2 connections to IGN terminal?

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM

2 connections to IGN terminal?

Hey,
Can the HEI and electric choke both be connected to the ignition terminal on the fuse panel? If not, what would the best remedy be? How many connections there are too many?
What can the BAT terminal in the fuse panel be used for? Is it a constant voltage?
Thanks,
Rob
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Just the facts...

imo, the best way to do these connections is to use a relay with the coil being driven by the ign terminal. the supply pole of the relay could be connected to the wiper or heater fuse OR the bat terminal(which is always hot, regardless of the ignition switch). i prefer the double redundancy method. i used another relay driven by the oil pressure idiot light that switches the power to the electric choke off when the oil light is on. that prevents the choke from heating if the car stalls unattended during warm-up. don't overlook proper gauging of these wires and proper fusing too. use a relay with a 30 amp capacity and continuous duty ability.

bill

Last edited by BILL DEMMER; July 24th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
imo, the best way to do these connections is to use a relay with the coil being driven by the ign terminal. the supply pole of the relay could be connected to the wiper or heater fuse OR the bat terminal(which is always hot, regardless of the ignition switch). i prefer the double redundancy method. i used another relay driven by the oil pressure idiot light that switches the power to the electric choke off when the oil light is on. that prevents the choke from heating if the car stalls unattended during warm-up. don't overlook proper gauging of these wires and proper fusing too. use a relay with a 30 amp capacity and continuous duty ability.

bill
The relay idea sounds good. But in the interim just to get her started, I ran the choke to the oil idiot light as it's not used because I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. But after she started, the idiot light stayed on until I pulled the choke wire off. Is that a grounding issue?
Thanks,
Rob
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM

yes, you're grounding the idiot light thru the choke

I power the HEI by the IGN tap on the fuse block.

I power the electric choke by one of the wires that originally went to the TCS switch on the right side of the intake

Last edited by Blk71SX; July 26th, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
yes, you're grounding the idiot light thru the choke

I power the HEI by the IGN tap on the fuse block.

I power the electric choke by one of the wires that originally went to the TCS switch on the right side of the intake
and the choke will not function properly because the idiot light won't pass enough current to heat the choke. btw, the oil pressure switch is not rated for more current than a light bulb, about a 1/4 amp. the contacts may burn closed.

bill