71 Cutlass Blue wire mystery

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM

71 Cutlass Blue wire mystery

Cleaning and replacing bulbs, radio, carpet and found this blue wire. It is located under the dash behind the heater defroster blower box running behind the insulation. It is larger then most dash wires 14 or16 gauge? Tried to follow but no access. See photo.

71 olds, 350, points, external alternator/regulator with AC, no power windows, seats, antenna, doors or trunk. Plain Jane.

All wire routes below are based on blue wires in the wiring diagram and noted on car except for the CEC stuff.

Wire diagram engine side: 1) Windshield washer motor to firewall junction 2) alternator to regulator connection, 3) "CEC REV. RLY" to CEC Solenoid with tap to "Time Delay Relay" (don’t think I noted this relay, I only see one; the blower relay), 4) firewall junction box to directional signal/park light with tap to right market light (shown as light blue but is tapped in wire diagram from directional signal)

Passenger area has: 1) firewall junction box to windshield wiper & washer switch, 2) firewall junction to directional signal switch with tap to ”Printed CKT Conn” (this dark blue wire is labeled “drk blue” at the firewall junction and directional signal switch, but between them it is labeled “Pink-Black” in the wire diagram.

The light blue wires and other blue wires from the column and switches are light gauge 18 perhaps and this mystery Dark Blue wire is much thicker then all other blue wires.

I really don’t want to pull the heater defrost diffuser large box off the firewall to find this wire. The ductwork is tight and in good shape. I have the front off the blower box and can touch the wires going through the firewall grommet next to the gas pedal grommet. I can’t tell if this blue wire goes to the heater/blower or out to the engine area. I do know that the only wires through the grommet to the engine area are black with yellow, light green, green and blue. The green wire is heavier gauge.

I have tried to upload the wire diagram in 2 parts, but it is larger then allowed. Any suggestions? I will try to scan again to fit.

Can anyone solve this mystery? Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Blue wire 2.JPG (57.4 KB, 101 views)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM

It is for the rear radio speaker - very common question.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Oldsdruid

Which way does it go on the car floor? I'm thinking it may be a rear speaker wire.

Do you have the 1971 CSM diagram or an aftermarket? I ask because the only pink/black trace wire I see in the CSM diagram is the key warning buzzer. It shows the complete RH turn signal circuit as dark blue, thru the t/s switch and connector, the indicator lamp, the firewall connector and on to the park/turn and side marker lamps.

The pink/black trace wire also goes thru both those connectors.

EDIT: Well, Rob answered it while I was fumbling trying to read the wiring diagram.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

Rear speaker wire.
Returns through ground on these units.

- Eric
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM

I would not have guessed that. The front speaker wires are thinner, blue with stripe while the mystery blue wire (rear speaker wire) is all blue and thicker. Must need thickness for the long run to the back.

Rob that was quick.

Eric I did not know that speaker return was through ground.

Not sure of the producer of the wire diagram. perhaps aftermarket. Thanks rocketradier.

Mystery solved!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM

The thickness is greater most likely because of it running under the carpet with no protection. The CSM does not really mention the rear speaker; it might be in the body manual...