56 Power steering Conversion assitance

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:13 AM

56 Power steering Conversion assitance

Doing a P/S conversion on a '56. I have a '56 parts car that appears to have all what I need. The question is, 'what all do I need?'

Known:
Pump w/ brackets
Box
Engine pulleys
Rag joint for column
Hoses
Pitman arm

Uncertain
Entire column? [Can the main part remain and the potions connect to the steering boxes be interchanged. Hat to swap columns as the donor car units will need to be redone. ]

Steering linkage, what parts specifically if any?

What did I miss?

Looking for known answers preferably part # differences. Not so much ' my buddy Bubba thinks...' responses. Did some searching on the forum and all post went dead. Hope this can be the end all post to the conversion.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Since both cars are 56, (56 is the first year for the rag joint) Everything you have listed should be about it. The only thing that is a toss up to me is the column... Keep in mind that there is a guy that builds 605 style steering boxes that will bolt in on a 56. He sells them on Ebay frequently. It may require modification to the column but it will utilize the manual steering pitman if I'm not mistaken so you should be solid there. That unit will make more room for dual exhaust options (much smaller) and have a much quicker steering ratio... Make things a little more fun. Since you already have both cars ready to swap I'd say go for it and let us know what happens... then we will certainly have a definitive thread.
Old July 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM

56 power steering column

You will have to change the column. The manual one has a bell like extension that goes all the way down to the sector. The power steering one has the attachment plate for the rag joint. You may need both columns to get one usable one. The center shaft is supported by small, loose ball bearings riding in a sheet metal groove, both at the uppper and lower ends. In mine, the shaft was loose on the power steering unit. The ***** had worn thru the groove in the plate on both the upper and lower sections. I swapped out the upper plate from my standard column and designed a new lower insert that carries a sealed bearing for the lower section. You will have to stay with the upper bearing design since the horn contacts go thru this area. Hope this helps, Chuck
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:59 AM

While I haven't measured, the steering linkage looks to be the same.

Got the P/S column out. The shaft and possibly the inner tube are different. Hoping to keep the mast and just swap the internals if that is what is required.

Aside from the column issue, this does not look like a difficult swap.
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Linkage on power steering sector

I did a trial fit of the power steering sector when I got it, and it seemed to line up with the steering linkage with no problems. I have not completed the installation yet since I have been working on problems in other areas. Happy wrenching. Chuck
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Takid455
Doing a P/S conversion on a '56. I have a '56 parts car that appears to have all what I need. The question is, 'what all do I need?'

Known:
Pump w/ brackets
Box
Engine pulleys
Rag joint for column
Hoses
Pitman arm

Uncertain
Entire column? [Can the main part remain and the potions connect to the steering boxes be interchanged. Hat to swap columns as the donor car units will need to be redone. ]

Steering linkage, what parts specifically if any?

What did I miss?

Looking for known answers preferably part # differences. Not so much ' my buddy Bubba thinks...' responses. Did some searching on the forum and all post went dead. Hope this can be the end all post to the conversion.
When you do start please post pics. I have had my ps column and box for a while but still undecided about using the factory box. The 605 conversion seems like a better option since it's smaller and thighter than a factory box even restored could be. BTW this is what the ps column looks like

this is the lower bearing that the manual column doesn't have

Erit

Last edited by hialeah56; August 1st, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:01 AM

A little update.

Had some time to look at things on the bench and take notes. I compared parts from 70-81 Fbodies as I have a few left over parts.

box
stock box and 605 box are very close. Rag joint assy is longer on stock box I have yet to remove it. perhaps it will interchange. Best ratios of this box are:
any 70-81 non WS6 2nd gen - variable 16:1
78-81 - WS6 - constant 14:1
Late 3rd gen Z28 or 1LE - 12.7:1. note: metric O-ring fittings

Column
externally the stock power and manual column are the same. the internal shaft & possibly the sleeve are different

2nd gen column may work but its not a direct bolt in. Still playing with this to see what would need to be modified.

Pump
2nd gen pump (same from 70-90ish) can work with mods to stock bracketry, but the Type 2 GM pump (pretty much any GM vehicle new than 97 or so seems it would adapt w/ less issues. I am leaning toward this idea.

Mean while for 425 , streetrodbracketry.com (Roe) has conversion bracketry that will accept a Sanden 508 A/C compressor, Type 2 pump and late model alternator.

Will keep all posted