1967 Delmont / Delta questions

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM

1967 Delmont / Delta questions

Hi - new member here, with some questions. I've been restoring a 1967 Delmont convertible that has some flaws, and just scored a 1967 Delta Custom 4 door that I'm hoping to use for parts (the Custom had some front end and rear end damage, and the interior is poor, but most of the sheet metal, floors, etc are really solid, which is unusual in Wisconsin!)

Does anyone know whether the frames on these are identical? The Delmont frame is 95%, but the Custom is super clean and I would consider a frame swap. It also appears that the front fenders are identical, the Custom's fenders are cleaner so I would use them if possible, and possible transplant sections of the flooring.

The Custom has a 425 2bbl, not sure which model (has "A" heads). I've already got a 455 in the Delmont, but this will be a nice "fallback" engine.

The Custom also has a number of nice options, including disc brakes, tilt/telescoping steering, power windows (but not vent windows), power seat, and air conditioning. Any thoughts on using the brakes on the Delmont, or are they in demand if I were to try and sell them? The other stuff?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me ramble, any concrete knowledge on frame and fender compatiblity would be appreciated. Also, would the floor pans be the same between the convertible and the 4 door?

Andy
SW Wisconsin

Last edited by WisconsinDelmont; March 1st, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add name and signature
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM

Hi Andy
Welcome to the site! I've had a couple full sized cars but know very little about them. Someone else will have to chime in on what will interchange between the two. I can say that the "A" heads are not correct for 1967 as it should have been "C" heads. The A heads were used on 1965 big blocks so you should check the engine for additional numbers to see if just the heads have been swapped or if the whole engine is a different year.

I think there was a link several months ago that talked about frame interchanges. You might do a search under the Chassis section and see if you can find it. John
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM

Cool Delta 88 Custom ? Parts ? did someone say Parts ?

WisconsinDelmont, buddy, mate, pal,
Do you have any pics of the Delta 88 Custom you could send me ? I would be very interested in some of the parts from it that you wont need for yours ... like side mouldings etc.

please email me at gthr1967@bigpond.net.au if you are willing to help a Delta 88 Custom owner in Australia

Last edited by Aussie67Delta88Custom; March 2nd, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the replies, here's some more info....

I appreciate the response so far, I will get some pics in the next few days. I just retrieved the Custom yesterday, it was quite snow covered (we have had record snow this year, and it is all still here!) and on 4 flats so couldn't get too close, but what I did see underneath looked great (car has a San Diego license frame, Virginia plates, it may not have seen much road salt). I was originally thinking just grab the engine, tranny, and possibly rear end and pull other parts that I might use, pull the rest for sale to cover my costs. Since it looks so much cleaner than expected I'm thinking of bigger things

The Delmont was originally a 425 car, I bought it from a guy that gave up on it as a project when he couldn't get the engine he had rebuilt himself to turn over. At that point the car still had the 425, but when we tore the engine down we discovered he had put the main bearing caps on in a different order than when he took it apart. May have done the same with the rod bearing caps. With all that the clearances were messed up and the crank was locked tight. My buddy (professional mechanic) thought that it couldn't be made right without line boring and turning the assembly down, and I had another friend with a good 455 so I did a swap. Still have the block, crank, etc from the 425, in same condition as when I got it.

My thoughts for swapping was really limited to frame and body parts, I know the headache that comes with too much transplanting. The A/C and power seat wouldn't do much for me, the upholstery in the Delmont is nice already. The tilt/telescopic steering might make it across, but I'll have to think about it. The Delmont was a very basic, unoptioned car, and I don't mind leaving it that way. The fun part is the big engine and the top down!

As for the brakes, that too needs some thought but I'm inclined to stick with the drums. The speedo on the Delmont is driven off the front wheel, not the tranny, not sure what I'd get into there. The Delmont has fully reworked brakes, new cylinders, shoes, lines, etc. Hate to take a step back from that, and the car is an open road cruiser, not going to be doing much with high performance braking! The guy I bought the Custom from said he had just gotten new rotors, hadn't installed them yet, when he had a braking problem that resulted in running into a boat on a trailer and the front-end damage the car now enjoys! The car then has been sitting for 13 years (he said), so who knows.

Anyhow, thanks again for the replies and encouragement. Once the snow has had a chance to melt off a bit (I knocked most off with a broom, and we are getting signs of warmer weather) and we get some decent tires on the car we'll put it up on a hoist and get a much clearer picture.

Andy
Southwestern Wisconsin

Last edited by WisconsinDelmont; March 2nd, 2008 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typos
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:15 AM

If you choose to not use the disc's you may have no trouble selling or trading them. Go to the "brake" section and do a search for disc brakes, I believe you'll find some threads about how hard it is to find the rotors for full sized cars of that era. John
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM

I too own a '67 Delmont Convertable. Can't answer your question, BUT, would be glad to get some parts when you are finished.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Past Administrator

San Diego plate frame and Virginia license? Sounds like a Navy or Marine Corps owner before you.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM

any update ?

Hey there from www.oldsmobilesdownunder.com

Any more news on your project and parts car ?

cheers
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Freedom Fighter

Are you still parting out the Delta? I'm in search of a fan shroud.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by 2blu442
If you choose to not use the disc's you may have no trouble selling or trading them. Go to the "brake" section and do a search for disc brakes, I believe you'll find some threads about how hard it is to find the rotors for full sized cars of that era. John
I have had my eye on this auction for some time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...spagenameZWD1V

I am JUST a bit skeptical, though, if they are the right ones for the listed application (esp. as he lists them as being right for big Pontiacs as well). Even if they are what they're supposed to be, I also am unsure if the later (i.e. 69-70) single caliper disc setup requires a different rotor. Still, an interesting listing. The Q and A section of the auction (at bottom) has some info on size. And the one purchaser appears to have bid on some 68 Delmont parts (among other things). Putting it out there...

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; April 17th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.