Roller rocker questions

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Talking Roller rocker questions

I may get around to finishing up the engine on my 56 this winter. The heads were reworked several years ago with hardened valve seats, new guides and about .o30 removed from the mounting surface. I am planning on doing a cleanup and polish on the intake and exhaust passages too. Am I correct in thinking if I go to roller rockers I can't use my stock valve covers? I am going to be running a mild cam with a 3 x 2 setup and I was concerned that from what I have see in print, modern oil doesn't contain the additives to prevent gauling, thus the roller rocker consideration. I am planning on using hydraulic lifters. Any comments or additional info much appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Past Administrator

It is my understanding that roller rockers are used to maintain proper geometry with higher lift cams. If you are going to use a mild cam it would seem that you would not need them to me, especially since you are staying with hydraulic lifters. Modern oils need to do a hefty job protecting the smaller higher revving engines that are common today, I don't think you would have to be concerned about galling of the rockers in a mostly stock Oldsmobile engine.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks for for input, appreciate your prompt reply. Thanks again, Chuck
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Just male sure when you are braking in a new flat tappet cam that you use a good brake in oil with a brake in additive to protect that new cam
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks Pat but I didn't know break-in oil was still used. Can you give me an example? I know that years ago a lighter oil was some times used for the first 50-100 miles and then drained to flush out some of the particles removed during the seating of the rings, etc. Maybe there are some addatives that engine builders use that us "casual wrenchers" don't know about. Additional info would be much appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Read this thread https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-car-zddp.html it will give you some insight to the problem with the newer oils and the problem that occurs with lack of zinc in them and the damage to flat tappet cams. Then check the cam manufacture you are using for recomendations.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Great link, Thanks agin Pat. I have decided to forget about the r-rockers and just worry about the oil and additives. Chuck
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM

I didn't notice what engine your building, but if its a post '63 "modern-era" V-8 (like a 455), I'd like to answer one of your questions for others that will read your post.

Roller rockers will work under stock valve covers when using a decient performance cam as long as you remove the baffles covering the vent holes. I've run a cam as large as 0.542" gross lift with success using "bulky" (Crane or Harlan Sharp) aluminum roller rockers.

Of course you have to do the standard upgrade with screw-in adjustable rocker studs and pushrod guideplates just to be able to use a roller rocker arm, but it does work, giving us the option without having to worry about using taller covers and trying to figure out what to do with all the accessory brackets that won't work with taller covers.
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Mongoose: Sorry, I didn't mention it's an Olds 324 cu in. Thanks, Chuck
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

To my knowledge, nobody makes roller rockers for the 324. It has a shaft with rockers on it and they are not adjustable. Fusick has replacement rockers and shafts but they do no have the rocker arm stands. Somebody probably made adjustable rockers years ago but I doubt they were roller tip.
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
To my knowledge, nobody makes roller rockers for the 324. It has a shaft with rockers on it and they are not adjustable. Somebody probably made adjustable rockers years ago but I doubt they were roller tip.
McGurk and somebody else ( forgot ) made adjustable rockers and you can find them time to time on Ebay..As far as roller rockers, Ross Racing Engines has them - but I'm not too sure what they fit ( either 303 324 371or 394) try this if you change your mind
ROSS RACING ENGINES

1763 North Main ST

Niles,Oh 44446

330-544-4466

330-720-1282
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks redolds man. I had a 56 in late 1956 when I was 18. I was tired of getting beat by Chev's and frequent failure of the regular lifters; and had a guy help me put in a Harmon Collins cam with solid lifters and adjustable rockers; no they were not rollers. Pulling the valve covers to adjust the lifters was a pain, couldn't keep them adjusted, finally discovered that the oil pump was bad, the cam lost it's lift, rings wore etc. Loved that car tho. I'll probably stay with the stock rockers. Chuck