1955 88 Antenna removal

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2013, 10:29 PM

1955 88 Antenna removal

I'm trying to replace my antenna with a collapsable one. I cannot figure out how to remove the antenna. I have the manual but i obviously can't get my meat hook around the hinge, is there any other method to removing this?
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:14 AM

Usually the bezel above the fender just unscrews and the antenna drops down and then pull it up from below the hood hinge. Unless of course you have a power antenna and then things get exciting because you pretty much have to loosen and/or remove the inner fender to get the unit out!! There are a couple of small screws holding the motor in place too. Easy once you have the inner fender loosened.
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:46 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Switch Blade Betties
I'm trying to replace my antenna with a collapsible one. I cannot figure out how to remove the antenna. I have the manual but i obviously can't get my meat hook around the hinge, is there any other method to removing this?
Your reference to replacing your antenna with a collapsible one makes me think you have a electric power antenna, if so follow Yellowstatue instructions on removing the inner fender....Tedd

PS. As a after thought I wonder if you could cut it out in pieces with a die cutter, that is if you aren't trying to salvage anything. Disclaimer,I've never done this just a thought....Tedd again
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:27 PM

I can't see it very clearly, but looking at your avatar picture, it appears you have an aftermarket antenna. The OEM antenna, if memory serves, has a black plastic nut at the base of the mast. Remove that and the mast should pull right out the top. The base of the OEM antenna is accessible under the hood and fastened with two hex head screws, though you might need to stand on your head and bend your arm in three places to get at them.
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:21 PM

thanks i'll look tomorrow, the little old cuban guy did alot of wonky stuff to the car.lol this antenna is bent and non functional, figured i could get a non-powered retractable one to atleast sleak up the car just a bit.

just ordered some wide whites....4inch lowering springs, 2inch lowering blocks, dual exhaust, and gonna get those 54 fender skirts attached soon! should be sleek soon!