1967 Delta 88 Series 35 Idler Arm

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Mike

Question 1967 Delta 88 Series 35 Idler Arm

Am having trouble locating an Idler Arm for a 1967 Delta 88 Series 33 thru 38 Idler arm. If I am correct, the 67 Olds Delta 88 had three different Idler Arm configurations (for the 52 and above series the "Thompson" and "Saginaw" configuration, and a separate one for the 33 thru 38 series). To paraphrase Foghorn Leghorn, the correct part "is like that road between Fort Worth and Dallas - all straight with no curves". I have learned the hard way about the distinct configurations by ordering the part from Autozone, Advance Auto, ebay sellers, etc. only to return it. Some businesses even depicted the correct part only to mail an incorrect one. Also, an exhaustive internet search was not successful.

Can anyone provide a suggestion or provide a source for the correct Idler Arm?

Many thanks,

Mike

Old March 6th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dedmonds01@gmail.com
Am having trouble locating an Idler Arm for a 1967 Delta 88 Series 33 thru 38 Idler arm. If I am correct, the 67 Olds Delta 88 had three different Idler Arm configurations (for the 52 and above series the "Thompson" and "Saginaw" configuration, and a separate one for the 33 thru 38 series). To paraphrase Foghorn Leghorn, the correct part "is like that road between Fort Worth and Dallas - all straight with no curves". I have learned the hard way about the distinct configurations by ordering the part from Autozone, Advance Auto, ebay sellers, etc. only to return it. Some businesses even depicted the correct part only to mail an incorrect one. Also, an exhaustive internet search was not successful.

Can anyone provide a suggestion or provide a source for the correct Idler Arm?

Many thanks,

Mike
Mike,

There is no such thing as a "1967 Delta 88 Series 35". The 33 through 38 series cars are the A-body Cutlass line for the 1967 model year. The B-body Delta 88 line covers the 52-58 series. The C-body Ninety Eight line is the 84-86 series. The B-body and C-body use the same steering and suspension parts, but the A-body is completely different. 1964 was the last time that the 33-38 series designations applied to the full size cars. For the 1964 model year, the 35 series referred to the Super 88 line. The idler arms for the 63-64 full size cars are completely different from those for the 65-70 full size cars.

There are only two arms used on your 67, the Thompson and the Saginaw. The difference is the diameter of the tapered pin on the center link and the matching tapered hole in the idler and pitman arms. I can also guarantee that you will not find a replacement idler arm for a 67 OIds full size at any auto parts store. The replacement parts companies stopped making these decades ago. The 67 Impala arm does not fit. In this photo, the arm on the left is a 67 Olds full size (both Thompson and Saginaw look the same - only the tapered hole is different). The arm on the right is Impala.

Old March 6th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Available from Kanter auto products. www.kanter.com
Old March 6th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not sure if the Kanter idler is Chinesium or from Rare Parts. If the latter, you can usually get a better price elsewhere. I got an old stock idler from Craig at Mobileparts for my 67. I don't remember if it was TRW or McQuay Norris.
Old March 6th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Mike

Post 1967 Delta 88 Series 35 Idler Arm

Joe:

Thanks so much for your quick response. I'm a novice in this area (first classic) so please bear with me. Attached are four photos, three of the 1967 Olds Chassis Service Manual and one of the Idler Arm in question. The literature details the Series numbering I noted in my original thread and drawings of the three 1967 Steering components. The fourth is a photo of the Idler Arm needing replacement. As information my 67 Delta vehicle number is 358677MXXXXXX. If I'm reading this correctly, the idler arm depicted in the diagram (bottom half of the Steering Diagrams" photo) labeled 33 thru 38 series resembles the photo of the idler arm currently on my car. The one shown for the TRW and Saginaw component is curved and butts up against the manifold thereby constricts steering.

I wish to fix this problem and hope a possible solution may be provided by you or other members of this forum.

The enjoyment I get out of driving the Olds far exceeds the hunt for this idler arm and I refuse to give-in to the frustration. Also, it's folks like you who add to this enjoyment.

Thanks again.

Mike

Steering Diagrams

Idler Arm

Old March 6th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Mike

Thanks for the information. Please see my reply to Joe for progress.
Old March 6th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

The "3" in your VIN just means Oldsmobile Division.
The "58" means that it is a Delta 88. 58 is the "series" you keep talking about.
The "67" means that it is a convertible
The next "7" means 1967 model year
The "M" is Lansing, MI assembly plant
The remaining digits are just the sequential build number

Your car is a 1967 Delta 88, period. The straight idler is not correct. I own a 67 Delta. Once again, no regular auto parts store sells the correct idler arm any more. You need to get one from a specialty house. The center link is also not available from normal sources - Rare Parts is about the only source. I suspect a previous owner, faced with non-available parts and needing to fix the car, forced Impala parts into place.

THESE ARE NOT CORRECT, THEY WERE NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, AND ARE NOT SAFE.

I had the same problem when I got mine and had to replace all the steering linkage parts. The idler I showed in the photo above is the ONLY correct idler arm for a 1965-1970 Delta, period. Nothing else is correct. Your exhaust looks new. Do you know if it is a factory pipe or something that was custom bent by a muffler shop? If the latter, it may or may not mimic the exact routing of the original, which can also cause fitment problems. Despite the size of the car, the clearance between the exhaust, starter, and steering is very tight on these cars.
Old March 6th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

I should also point out that in 1967, the 33-38 series Cutlass line had the steering in front of the chassis crossmember under the engine, while the 52-86 series full size cars had it behind the crossmember. Nothing interchanges between the two lines.
Old March 6th, 2019, 04:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

And just so there's no fuzz whatsoever on this "series" issue...

Old March 6th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Mike

Joe:

You learn something new everyday! You are correct. I'm not sure about the exhaust being modified, but am going to take your path and see what can be done to replace all steerage linkage parts to factory specs and correct exhaust issues if applicable,

Thanks, again.

Mike
Old March 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM

In regard to USA made....

The 1965 - 1970 full size OLDSes did have the two different Steering systems --
the TRW with a .556 diameter at the taper, and the SAGINAW with a .587 diameter.
Joe P. Did get his Idler Arm from me (thanxxxx again, Joe P), but I don't recall which one he
had -- it was a couple years ago.
I do still have some N.O.S. U.S.A.made for each, presently
(As well as U.S.A. made Left & Right Upper Ball Joints, which we frequently talk about...)
kanters is indeed Chineseum -- and while Rare Parts is USA -- it is pricey.

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.......
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:19 AM
Mike

Craig:

Thanks for the information. I'm going to take a look at a total rework of the steering hardware and bring it up to specs. Inventory of needs will be determined in the next couple of weeks and will see what's required. Will be in-touch.

Mike
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Mike,
I have everything in stock for both the TRW and Saginaw systems --- keep in mind that .556" vs. .587" because all their parts ARE different, and do NOT interchange.....
When you find out what you need / want, just give me a ring -- shows are upcoming -- but if I am not there, leave a message,
I call everyone back, you can count on it....
(Even the guy who called me to pour a concrete slab on his property for his motorhome.... he insisted that was a car part?!?!)
Yours, Craig....