A little alternator wiring help

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:01 PM

A little alternator wiring help

I have a 71 350 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I also have an ammeter that was installed by the previous owner. The ammeter has never worked and I never much cared.

In the process of figuring out some other wiring issues I learned that I have a 3-wire Delco 10si (I think) alternator. I also discovered why the ammeter doesn't show anything. The connection from the "F" terminal is wired in series to the ammeter, but it gets broken after that. It was wrapped in electrical tape so I couldn't see that it was disconnected. I have no idea where it goes from the break...

The "R" connection is hooked up to the BAT light which works as it should.

So here are the questions:
  • It appears the "F" (field sense) wire is not hooked up. How is the alternator working? What is it sensing?
  • Why would anyone wire the ammeter in series with the "F" terminal? Would it ever show anything?
  • I'd like to take the ammeter out and replace it with a voltmeter. Is there any reason I should reconnect it the way it was "intended" by the PO?

Please have a look at my excellent drawing (its horrible), but you should get the idea of what I am seeing...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Alternator_3.jpg (23.4 KB, 61 views)
Alternator_2.jpg (31.8 KB, 67 views)
Alternator_1.jpg (41.1 KB, 64 views)
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM

kind of neat info

check this link out and see if it helps ....

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...reewire3.shtml
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Just the facts...

you have a 10dn(externally regulated alternator). the F terminal is the field power for the rotor, it should route back to the regulator on the firewall. the R terminal also should route back to the regulator. somebody that shouldn't have touched an electrical system has been busy under your hood. the 2 blue wire ends should be spliced together(currently, there is a green spliced to that blue). if memory serves me, that is the oil pressure idiot light circuit wire(green wire). i would highly recommend you find a wiring diagram for your vehicle and check everything over thoroughly.
that red 10 gauge for the output wire will be fine, 10dn alternators weren't exactly "powerhouses". that connection to the horn relay is actually the main power distribution stud and is exactly where the alternator output terminal should be connected to.

have you measured the charging voltage when the car is running with light electrical load vs. heavy electrical load? i bet you'll find a problem there.

bill

Last edited by BILL DEMMER; April 17th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1, Bill.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Hi Bill - Thanks for the info.

The green wire is routed to the the ammeter (and NOT original to the car at all). The other green wire which is disconnected from the splice is coming back from the other side of the ammeter and looks like it was intended to be spliced back into the blue (F) wire.

10dn is the model number - you are correct. So knowing it is externally regulated, where would the regulator normally be mounted? What should I be looking for? Sorry for the dumb questions but I want to follow each of the wires and figure out what's going on.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM

The regulator is a little black box on the firewall passenger side if I remember correctly. I think it has 4 wires coming out of it.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Here is a pic of the voltage regulator on the firewall, factory mounting spot (to the right of the coil). I just went through the harness that goes to it. Maybe able to help if you have any questions.
Attached Images
Cutlass rebuild 084.jpg (89.9 KB, 54 views)
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by boese1978
Here is a pic of the voltage regulator on the firewall, factory mounting spot (to the right of the coil). I just went through the harness that goes to it. Maybe able to help if you have any questions.
not sure if im doing this right but i have a newb question... what is that battery looking thing attached to the voltage regulator?? i just rewired my cutlass back up and mine doesnt have it.. mines a 70 cutlass S model if it matters.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM

That is a condenser. They keep static and "whine" away from your radio.
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM

That is a condenser. They keep static and "whine" away from your radio.
ahhhhhhhh thanks for the schooling. i have a lot to learn...
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Thanks everybody for the info. Now to dig into my wiring harness and figure out what's going on...