Generator to CS alternator conversion wiring

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2014, 06:57 AM

Generator to CS alternator conversion wiring

Generator on the 56 took a dump. Time for an upgrade. I have a CS130 alt to install. The question is wiring it to the 'Gen' light. Can the field (F) or (L) of the CS be used in place of the OE generator wiring for the indicator light? I plan to run a new 8 GA wire from the CS to the Junction block.

The field or (F) wire needs to hooked up to Ign hot do the alt shuts off and doesnt create a draw. Can this be used for the light or Should the 'L' terminal be used in place of the 'F'? Will just the 'L' hooked up to the 12v light source do the same as the 'f' or field being hooked up to ign hot? I have heard a few ways and get confused. On the 56 , the gen light is fed 12v via key on and used the ground of the charging system when it is not producing voltage. Simply put, the 12v sources cancel and the light goes out.
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Takid455
Generator on the 56 took a dump. Time for an upgrade. I have a CS130 alt to install. The question is wiring it to the 'Gen' light. Can the field (F) or (L) of the CS be used in place of the OE generator wiring for the indicator light? I plan to run a new 8 GA wire from the CS to the Junction block.

The field or (F) wire needs to hooked up to Ign hot do the alt shuts off and doesnt create a draw. Can this be used for the light or Should the 'L' terminal be used in place of the 'F'? Will just the 'L' hooked up to the 12v light source do the same as the 'f' or field being hooked up to ign hot? I have heard a few ways and get confused. On the 56 , the gen light is fed 12v via key on and used the ground of the charging system when it is not producing voltage. Simply put, the 12v sources cancel and the light goes out.
I did exactly this swap on my 62 F-85. It works great. The CS130 is nice because it is set up to go either way. You can use the L terminal through the GEN light, or you can use the F terminal directly to switched power. Either way is acceptable, and you don't need to use both. Note that this is a difference from the older 12SI alternators.

The only other thing to be aware of is that the CS130 must have a good ground to the rear frame of the alternator. Failure to do so can lead to regulator failure. There is a TSB out on this. If your mounting bracket doesn't bolt to the rear frame, then simply run a ground strap from one of the threaded mounting holes on the back of the alternator to a good ground on the block.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:44 PM

Thats what I figured. All wired up and charging. thanks!

On to the next upgrade...Power steering. R&P perhaps?
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:27 PM

1 small issue. Alternator (alt) is causing a 12.13-12.43V drain causing battery to go low on voltage and unable to start car. Do I have something wired incorrectly?

What we have:
8GA w/ 12ga fuasable link for 'bat' terminal on rear of alt to factory battery/starter junction block on LH fender

16 GA w/ 20ga fuseable link from 'L' pin on alt plug to factory brown 'gen' light wire.

S, F and P pins on alt plug are not being used

Factory voltage regulator has been removed as alt has it own internal regulator. I dont see this being the issue though.

Through testing, it is confirmed alt is causing the draw.

With key off, 'L' pin was jumped with direct ground and had no affect on voltage draw.

Alt does charge properly when in operation

Alt is grounded to engine via mounts. Checked via continuity tester and resistance is negligible.

Gen light flickers per se' w/ key on and engine off. Never goes out but its not a steady light. Light does however goes out as soon a engine starts as it should.

What am I missing here?

Last edited by Takid455; November 9th, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Takid455
What we have:
8GA w/ 12ga fuasable link for 'bat' terminal on rear of alt to factory battery/starter junction block on LH fender

16 GA w/ 20ga fuseable link from 'L' pin on alt plug to factory brown 'gen' light wire.

S, F and P pins on alt plug are not being used
The "S" terminal is the sense terminal that should be wired to the post on the horn relay, or at least to the BATT stud on the alternator. Also, be sure you have a good ground to the rear half of the case.

user7146_pic943_1262911052.jpg