Strange Cluster issue

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Strange Cluster issue

I have a goofy issue with my 1966 Toro gauge cluster. I originally had no temp/fuel or volt gauge operation, dash lights operated correctly including turn signals & add on flarestat flasher (except bulb in flarestat switch will not luminate for some odd reason)

Sounded like a ground issue to me. So I pulled the cluster, repaired some previously poor wire splices and as I started to reassemble I wanted to check dash bulb operation & found as soon as I turn on the headlight switch to even just the 1st indent, temp & fuel gauge peg to way past hot & empty repectively and the left turn signal bulb comes on (steady, no flash) but no other dash lights or flasher inop. Even tried a spare cluster & it does the same thing.

There is no ground wire from ignition switch to harness back to gauges & per wire diagram ther isn't supposed to be (usually dark green as in my 65 dyn 88 & I found that to be a bit strange.) I feel I'm missing something quite simple or obvious like not hooking up all the switches while I was doing this but I can't see not have the radio or wiper switches plugged in causing that.

Is there suppose to be a ground strap from the back of the cluster to frame/harness?? There is a open screw hole in the circuit board just below the grey center speedo light plug and that looks as if it's missing a bolt there.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appriciated.