Rally Steering Wheel horn button

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Question Rally Steering Wheel horn button

I bought a 72 Cutlass with a Rally steering wheel. Well the horn did not work, So I pulled the horn button off and what I'm missing is the pin,spring and bushing that goes in the hole. I got one threw Ebay and it looked like the right one, but it seems to short. So I'm not sure is the part with 3 screws that has the L shaped on the back suppose to push that pin all the way in? It seems like the pin is not making contact to the bottom of the hole. If I push the pin in with a scewdriver and ground it to the steering wheel the horn works. It looks like I need a longer pin, Just not sure how this all works. Ron & Barb.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:54 PM

I tried this again and I now see that the L shaped piece on the back does not touch the pin. So I must have the wrong pin even though it fits in the hole with the bushing very nice. Now I'm not sure where I'll find the right pin, bushing and spring. Barb.
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rmoths
I tried this again and I now see that the L shaped piece on the back does not touch the pin. So I must have the wrong pin even though it fits in the hole with the bushing very nice. Now I'm not sure where I'll find the right pin, bushing and spring. Barb.
The spring goes in first, then the pin, then the plastic ring. The pin does not bottom in the hole, it simply compresses the spring to make up for any manufacturing tolerances in the shape of the "L". There are different length pins (the OEM ones are actually hollow eyelets). Any Chevy repro parts house sells the kit (spring, pin, and plastic ring), since this design was used on Corvettes, Camaros, and Chevelles. I most recently bought a set at Carlisle for something like $5.95.
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:29 PM

OK, The spring goes in the hole first , Then the Pin and the bushing goes on top of the Pin and spring. I put the bushing on the pin then put the spring on the pin. Is there a part number for this pin,spring and bushing. Thanks Barb.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, The spring goes in the hole first , Then the Pin and the bushing goes on top of the Pin and spring. I put the bushing on the pin then put the spring on the pin. Is there a part number for this pin,spring and bushing. Thanks Barb.
I don't have the GM part number handy, but here's one of many vendors who sell them:

http://www.ecklerschevelle.com/cheve...1964-1972.html

Also, do NOT be mislead by this photo. The spring does NOT go over the pin.

Old April 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM

Thanks! I think I may have it now. The spring goes in then the pin (flange side or flared side on the spring). THEN the Bushing. OH, I hope this is right!
Thanks for you're help. Barb.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks! I think I may have it now. The spring goes in then the pin (flange side or flared side on the spring). THEN the Bushing. OH, I hope this is right!
Thanks for you're help. Barb.
Correct. Spring in the hole first, pin next with flared side towards the spring, then the plastic bushing. A quarter turn on the bushing locks it in place in the cancel cam, and the pin will be sticking out to contact the "L" on the horn ring.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM

OK!! I got the horn to work, but sounds like a sick mule. So now to find a set of horns. I want to thank you for you're help. Barb.
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

OK!! I got the horn to work, but sounds like a sick mule. So now to find a set of horns. I want to thank you for you're help. Barb.
Unfortunately the sick mule sound is common when the horns go bad. Glad you got the contact worked out.