Buying a Delta 88 Custom 1968

Old January 12th, 2019, 03:53 AM

Buying a Delta 88 Custom 1968

Hello all!

I'm Erik and I live in the Netherlands. I can buy a Delta 88 Custom from 1968. Car was imported from the US, I believe New Haven CT and had a restoration in 2000.
Seller has all the owner history. Maybe someone here knows this car?

For pictures see link below:
https://www.autowereld.nl/oldsmobile...1350/foto.html

What do you think of the car and what should I keep in mind before buying it? Is 17000 dollar a fair price according to US market?

Thanks and greetings from the Netherlands!

Erik

Last edited by ErikTheDutch; January 12th, 2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:59 AM

In the USA 4 dr cars are not in demand. The car looks very nice, you could not build this car today for 17,000. The car does not have air conditioning which may hurt a little. I would say the price is fair but the demand here is not there for a car like this. In the USA I would think it was a 12000 dollar car due to the 4dr and the larger car that it is. Then you would have to find a buyer which may be hard to do.
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:35 AM

Hi Oldsmaniac,

Thanks for your quick answer! Do you happen to know any 'weaknesses 'of this car that I should know/ check before buying?
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Administrator

It looks like a decent deal for overseas even as a 4 door. Consider and compare the cost of buying a car overseas with shipping and fees to the one your looking at.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It looks like a decent deal for overseas even as a 4 door. Consider and compare the cost of buying a car overseas with shipping and fees to the one your looking at.
Thanks for your reply Eric! I think the demand here for a 4 door is ok.

Erik
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ErikTheDutch
Hi Oldsmaniac,

Thanks for your quick answer! Do you happen to know any 'weaknesses 'of this car that I should know/ check before buying?
This is a very well engineered car, no weakness to check mechanically. Just be sure there was not excessive metal rot and heavy bondo.
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
This is a very well engineered car, no weakness to check mechanically. Just be sure there was not excessive metal rot and heavy bondo.
The best way to check is using a magnet?
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ErikTheDutch
The best way to check is using a magnet?

Yes and you should have the car put on a lift to really look at underside and frame.
Old January 12th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

The only "weakness" is the difficult availability of some replacement parts. Specifically, certain suspension, steering, and brake components are not being made today so replacement parts can be difficult and expensive to find if and when the car needs this work. The upper ball joints, idler arm, center link, brake drums, and rotors are hard to find. It isn't impossible, but it is difficult and expensive. The speedometer cable assembly is also not available new and since it is wheel driven the end that goes into the LH front spindle is unique, so you can't readily have a custom one made. Just be aware of this if these items need work
Old January 13th, 2019, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The only "weakness" is the difficult availability of some replacement parts. Specifically, certain suspension, steering, and brake components are not being made today so replacement parts can be difficult and expensive to find if and when the car needs this work. The upper ball joints, idler arm, center link, brake drums, and rotors are hard to find. It isn't impossible, but it is difficult and expensive. The speedometer cable assembly is also not available new and since it is wheel driven the end that goes into the LH front spindle is unique, so you can't readily have a custom one made. Just be aware of this if these items need work
Thanks Joe, it is difficult but not impossible? :-)
All imported cars need papers before you can drive over here. The papers are only handed when the car is technically good, I assume that the parts mentioned above are ok. But you never know what happens in the future. It will not be a daily driver for me.
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:30 AM

This is a good forum to find parts . I have spindles, brake drums, control arms, those are pretty common 1965 thru 1970 (B-body=88, C-body=98) C=body is longer wheel base but basically same drive train. The front parking/turn signal lens are as hard to find as hens teeth, don't over tighten when changing bulb. I have one nice lens. Shipping is always pricey. Jmo.
Old January 13th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll be honest and say I think that's a lot to pay for a 68 Hardtop Delta Custom. Yes it's in beautiful condition and that's an older restoration (7/21/2000) so there's bound to be some issues with the rubber components, suspension, engine and driveline seals etc. I'm impressed with its pedigree. Not too many cars have their original BOS, build sheet, window sticker so that's very nice provenance. The build sheet actually looks too clean to be that old IMO. The one thing this 4 door has going for it is the fact it's a Holiday Sedan instead of a Town sedan. The attention to detail on the restoration does look to be top notch.

Eric (oldcutlass) makes a valid point about the cost to buy one in NA and then ship and pay import fees/taxes. This one is already done.

It will be hard on gas put fortunately can run on 87 octane fuel. The 455 should be a 2bbl and the axle ratio on that car should be 2.56:1 which will likely deliver about 15 mpg (or around 18L/100 km). Comfortable riding? Yes. Big? Yes. Desirable? Questionable, but Yes to the right niche market.

The color is supposed to be Ivory (Code T) but looks more like Saffron (Code Y)

Good luck with your decision
Old January 14th, 2019, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'll be honest and say I think that's a lot to pay for a 68 Hardtop Delta Custom. Yes it's in beautiful condition and that's an older restoration (7/21/2000) so there's bound to be some issues with the rubber components, suspension, engine and driveline seals etc. I'm impressed with its pedigree. Not too many cars have their original BOS, build sheet, window sticker so that's very nice provenance. The build sheet actually looks too clean to be that old IMO. The one thing this 4 door has going for it is the fact it's a Holiday Sedan instead of a Town sedan. The attention to detail on the restoration does look to be top notch.

Eric (oldcutlass) makes a valid point about the cost to buy one in NA and then ship and pay import fees/taxes. This one is already done.

It will be hard on gas put fortunately can run on 87 octane fuel. The 455 should be a 2bbl and the axle ratio on that car should be 2.56:1 which will likely deliver about 15 mpg (or around 18L/100 km). Comfortable riding? Yes. Big? Yes. Desirable? Questionable, but Yes to the right niche market.

The color is supposed to be Ivory (Code T) but looks more like Saffron (Code Y)

Good luck with your decision
Hi Allan,

Thanks for your reply. I think for the Dutch market prices are higher than in the USA. The car is imported and of course the seller wants to earn something.
What would be an average (or fair) price for a car like this in the USA?