Intermittent Wipers

Old April 17th, 2019, 10:00 AM

Intermittent Wipers

Has anyone upgraded their car to modern intermittent wipers? If so, how did you go about it?
Old April 17th, 2019, 12:50 PM

Detroit Speed makes a kit for the 65-72 A-bodies. ONLY if your current wipers don't have the recessed park feature. There's a bunch of information on pro-touring.com on how to do utilize a 2000ish GM wiper motor. A multi-position switch with increasing ohm resistors on each pole will get you 6 (I think) different delays plus low and high. I've got one all working on the bench, but I still want the parking feature that I haven't worked out yet. I like the smaller, lighter wiper motor as well as the intermittent feature.
Old April 17th, 2019, 12:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

https://store.qkits.com/wind-shield-...le-mxa041.html

http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/delaywipers.htm
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:36 PM

http://www.revolutionelectronics.com...nt-wipers.html

how about this?
Old April 17th, 2019, 06:42 PM

I adapted delay wipers on my 69 using a wiper motor from a mid 90s Buick century. My local salvage yard gives me free run of the place, I got a bunch of steering columns from cars that were about to be crushed. I tore down each column, used the best parts, used my original lock cylinder and hazard switch ****, and reassembled and painted it to match the interior. The wiper controls are now on the steering column like later GM cars, along with the dimmer switch on the turn signal lever. I also added the “flash to pass” feature. I bought a aftermarket cruise kit and used the cruise controls on the turn signal lever. The hardest part was fabricating a mounting plate to adapt the later wiper motor to the early car firewall, and the position the motor in a way that the wipers park in the correct location. The spot in the dash where the wiper switch was located now has the controls for the Gear Vendor.
Old April 18th, 2019, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
This is what I had in mind. Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2019, 04:58 AM

Back in the '80s, I built a programmable wiper delay from plans published in Radio Electronics magazine. It connected between the factory switch and factory motor, and used a memory chip to remember the delay. How it worked was:
1) When you first turned on your wipers, they would work normally, LO or HI speed mode.
2) If the rain was light, you turned the wipers OFF, and then when needed again, back ON.
3) The circuit remembered the length of time between the OFF and ON and would repeat that delay until you turned the wipers OFF.
4) If you turned the wipers OFF again, it would start remembering the delay again until you turned them back ON.
5) If you wanted them ON continuously, you simply turned them OFF then back ON quickly for no delay.
6) Once it was OFF, after a few minutes (the max delay), it would reset and be ready to turn ON continuously like the first time.

I built 2 of these circuits, each used a handful of CMOS chips and a relay, one for my Cutlass and the other for my Toronado I had at the time. Cost was ~$30 each with parts from Radio Shack or Jameco. I think it connected w/ 4 wires and only needed to cut 1 wire between the switch and the wiper motor. Fit in a box about the size of a match box and tucked up under the dash. Nobody knew it was there.