Help wiring new tripple guage

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Help wiring new tripple guage

Hello everyone, I bought a new tripple guage for my 70 cutlass. It has engine temp, oil pressure and volt guage on it. I have ran the wiring and tubing for the water temp and oil pressure through the firewall already. My question is for the lights in the guages it says to splice into the cars lighting circuit between the dimmer switch and the dash lights. Can anyone help me out with where that is? Also I need to find a good spot to hook up the volt guage. I need a spot that is only hot when the ignition is on. Anyone done this and found a good spot for that? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Lights: Grey wire.

Volt meter: Solder on a ¼" female spade terminal and plug in to IGN lug in fuse block.

- Eric
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM

So for the lights I only need to find the grey wire coming off of the light switch and splice in there? What is a good way to splice it?
Old April 27th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Y'know, as I think about it, and without crawling under the dash to look, I think I recall a lug for the panel lights on the fuse block as well...

If it's there, it will be at the bottom, next to the small INST LPS fuse.

If not, then tap into the grey wire the way you't tap into any wire:
  • "Tap Soldering"**

This method is used when tapping into other wires. For instance installing alarms or remote starters where the factory wiring needs to be tapped into but not lose its original strength.

• "How to Solder"

Strip back about an inch of insulation from the middle of the wire being tapped. Use some type of probe (a dental pick or a small flat head screwdriver) to separate the wire.

Strip back an inch of insulation from the tapping wire, insert in the middle of the original wire, then twist them all together.

Prime the tip of the soldering iron with a little solder.

Hold the the iron on wire until a little solder is drawn into the wire. Now apply the solder to the point where wire and iron meet letting solder be drawn into the whole connection.
    Again, less is more here, if you can’t see the outline of the wire when you are done, yet see a blob of solder, you used way too much.

Run your fingers over the entire length of the solder and make sure no wires are sticking out that might pierce the insulation.
    Now either wrap tightly with quality electrical tape or apply heat shrink. Be careful not to scorch the heat shrink or you'll end up having to tape over it anyway.

** Lifted from MMExpress.

- Eric
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM

That is great info, thank you
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM

My tripple guage is in. Volt meter, temp guage, and oil guage along with the lights are all working properly. Thanks for the info
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Great! Glad to help!

- Eric