Changing Out Rubber parts of Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Changing Out Rubber parts of Fuel System

Where are the fuel system rubber hoses on a 1965 "88" without AC.

What do you replace them with?

--Don
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
Where are the fuel system rubber hoses on a 1965 "88" without AC.

What do you replace them with?
Rubber hoses...

There will be some right at the tank, some at the front going up to the fuel pump, and maybe some others on your model I do not know about.

Once you find them and remove them, you will figure the sizes. Either 5/16 or 3/8".

Just go to the local parts store and ask for some regular fuel line. Fuel injection hose I hear is stronger, but may be hard to work with - never messed with it.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Just trace the fuel line forward from the tank, and wherever you find rubber, remove it (there's usually hose clamps) and replace with new fuel line of the same size and length. Really quite self-explanatory. New fuel line would be available at any auto parts store, and they'll sell it by the foot at whatever length you want.

On my '67 88, there is an about 2-foot long piece coming off of the outlet pipe from the gas tank that goes up over the axle and connects to a steel pipe that carries the fuel to the front of the car. I have not looked closely at the other end, but I believe there's another rubber piece coming off the other end of that steel line and connecting to the fuel pump.

A chassis service manual for your car would be very helpful as they usually have detailed fuel-line diagrams.
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Fuel injection hose I hear is stronger, but may be hard to work with - never messed with it.
I've tried the whole fuel injection hose route, since that's all the hardware store had near my house. It's just harder to route and bend, i'd totally go with the classic rubber stuff, if it's lasted a decade, i'm sure with today's engineering materials that it'll last another.

-Tony
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
I've tried the whole fuel injection hose route, since that's all the hardware store had near my house. It's just harder to route and bend, i'd totally go with the classic rubber stuff, if it's lasted a decade, i'm sure with today's engineering materials that it'll last another.

-Tony
That was my impression, too. FI hose would be good for hoses under pressure (pump to carb) but for everything else, standard rubber fuel line is sufficient. Most stock Olds setups have a steel line from the pump to the carb, so FI hose is not needed for most.
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:55 AM

New rubber hoses are supposed to be more compatible with E10/15 fuels. Regular is easier to work with and about a $1/ft while FI is stiffer and over $3/ft, at least at the AutoZone near me. Don't forget the vent lines while you are working by the tank.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

The reason I aasked, is that there is a slight gas smell in my attached garage and I want to start checking if it's coming from my Olds, or from the TW's Buick!

Thanks again....

--Don
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
....classic rubber stuff, if it's lasted a decade, i'm sure with today's engineering materials that it'll last another.

-Tony
Thanks, Tony.... Actually, the hoses have lasted two generations!

--Don
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ddbord
The reason I aasked, is that there is a slight gas smell in my attached garage
You know, I smell that sometimes, too, with my '67 Delta, and I finally decided it was normal. I never found any gas leaks anywhere, and it was coming from the rear of the car, where I had replaced all the rubber fuel lines with new.

I finally got down under the car and smelled around, and I realized that the odor was coming from right where you might expect it...the two gas tank vent lines. On my car, they're both on the right front corner of the tank, and they're just about 2 feet long and terminate up under the car at a higher level than the top of the tank. The idea is that they let air in as the fuel is used up, but there's no reason that vapors can't leak out as the tank sits with fuel in it in the garage.

It's a very weak odor, and as long as I know there are no fuel leaks, I don't worry about it. These cars were built, after all, before anybody worried seriously about escape of fugitive vapors and things like vapor return lines and closed fuel systems started appearing on cars.
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM

working the same issue on my 69 cutlass, wife hates the odor in the garage. Added hose to the plastic "surge tank" that connects the 2 vent lines and ran it up next to the fuel filler. Will cap or add a hose out the door when in the garage, just have to remember to remove before driving. Also putting on new gas cap since it's cheap. May look into retrofitting a whole evap system off a newer car if all else fails.
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by hookem horns
Also putting on new gas cap since it's cheap. May look into retrofitting a whole evap system off a newer car if all else fails.
You may have hit on my problem!

On today's cars the fuel cap fits quite tightly, and of course because of the "High Compression," mine is that famous cap that says "IMPORTANT - PREMIUM FUEL ONLY - Not Vented"

It doesn't fit "snugly" and Fusick wants $23.50 for one (I'm cheap!) so I think I'll just get an auto parts store one and try it!

--Don

Last edited by Ddbord; June 30th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
delete

IMO the fuel injector line is worth the aggravation. A friend of mine drove himself nuts with a gas problem. Ends up the rubber line was collapsing after it was ran for a little while. When dealing with gas, if you can get something better, why wouldn't you?
A little gas smell is normal. The tank is vented. I find it is worse when the tank is full.
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
A friend of mine drove himself nuts with a gas problem. Ends up the rubber line was collapsing after it was ran for a little while. When dealing with gas, if you can get something better, why wouldn't you?
Nothing wrong with getting something better. But your friend's gas line should not be collapsing under normal operation even if it is equipped with standard rubber fuel line that it would have had when new. By putting on the heavier-duty line, he masked the symptom. He didn't solve the underlying problem. He needs to find out why the line was collapsing. Fuel pump problem? Gas tank not being vented properly, which could lead to a vacuum buildup? He might ultimately experience a collapsed gas tank.
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But your friend's gas line should not be collapsing under normal operation even if it is equipped with standard rubber fuel line that it would have had when new. By putting on the heavier-duty line, he masked the symptom. He didn't solve the underlying problem. He needs to find out why the line was collapsing. Fuel pump problem? Gas tank not being vented properly, which could lead to a vacuum buildup? He might ultimately experience a collapsed gas tank.
Very true - that should be investigated more if new regular rubber line is collapsing...
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
IMO the fuel injector line is worth the aggravation. A friend of mine drove himself nuts with a gas problem. Ends up the rubber line was collapsing after it was ran for a little while. When dealing with gas, if you can get something better, why wouldn't you?
A little gas smell is normal. The tank is vented. I find it is worse when the tank is full.
FI hose is more durable but I think the problem is quality of the regular hose. I have seen some regular rubber fuel line that was very soft and weak. Any bend and
it would flatten and restrict.
Auto Zone had some good stuff last I was there. It was flexible but didn't collapse