66 Delta 88 mystery wire.

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

66 Delta 88 mystery wire.

I've just gotten the engine back in my 66 Delta 88 project & I've gotten rid the old voltage regulator wiring & other wiring that is not needed or was replaced. I'm now left with one yellow wire with black stripe that is not shown on my wiring diagram. I have no idea where it goes or where it came from. Any suggestions? Thanks!

maybe this should be another post, but I figure some of you guys can probably answer both. I've got the power wire connected to the trans switch on the throttle linkage, but I don't know which of the other two connectors is for the kickdown & which is for the pitch, nor do I know which is which on the trans itself. How can I tell?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM

I would say the yellow with black stripe wire comes from the starter solenoid and goes to the coil if I remember right. It provides 12V to coil just when starting then the resistor wire lowers the voltage for running.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

the MSD instructions said to get rid of the resistance wire, so I did that. My coil and everything are wired in good working order. This wire will probably not be needed with my new ignition set-up. thanks
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:36 AM

The yellow wire with black tracer should be for the transmission control. It connects to the switch on the throttle linkage. The terminal that has voltage (ignition on, engine off) with the throttle in wide open position is the kickdown and should have a white wire. The terminal with voltage at idle is the switch pitch control and should have a black wire.
Good luck.
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Thanks. That's what I needed to know about the switch pitch/kickdown. According to my wiring diagram the orange wire is for the voltage to the switch, not the yellow/black one. I believed this to be correct because the length of the wire & the connector on it were both correct for the switch.
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Perhaps, but usually the orange wire is for the oil pressure sender switch.
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Just the facts...

the orange wire is positively for the transmission control switch. it is the power wire.

bill
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

thanks guys. Orange is power for kickdown/pitch & the yellow is 12 volt source from the ignition for the old ignition coil. Everything is a-ok now.
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

when I tested the wires to hook this thing up, I had one terminal with power to the pitch at no throttle & the other with power at wot. Now I'm getting power to the pitch wire at no throttle, losing power at mid throttle, then it powers back up at wot. No power to the kickdown side. Did my switch just go bad or what?