M&H harness, tape sloughed off

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2019, 12:24 PM

M&H harness, tape sloughed off

I installed an M&H wiring harness on my 67 and literally in 2 months and about 10 miles of driving all the tape the harness was wrapped in had sloughed off and the wires are just hanging there. Was it supposed to get wrapped in something else? Not real happy about it.
Old July 6th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Did you wrap it or did it come wrapped? Not that familiar with aftermarket harnesses.
Old July 6th, 2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Did you wrap it or did it come wrapped? Not that familiar with aftermarket harnesses.
I put it on as it came out of the box...
Old July 6th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Then a call to M&H is probably warranted. The tape should not unravel.
Old July 6th, 2019, 02:09 PM

Who ???

I have never heard of this company.. so I looked them up.. this is what I found, so if it was ME, I would have called them as soon as I noticed this..

Reference this C&P from their website!!

M & H Electric Fabricators manufactures a complete line of exact reproduction wiring harnesses, battery cables and switches for Classic GM, Chrysler and AMCMuscle Cars.All of our harnesses are hand assembled to original OEM specifications to ensure a perfect fit in your classic Muscle Car. Wire gauge, length, color and tape are exactly like stock original down to the last detail. Our rigid Quality Control Standards ensure that the harness you receive will look, fit and function as original. In fact, we are so confident in the quality of our harnesses that we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
I have been buying wiring kits for many years and have never had this happen.. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Thirdcoast
Old July 6th, 2019, 03:50 PM

I had two of their harnesses on my 442 and had zero issues with them. I would contact them and take pictures of everything.
Old July 6th, 2019, 04:36 PM

I have used M&H for years with no issues. They are the largest supplier of aftermarket wiring harness's for classic cars.
Old July 6th, 2019, 09:11 PM

I have an engine harness, forward light harness, intermediate harness, rear light harness and courtesy light harness - all made by M&H - no issues. M&H supplies YearOne and other resto parts companies with replacement wire harnesses.
Old July 8th, 2019, 10:48 AM

I’m going to guess the end of the wrap came untied, either from the factory, or accidentally when you installed it. The wrap isn’t sticky, it’s just wrapped tightly until the end of the harness, and then is tied in a knot. I think I would try to re-wrap and tie it myself instead of going thru the hassle of removing it and sending it back. Or I would wait until the winter to remove it. Summer isn’t long enough to have the car down, enjoy the car while the weather is good!
Old July 8th, 2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I’m going to guess the end of the wrap came untied, either from the factory, or accidentally when you installed it. The wrap isn’t sticky, it’s just wrapped tightly until the end of the harness, and then is tied in a knot. I think I would try to re-wrap and tie it myself instead of going thru the hassle of removing it and sending it back. Or I would wait until the winter to remove it. Summer isn’t long enough to have the car down, enjoy the car while the weather is good!
This ^
Old July 11th, 2019, 01:27 PM

I had a 67 C/S console harness built by them, the light sockets used were put on backwards, instead of the 3/8" socket it had a 1/2" one, and the other way around. Between OPGI and M&H, I received a new one, even after 4 years in storage. So these companies do stand behind there work when givin the chance.