1969 Cutlass 442 - Rear Passenger Blinker Issue

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2018, 10:20 PM

1969 Cutlass 442 - Rear Passenger Blinker Issue

Hey guys,
I am having an issue with my rear passenger blinker.

So when my headlights are off....the passenger and driver rear lights blink and the brake lights work perfectly when the pedal is applied. Even when the flashers are on they both blink perfectly.

The issue is when the headlights are on the drivers side works flawlessly as it should, but only the passenger light is lit up with only one filament. The flasher and the brake and turn signal do not light up. I replaced the bulbs and nothing changed. I know the bulbs work as I switched them to the drivers rear and they worked as they should.

please any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old December 7th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

This is the classic ground problem with the socket. The 1157 bulb has two filaments with a common ground. If the ground is bad, the turn signal will find a ground path through the tail light circuit and will work. If the lights are on, there's 12V on the tail light circuit and the turn signal won't work. Fix the socket ground. Note that the problem could be the socket to ground or it could be the bulb to socket path.
Old December 7th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
This is the classic ground problem with the socket. The 1157 bulb has two filaments with a common ground. If the ground is bad, the turn signal will find a ground path through the tail light circuit and will work. If the lights are on, there's 12V on the tail light circuit and the turn signal won't work. Fix the socket ground. Note that the problem could be the socket to ground or it could be the bulb to socket path.

Hey Joe,

Thanks again for the help.

what it actually was that I had the 2 wires on the 1157 socket housing connected backwards. They were both black as this was a replacement socket I purchased when I rewired the car.

thanks again.

Old December 7th, 2018, 06:05 PM

Glad you got your lights fixed, always a good idea to state any previous repairs when asking for help. hard to diagnose issues without the whole picture. That's is a nice' 69, always liked the gold color.
Old December 7th, 2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Glad you got your lights fixed, always a good idea to state any previous repairs when asking for help. hard to diagnose issues without the whole picture. That's is a nice' 69, always liked the gold color.
Sorry, I had mentioned in a few of my other threads...should have here.....when Joe mentioned the ground being an issue, I knew that couldn't have been it as I redid all the wiring perfectly......I thought it had to have been the mix up of the wire as they were both black.

Thanks for the compliments on the car.....have had it for 7 years. Got it for $2500 canadian lots of blood sweat and tears getting it to where it is..finally took my wife and 5yr old and 9yr old for a drive yesterday. I myself hadn't driven it in almost 5yrs. They enjoyed it. My smile was ear to ear. Will start a thread introducing my car and myself soon when I have time to upload all the pics I have accumalated throughout the years.

No overheating or leaks or any other issues after a few hours on the freshly rebuilt olds 468 and th400. My Windstar dual fans worked flawlessly with my EFI fitech setup....very happy.

I got really sick when we were in vegas in March...caught a virus...was in a coma and life support for 25 days at UMH in Vegas and another 2 months in BC Hospital. I have been off work on disability so I have had alot of time to do the fine things like wiring and I interior stuff as it didnt require too much from me strength wise. Plus it keeps me sane and feeling somewhat normal.

I love this site...so much knowledge and comradery.

thanks.

Last edited by Big Dawg; December 7th, 2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old December 8th, 2018, 06:04 AM

Sounds like you have had a tough year. Sounds like a fun car ride with your family, always nice to get the car back on the road.