1968 Olds Delta 88 4 Door $600

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM

1968 Olds Delta 88 4 Door $600

So wish me luck if it doesn't sale over the weekend since I work all weekend and can't go see it or pick it up til Monday. In the meantime, any feedback or things I ought to know or look for would be apprciated. Its an original owner 68 Olds Delta 88 4 Door for $600. He says there is no dents or rust with exeception of one on the driver front fender where a small tree fell on it. He says its not bad enough to replace it, that it can be repaired. He says the back seat and door panels still look new but the front seat shows some wear but it still very good. Has never had an engine or trans rebuild and still has the original power plant, 455/Turbo400. I really wanted a 2 door vehicle, but for this price and if its in the condition he says it it, I think I can live with a Fo Do for this price. Anyone know what I can check out for common problems or hidden rust places? I am not any good at all at body work, so its important the body be in good shape and only need minor repairs in that category.
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM

good luck --sounds great -- as long as the "small tree" wasn`t a giant redwood . $600 bucks would be a steal as you know .I would say st&$% work and go n get it .
Others much more knowledgable will give you advice rather than just my encouragement.
mike
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM

for that kind of money...Rat on cheese, man. Rat on cheese.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Go for it I found a 2 door version with the 455 rocket motor, power windows and what not for $600!
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM

If you buy it, I have a 68 4 door I bought for the motor/trans. I would sell you the whole body for a complete parts car and I am in OK also!
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:13 AM

I guess I should have updated. I DID NOT get this hunk of SH**. Ad read, a good running 68 Olds 88 455 Rocket..... . I was told over the phone it was 4bbl, so I am thinking 365HP motor. I call and say I am coming to get it tommorow since I have a ride. The guy says, I'd tow it, I think it could use some brakes, oh and 2 tires have slow leaks. So then I decided to tow it. The next day I start at 10am, loading up 2 wheels and tires off my 1/2 ton Chev PU, Floor Jack, Compressor, tow bar, get my 7 mpg truck ready for the trip. I get out there, the car is rusted at every window seem, around the windshield, rear glass, dash board and rear deck are rusted away, the entire carpet and seats had mold all over them. Pull the air cleaner, its a 2bbl, then look its CA heads. Man was I pist. So, I got home at 8:10 PM and $87 in gas later and unloaded the truck. By this time its 9pm. So, I wasted a whole friggin day on this POS. The only thing that may be of any value, I hear it could have a forged crank. Talking to this idiot, you would have thought this car was showroom new, and all it needed was a fender. The fender was not all the bad, but needed replaced. That is the first 2bbl 455 I had ever seen. Not only is it 2bbl, its a tiny 2 bbl. Dumbest thing I ever saw. That carb looked like it was not bigger than a softball on that biggo motor. I have emailed the son who wrote the ad. Now that his elderly dad knows the condition of the car of all the junk I pointed out, he says, Sorry you wasted your time, if I knew this I would have scrapped it when I could get $400 for scrap iron. Anyway, I am working with the son via email now to possibly end up with the motor and trans for the block, crank, brackets and exhaust manifolds for another project. Basically, for my loss and efforts and knowing what I am dealing with now, I may tow the car away for them. I will yank the motor and trans, sell a few parts if there is anything I can salvage, then scrap the rest. I still intend on putting a mild 455 4bbl in a 1/2 ton 81 pick up to make a sleeper truck with mounts from a truck that used to be an Olds Diesel. This car was a base model with AC anyway. If one had to rust away, this would be the one to do it. The way the guy had talked this one was all power windows, cruise etc. It was loaded up. BS !!! I really want a 2 door vehicle anyway. Prefferable a Cutlass, but even the 2 Door Delta looks similar to a stretched Cutlass and I like big cars, so I'd even be tickled pink with a 2 Dr Delta. Eveyone else has a Cutlass, and I prefer to be a bit differant at times, and I'd feel even better spanking the local Mustang GT's with a huge yacht car and a fairly smooth idle, sleeper. I just hate to see the older 4 doors go to the junk yard and for this money I'd glady taken it. How much you wanting for yours Orange? And is it worth putting together?

Last edited by hotrodpc; July 5th, 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodpc
I just hate to see the older 4 doors go to the junk yard and for this money I'd glady taken it. How much you wanting for yours Orange? And is it worth putting together?
Mine has a good body and supposedly ran but I loaded it on a trailer and brought it home because I just wanted the engine/trans and a few other parts like T-3 headlights and a few other parts that work on other cars. Mine is a 2 barrel 455 also! I was going to ask $400 for the body because it is pretty solid. I have a Cutlass or 2 I would sell also. Here is a pic of the Delta.

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM

By any chance did your 2 bbl have a forged crank? I hear there is a good chance of a forged crank on a 68 2 bbl and mentioned with tow package. That is according to Olds442.com which I find several mistakes. Did yours also have CA heads? How are they in relation to regular C heads? I figured small valves and maybe even smaller ports.
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM

I have not pulled the motor out yet but I am hopeful it has the steel crank! I believe all ports are the same size and the valve size is the only difference. The ports really didn't change until 1973 J heads I believe.
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM
67 heavy metal

I think it is a terible shame to neglect cars for so long they grow into the ground.I hope the two of you get what your after and it all works out but it is still disapointing about that 68
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM

I agree Delmont. Its a shame. This one is to far gone now. All rusted up, been rained in and leaked at all the windows to where water puddled in the floor board, then all closed up, add heat and you have nothing less than a rotton health hazard of mold. I have never in my life seen a car with mold in it like this one. Horrbile, but hey, its a good running car that needs a fender and a little air in a tire.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:14 AM

Available?

Is this car still available and location? I need a rear bumper for a 1968 88. Thank you.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RichOlds
Is this car still available and location? I need a rear bumper for a 1968 88. Thank you.
You realize this thread is from 2009, right?
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RichOlds
this thread is over 9 years old. Chances are not likely.

EDIT: You beat me to the punch Joe. I was just looking through the previous posts before sending
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:43 AM

I dunno, the way some people hold onto their treasures it mights still be in a field waiting to be sold or "fixed up."
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Olds64
I dunno, the way some people hold onto their treasures it mights still be in a field waiting to be sold or "fixed up."
9 years of polishing won't change a turd to a jewel.

From the OP's post:
I will yank the motor and trans, sell a few parts if there is anything I can salvage, then scrap the rest.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
From the OP's post:
I will yank the motor and trans, sell a few parts if there is anything I can salvage, then scrap the rest.
Actually, from the first line in that post:

Originally Posted by hotrodpc
I guess I should have updated. I DID NOT get this hunk of SH**.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, I know. No need to shout though, I'm not blind or deaf.

If you read further.

I have emailed the son who wrote the ad. Now that his elderly dad knows the condition of the car of all the junk I pointed out, he says, Sorry you wasted your time, if I knew this I would have scrapped it when I could get $400 for scrap iron.Anyway, I am working with the son via email now to possibly end up with the motor and trans for the block, crank, brackets and exhaust manifolds for another project. Basically, for my loss and efforts and knowing what I am dealing with now, I may tow the car away for them. I will yank the motor and trans, sell a few parts if there is anything I can salvage, then scrap the rest.
Either way there was no further closure to the information from the OP. I seriously doubt the car still exists though given the state of decay it was in and the son's thinking it would be best to scrap it for cash when he had the chance.

So for now it's likely all these posts are moot.

I would suspect the revival on the thread was directed to orange442's Delta. It would probably be a good idea if RichOldsjust sent him a PM and asked.