Fuel Sending Unit-Ground, 67

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM

Fuel Sending Unit-Ground, 67

67 442

'new' purchase. on a lift right now, so I tried to do a brief walk around.

gas/fuel sending unit:

appears there is a ground wire that bolts/connects to the tank strap bolt.

The end going back to the unit is broken off. I assume this was to ground the sending unit.

Is it a hard connection (soldered) back to the sending unit or was it a slip connector over a tab? or other?

I'm trying to figure out if I can crimp a connector and reattach, or I'm looking at having to pull the sending unit to fix it.

-OTHER: Is there a schematic or diagram of the sending unit setup online? I've ordered a service manual for it, but it may be a week or more before it gets here.

Thanks,
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Past Administrator

Is there any way to take a picture of this? I think they used a terminal lug under one of the mounting screws on one end (is that the end you say is broken off?).
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Can't get picture today.

It is bolted to tank strap to ground to car. The wire then hangs loose, which I assume was supposed to be connected to the sending unit in some fashion.

Thanks
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I think there was a .250" male quickconect tab that was part of the locking ring for the sender, or it might have been on the sender/pickup plate itself. when i pulled my tank on a '57 88 to install a return line, I neglected to reconect this wire and lost the gauge. In my case the only fix was to drop the tank to get to the sender/pickup plate since there was no other place to connect a ground to the tank. Once the ground was reconnected all was well. Without that ground, the sender has no way to make the signal to 'send' the information to the gauge. The tank usually wont ground just through the mounting straps.
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:54 PM

It evidently is picking up enough ground somehow or another as I put some gas in it, and the needle came up the appropriate amount.

???
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM

and maybe it will ground through the mounting straps... But that may become an intermitent connection. Long story short, I wouldnt worry about it unless the gauge starts acting strange. The wire would just make sure you have a good ground path in addition to whatever is grounding it now.