72 Tail light wiring

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM

72 Tail light wiring

What is the correct wiring for the tail lights? I'm replacing old rusted sockets and am confused on the wiring. I have 2 dark green and 2 brown wires going to each side. (one pair for each lamp) HOWEVER, the left side has some extra wires tied in to the green and brown. There are 2 red and 2 black wires as I recall. The wiring schematic does not indicate these wires, and unless I'm reading the diagram wrong, it shows a yellow wire going into the left side lamps(originating from the turn signal switch) along with the brown wire. Also on the left side lamp sockets, there is a flattened black ground wire that comes from the rear of the socket and slips onto a prong on the lamp side of the socket. These sockets are toast, and I need tp replace them. Can I just connect the dark green and brown to the left side like the right side is connected and scrap these other extra wires? I think somebody MickeyMoused this years ago, as well as some other things on the car. Also, does the running light lamp go on the top or the bottom? Are both lamps supposed to be on at once? When I was testing them, one lamp was bright and one was dim when the lights were turned on. As you can see, I'm somewhat confused. Any input appreciated. Thanks, Chumley
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Yellow wire is LH turn & stop, Green RH & brown tail The other lt grn is back up & black is ground