blower motor wiring under dash

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:01 PM
bdg

blower motor wiring under dash

Hi guys fng here first post. I'm working on 72 cutlass trying to get blower motor to work.Going behind other people wiring is a nightmare.Spagehti undfer dash.Question is i have a 2 wire connector under dash female both wire are purple.I can power one and blower runs on high.The connector is by the steering colum were does it plug into. to get the motor to work when i turn the switch on.
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:00 AM

That sounds like your clutch neutral safety switch wiring - it keeps you from starting your car without the clutch depressed. Do you have a 4-speed?
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:05 AM

Get on eBay and find a Chassis Service Manual for your car - it will contain all the wiring diagrams you need to trace these wires and help you figure out what you have under your dash - plus a thousand other things you'll need to know as you go through your car.
Old February 9th, 2019, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

As noted, the connector with two purple wires is for the neutral safety switch (or clutch safety switch for a manual trans). If powering one of those makes the fan motor turn, you have much bigger wiring problems. How about you tell us more detail. For example, is this an original floor shift car or a column shift car that was converted? Is the backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column still in place? Does (or did) the car have A/C or heat-only? All of these questions affect the wiring.
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Administrator

The only other 2 wire connecter with a purple wire that's inside the cabin is the turn signal flasher unit by the steering column.
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The only other 2 wire connecter with a purple wire that's inside the cabin is the turn signal flasher unit by the steering column.
Sorry, that is not correct. On the OP's 1972, the only two terminal connector with two purple wires is the NSS connection, as stated above. The turn signal flasher pigtail has one purple and one green/white wire, as shown on the 1972 wiring diagram.
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:39 AM
bdg

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As noted, the connector with two purple wires is for the neutral safety switch (or clutch safety switch for a manual trans). If powering one of those makes the fan motor turn, you have much bigger wiring problems. How about you tell us more detail. For example, is this an original floor shift car or a column shift car that was converted? Is the backdrive linkage from the trans to the steering column still in place? Does (or did) the car have A/C or heat-only? All of these questions affect the wiring.
The car has ac looks to be original it was column shift i believe originally.It now has aftermarket floor shift.The vin number is 3J67H2M219115.TIA
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, that is not correct. On the OP's 1972, the only two terminal connector with two purple wires is the NSS connection, as stated above. The turn signal flasher pigtail has one purple and one green/white wire, as shown on the 1972 wiring diagram.
I believe thats what I said, that it only had 1 purple wire. Its dark under there and people do mistake wire colors all the time. Either way getting the blower to come on by applying power is a stretch in either case.
Old February 9th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I believe thats what I said, .
You did, sorry. I read it too fast and missed the word "other".

Originally Posted by bdg
The car has ac looks to be original it was column shift i believe originally.It now has aftermarket floor shift.The vin number is 3J67H2M219115.TIA
The H in the VIN says that the car was originally a 350 2bbl. Can we assume that the aftermarket floor shift means that there is no linkage from the trans to the steering column and that your stock neutral safety switch has been bypassed? Does the car start in any gear?

To your original question about the blower motor, the A/C cars used a high speed relay mounted on the firewall. There will be a purple wire from the blower motor to the relay. A black/orange wire with a 30A inline fuse runs from the threaded post on the horn relay to this high speed blower relay and provides power to the motor for high speed only. At all other speeds the motor gets power from the resistor in the HVAC box (the blue wire that runs from the resistor to the high speed relay), which in turn gets power from the HEATER-A/C fuse on the fuse panel.