Missing wiring on 65 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Missing wiring on 65 Cutlass

I purchased a 1965 Olds Cutlass convertible to restore and keep me busy this winter and finally got the ownership papers sorted out with the province of BC. I worked on a 69 MGB last year so my brain is thinking British wiring so I may be wrong but I don't think a speaker wire jammed into the "transmission control" fuse going to the coil is right!!!
I have a few questions that I can not work out from the service manual wiring diagram so here goes:
1) What wires go to the solinoid? I currently have the battery cable and the large purple wire attached. Should the yellow wire with the black tracer (ignition by pass) be attached as well?
2) What should be going to the ignition coil (assuming the speaker wire is wrong)? There is currently a brown wire with a braided cover and a yellow wire with a black tracer cutoff the harness by the coil, should these both go to the coil?
3) The wiring between the throttle linkage for pitch and downshift is gone. I still have the orange wire in the harness that I think goes to the linkage but not sure which connector. I have attached 2 pictures of the connectors and would appreciate it if someone could say which connector goes where. ie: orange wire goes to A, B connector goes to 1 and C connector goes to 2?

Transmission connector

Throttle linkage
ring between the throttle linkage for pitch and downshift is gone. I still have the orange wire in the harness that I think goes to the linkage but not sure which connector. I have attached 2 pictures of the connectors and would appreciate it if someone could say which connector goes where. ie: orange wire goes to A, B connector goes to 1 and C connector goes to 2?
Old January 30th, 2019, 07:45 PM

I think that the trans control harness is available from Lectric Limited for a reasonable price.
Steve
Old January 30th, 2019, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info on Lectric Limited. I looked up the transmission harness and it was only $18, unfortunately the shipping to Canada is crazy. I will search around to see if there is a more local supplier unless someone can tell me which leads are connected then I can make the cable. Thanks.
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dalet
I purchased a 1965 Olds Cutlass convertible to restore and keep me busy this winter and finally got the ownership papers sorted out with the province of BC. I worked on a 69 MGB last year so my brain is thinking British wiring so I may be wrong but I don't think a speaker wire jammed into the "transmission control" fuse going to the coil is right!!!

Probably not. Do you still have points or an HEI?

I have a few questions that I can not work out from the service manual wiring diagram so here goes:
1) What wires go to the solinoid? I currently have the battery cable and the large purple wire attached. Should the yellow wire with the black tracer (ignition by pass) be attached as well?

Purple goes to the R terminal and the black bypass wire goes to the I terminal.

2) What should be going to the ignition coil (assuming the speaker wire is wrong)? There is currently a brown wire with a braided cover and a yellow wire with a black tracer cutoff the harness by the coil, should these both go to the coil?

If your still running points then connect the both brown resistance and the black wire to the coil+ terminal.

3) The wiring between the throttle linkage for pitch and downshift is gone. I still have the orange wire in the harness that I think goes to the linkage but not sure which connector. I have attached 2 pictures of the connectors and would appreciate it if someone could say which connector goes where. ie: orange wire goes to A, B connector goes to 1 and C connector goes to 2?

Transmission connector

Throttle linkage
ring between the throttle linkage for pitch and downshift is gone. I still have the orange wire in the harness that I think goes to the linkage but not sure which connector. I have attached 2 pictures of the connectors and would appreciate it if someone could say which connector goes where. ie: orange wire goes to A, B connector goes to 1 and C connector goes to 2?
The orange wire connects to A, not 100% sure but I believe B goes to the trans connector 1 terminal and C goes to 2. The switch pitch is the terminal on the throttle switch that is closed in both the relaxed and the wot throttle position, but off in between. The passing gear is only near wot. If its locked in passing gear just switch the 2 wires at the trans. You can make your own harness by running 2 wires from the switch to the trans with some 12ga wire, 1/4 female spade terminals and some heat shrink.
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

On the trans connector, terminal #1 is the converter pitch and terminal #2 is the kickdown. On the firewall switch, test for continuity with the linkage in the idle position. I believe these should be A and C. If so, C should be the converter pitch, A should be 12V in, and B should be kickdown.
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and info Eric and Joe. It's great to have a group of knowledgeable people that are willing to share their expertise, saves a lot of head banging.
I am still running points for now, I'm not sure of the merits of going to an electronic system vs running points. I will defer the decision until I get the car back on the road.

Thanks for the help.
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

The spark plugs neither know nor care if the spark is triggered by mechanical points or an electronic sensor. Unless you are getting into a high end electronic system with variable dwell and other features, there will be no performance difference. The only reason why I've converted some of my cars to electronic is because I'm lazy and thus don't need to change points periodically.
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:46 AM
Administrator

The only reason I asked about which type of ignition is because the 3 different types that are most used need different voltage/wiring requirements. As stated above, remove the wire running from the trans fuse to the coil+ terminal. Connect the tan and yellow w/black tracer wire to the coil+ terminal.