Question about replacing the Accelerator pump on my 83 delta 88

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM

Question about replacing the Accelerator pump on my 83 delta 88

My friends dad did some work on my car including timing and adjusting the carburator and putting new jets in it, but the accelerator pump is bad but he didnt have time to fix that, and he lives along way from where I do so I was thinking of trying to replace it myself.
My car is an 83 oldsmobile delta 88 with the 5.0 307 motor.
Does anyone know if it will be way to hard for me to do on my own since ive never done a carb before?. I was told you would just have to take off the top part of the carb off to replace it. The carb was rebuilt sometime ago by a previous owner so I would rather just deal with replacing the accelerator pump now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also the choke is not working right and I was told its the spring. Does anyone know what the actual name of the spring is so I can look for it in the parts store?.
Thanks..
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MASH4077
My friends dad did some work on my car including timing and adjusting the carburator and putting new jets in it, but the accelerator pump is bad but he didnt have time to fix that, and he lives along way from where I do so I was thinking of trying to replace it myself.
My car is an 83 oldsmobile delta 88 with the 5.0 307 motor.
Does anyone know if it will be way to hard for me to do on my own since ive never done a carb before?. I was told you would just have to take off the top part of the carb off to replace it. The carb was rebuilt sometime ago by a previous owner so I would rather just deal with replacing the accelerator pump now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also the choke is not working right and I was told its the spring. Does anyone know what the actual name of the spring is so I can look for it in the parts store?.
Thanks..
It's not quite as simple as only pulling the top off the carb. If your car still has the original computer controlled Qjet, there are several wiring connectors to remove from the mixture control solenoid and the throttle position sensor (TPS). Next you have to remove the secondary metering rods and hanger. then you need to disconnect the choke linkage rod and the accelerator pump rod. Now remove all the screws holding the air horn to the main body. Note that there are two hidden inside the primary bores, under the choke plate. If you're doing this with the carb still on the motor, have a small magnet handy to snag the screws. You'll be hating life if you drop them down the carb.

Once that's done, you can carefully separate the air horn from the carb body, pulling straight up so as not to damage the tubes hanging down from the underside. The gasket must stay with the main body. Now you can pull out the accelerator pump and install the new one. Reverse the process to reassemble.

Once you have the carb back together and running, you need to readjust the TPS to obtain the proper voltage at idle. I strongly suggest getting a Factory Service Manual before doing any of this, since the computer control system is very sensitive to misadjustments and improperly connected vacuum lines. In many cases, these can be the source of a driveability problem.