lights

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM

lights

I'm new to this but what the heck here I go. I'm having trouble with my 1979 98 regency. The gen. light stays on along with the left turn signal when I turn on the headlights I have had the battery check at first it showed unstable on the reading than it finally stablize n the alternator checked out ok along with the regulator.Everything checks out ok. So what is my problem?
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. I would venture a guess that you may have a bad turn signal switch or headlight switch or wiring since you said it stays on all the time when the headlights are on. Either one of those could be causing a "soft short" to ground which would drain your battery and work against the charging system. This could also explain the "gen" light being on all the time. Remove the fuse that protects the headlight circuit and see if your gen light stops illuminating. And the same with the turn signal fuse (if it isn't the same, not sure). This will at least narrow down the problem some. There could be other troubles as well, bad grounds, worn wiring someplace, the list goes on and on.
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Lights

Check all your bulbs on that side,one front or back is bad,The indicator light on the dash also serves as a warning light
.Dim bulbs ,bad ground .as far as gen light check belt tension
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM

battery went dead now.

Since I mention about the problem I'm having with the blinker light staying on when I turn on the headlights. The battery went dead I did not have time to check out anything on the car since it is about 120 miles from where I live . Its a car I use at my away home point. What happened than??????? One of my freinds was driving it when this happened . He say that the gen. lite was blinking for awhile and than he shut the car off an later that day he got in it and tried to start but the battery was dead. He opened the hood n said that the fan belt was loose , he tighten it got a jump and the gen. light went out, but when he shut it off it would not start.Is there a short ???????

Last edited by knighttrain; September 2nd, 2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM

I would have the ALT & Battery tested first.It can be done on the car.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM

Done

Thank you about having them check, I already did and everything check out. You mention about a soft short is it possible to drain the battery that quick?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM

Easy test disconnect Neg batt cable & connect a test light in between the two or a 12 volt bulb, if it lights you have a drain. Note Make sure every thing is turned off, & door closed.Then start pulling fuses until you find the source. If nothing shows up unplug ALT as diodes will not show up under most testers.Ps soft short If a dome light uses 10 amps per hour and you have a450 amp Batt after about 30 hrs your dead