Wiring a '66 Cutlass Conv.

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Wiring a '66 Cutlass Conv.

Hey all, I have been having issues with my electrical system from left turn signals (front and rear) not blinking but right side does, to brittle breaking wires. To avoid an electrical short or worse, a fire, is re-wiring the car a project for a novice, or am I going to need professional help? I would like to start with the engine/lights harnesses and "Painless" is the only company I have found that might work. I think it is a universal, but from past experience, universal doesn't always fit the way they say it will, and they are pretty pricey.

Any info would be helpful. Thank you.
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM

M & H factory fit exact reproductions are they way to go www.wiringharness.com
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Gary

You might want to try M&H Electric unless you already have

http://www.wiringharness.com/

or American Autowire

http://www.americanautowire.com/
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Thank you both for the info. Now for the second part of my question... is this a job I can do myself or will I need a professional? I know very little about auto wiring, but if it was as simple as unplug old harness "A" and plug in new harness "A"... I would give it a shot. I know some wiring has been modified and/or bypassed over the years, so I can see how it could become puzzling at some point. Just thought I would ask.
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by JSGD1966
Thank you both for the info. Now for the second part of my question... is this a job I can do myself or will I need a professional? I know very little about auto wiring, but if it was as simple as unplug old harness "A" and plug in new harness "A"... I would give it a shot. I know some wiring has been modified and/or bypassed over the years, so I can see how it could become puzzling at some point. Just thought I would ask.
I used M&H myself for all of my wiring harness, and its pretty much in my opinion really easy to use. They have all the correct ends and lengths and color code is correct. It a matter of plug and play. I highly recommend them and some of the other on this site highly recommend them also. From what I have seen with other members comments stay away from "Painless Wiring Harness" because from what I have read from others its hardly painless. The only draw back I have with the harness from M& H its not labeled but they have technical support that can help you if you need assistance,
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:22 PM

If you have a digital camera take a lot of pics. Maybe I'm just feeble minded, but a day later I find myself wondering "did this go over/under/behind that?" Especially under the dash, where running it correctly means the difference between everything fitting or not.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

If by "rewire" you actually mean "replace the harness with a repro", that's very easy to do so long as you take good notes or digital photos of how everything connects. You'll be time and money ahead if you start with a quality reproduction harness and not a one-size-fits-none "painful" harness.