Help with wires in stock AM radio

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM

Help with wires in stock AM radio

Hey guys, I found a few guides to a mod where you can install an auxiliary jack into a stock AM radio, since I really like the look and feel of my stock 1969 Cutlass radio I'd like to do this mod and keep it while still being able to listen to music or the GPS from my phone. Anyway, for this mod according to the guides I need to find the AM sound input wire that runs to the volume **** and splice into it. From what I can see there are 3 wires that come from what I believe is the right pot. A green, a blue, and a back. I'm guessing black is ground? They all connect to the circuit board up top, its hard to trace after that. I'm hoping someone can look at these pics and determine which wires are which, specifically which one is the sound input to the actual volume adjuster, that I need to splice into.

9404C467-7CD3-40F2-899C-5B6CDA09B598_zpsrzlvxpgk.jpg

Here are the wires off the volume adjuster
E1AA68D5-06E3-4520-B519-A16D665031FB_zpszhhudw7y.jpg

You can see those 3 wires run up from the volume adjuster (bottom left) to the circuit board
840022F4-320A-49F5-9568-CB888ED6DEE0_zpsesclpjl1.jpg

Another blue wire runs from the circuit board to some sort of round unit (sorry I'm not to familiar with the innards of AM radios ) E4452683-5161-44A6-8AB4-02C101BC073F_zpswnyhq0ch.jpg

Both a blue wire from that same terminal, AND a green wire off the circuit board of the same color as the one from the volume **** go to this smaller unit on the back
8E70A71A-0B63-4448-91F5-8D4341854E1C_zpsxulj1psq.jpg

external pic of said smaller unit
F478A414-D889-446B-AA17-BA39AA0E59F3_zpsx6m8pebf.jpg
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Runner

Thats a cool idea. Where did you find the guides for the mod?
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Does the mod info you are using mention if you are to cut one of the wires going to the volume pot (thus, disabling the AM Tuner part of the radio) or just tap on? It would seem that if the tuner output wire is not cut, you would still have input from the tuner section causing interference. Also, are there 2 sections to the volume pot, or just one?
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
Thats a cool idea. Where did you find the guides for the mod?
Heres links to a couple sites that cover the basic idea of it. Seems that wiring is universal for most radios if you can figure out which wire
This one is the best written one (imo)
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55...own-aux-input/

Another for a ford truck radio
http://www.instructables.com/id/Addi...layer-to-an-O/

Heres a guy doing it to his Corvair radio
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/nallm/mp3jackinamfm.htm

Originally Posted by RandyS
Does the mod info you are using mention if you are to cut one of the wires going to the volume pot (thus, disabling the AM Tuner part of the radio) or just tap on? It would seem that if the tuner output wire is not cut, you would still have input from the tuner section causing interference. Also, are there 2 sections to the volume pot, or just one?
You just tap into the wire, tuner runs thru the jack. The jack as a switch that when you plug in your MP3 device it cuts signal from the tuner and sends the signal from the auxiliary instead. You unplug your device and bam, back to AM radio. I believe there are 3 sections to the pots, one of them being the tone adjustment, one being on/off and the other being the actual volume which is the one you wanna play with. I'm 99% sure thats the one with the 3 wires in my pic
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by yamahondarider
Heres links to a couple sites that cover the basic idea of it. Seems that wiring is universal for most radios if you can figure out which wire
This one is the best written one (imo)
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55...own-aux-input/

Another for a ford truck radio
http://www.instructables.com/id/Addi...layer-to-an-O/

Heres a guy doing it to his Corvair radio
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/nallm/mp3jackinamfm.htm

You just tap into the wire, tuner runs thru the jack. The jack as a switch that when you plug in your MP3 device it cuts signal from the tuner and sends the signal from the auxiliary instead. You unplug your device and bam, back to AM radio. I believe there are 3 sections to the pots, one of them being the tone adjustment, one being on/off and the other being the actual volume which is the one you wanna play with. I'm 99% sure thats the one with the 3 wires in my pic
I just reviewed the link you posted, and was I think I was able to decipher what he was intending.
In a very simple nutshell, a radio consists of a Tuner and an Amplifier. What this mod does it change the route of the connection between the two.

You do need to splice in to the wire (cut and reconnect or unsolder at the pot) that brings the signal to the Volume Control (pot, short for potentiometer). He is working on a Datsun radio, which may or may not have similar physical setup for the volume control functions as an Olds radio. In his drawing, the word 'Antenna' should read 'Tuner'. I can't tell from your pic which is the proper one to splice in to, but it will be an end terminal of the pot, not a center one (center is usually output). Your assumption on Black being ground it more than likely correct.
So, you would cut a wire giving you 2 free ends (or an end and an ear on the pot if you unsolder the wire). The end from the circuit board gets attached to terminal 3 on the new jack (assuming you use the exact jack shown), and the other wire on the jack, terminal 5, gets attached to the wire end going to the pot. Be sure to solder these connections and use shrink tube to seal the joints.
The way the jack is designed, if nothing is plugged in to it, it connects the tuner to the amp like in the original circuit and you play AM. When something is plugged in to the jack, that source goes to the amp and is output on your car speaker(s).
I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I just reviewed the link you posted, and was I think I was able to decipher what he was intending.
In a very simple nutshell, a radio consists of a Tuner and an Amplifier. What this mod does it change the route of the connection between the two.

You do need to splice in to the wire (cut and reconnect or unsolder at the pot) that brings the signal to the Volume Control (pot, short for potentiometer). He is working on a Datsun radio, which may or may not have similar physical setup for the volume control functions as an Olds radio. In his drawing, the word 'Antenna' should read 'Tuner'. I can't tell from your pic which is the proper one to splice in to, but it will be an end terminal of the pot, not a center one (center is usually output). Your assumption on Black being ground it more than likely correct.
So, you would cut a wire giving you 2 free ends (or an end and an ear on the pot if you unsolder the wire). The end from the circuit board gets attached to terminal 3 on the new jack (assuming you use the exact jack shown), and the other wire on the jack, terminal 5, gets attached to the wire end going to the pot. Be sure to solder these connections and use shrink tube to seal the joints.
The way the jack is designed, if nothing is plugged in to it, it connects the tuner to the amp like in the original circuit and you play AM. When something is plugged in to the jack, that source goes to the amp and is output on your car speaker(s).
I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
Awesome, thank you for taking the time to write that out, pretty sure I can wrap my mind around it now. So, just to double check I'm looking for one of the outer 3 terminals on the pot as the center terminal is an output correct? One of the outer terminals is likely a ground, which means the only remaining outer terminal must be the wire I need to splice? I went ahead and grabbed my multi-meter and found that the black wire is the ground. I just need to double check and look to see which color wire is on the other-outside terminal.
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by yamahondarider
Awesome, thank you for taking the time to write that out, pretty sure I can wrap my mind around it now. So, just to double check I'm looking for one of the outer 3 terminals on the pot as the center terminal is an output correct? One of the outer terminals is likely a ground, which means the only remaining outer terminal must be the wire I need to splice? I went ahead and grabbed my multi-meter and found that the black wire is the ground. I just need to double check and look to see which color wire is on the other-outside terminal.
Yes, you are correct. Again, you want to try to determine which of the little round gizmo's in the radio is the volume pot, and not the fader. Best of luck!