Newly Obtained 85 Delta 88 Royal Brougham

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Newly Obtained 85 Delta 88 Royal Brougham

Hey everyone,

I picked up a 1985 delta 88 (pic attached) and had a few questions....1.) Any info on how to replace the bulbs for the speedometer lighting, the lighting on the right side is out...2) Any idea where i can find replacement trim pieces for where the original vinyl top meets the paint? 3.) I use synthetic oil in all my other cars...should i worry about using synthetic in this one?...4.) Are there any other known issues with these cars i should address?

Thanks in advance!
-Nathaniel

Last edited by nkvergara; September 28th, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:24 PM

I did this on my 77 Delta 88 a few months ago. If you've got skinny arms like mine, you can reach behind the dash and take some of the bulbs out. Otherwise you have to take the dash apart. Is not too hard. Set up a table and lay down all parts removed in order so you can go back together easier. Use a 90' pick to remove the headlamp switch ****. If your car has a trip odometer use a jeweler's screwdriver to remove the ****. When you remove the speedometer head there is a clip that holds the cable to the speedometer head, I believe if you push the clip it'll disengage the clip (I may be wrong). There are probably different numbered bulbs installed so be prepared for that. A factory service manual is a great reference tool to have, you can probably find one on ebay.
Old September 29th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by nkvergara
3.) I use synthetic oil in all my other cars...should i worry about using synthetic in this one?
What has been used in the car up to now? I would continue doing whatever has been done in the past. Cars in which conventional oil has been used that are switched to synthetic often develop oil leaks. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Replacement trim will have to come from a junkyard car. Post a listing of what you need in the Parts Wanted section.
Old September 29th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mjrj
I did this on my 77 Delta 88 a few months ago. If you've got skinny arms like mine, you can reach behind the dash and take some of the bulbs out. Otherwise you have to take the dash apart. Is not too hard. Set up a table and lay down all parts removed in order so you can go back together easier. Use a 90' pick to remove the headlamp switch ****. If your car has a trip odometer use a jeweler's screwdriver to remove the ****. When you remove the speedometer head there is a clip that holds the cable to the speedometer head, I believe if you push the clip it'll disengage the clip (I may be wrong). There are probably different numbered bulbs installed so be prepared for that. A factory service manual is a great reference tool to have, you can probably find one on ebay.
Old October 7th, 2018, 02:21 PM

thanks for the info!
Old October 7th, 2018, 02:22 PM

just got the service manual from eBay. thanks for the info!
Old November 17th, 2018, 11:24 AM

If you find a suitable trim for that vinyl top, I'm sure there are others who would like to know what you used. What you find in the salvage yard will be toast too.

I installed Sylvania LED in the dash of my 89 custom cruiser and would never go back. Get rid of those incandescent bulbs before the sockets turn into burnt toast from the heat.
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:27 AM

Hope you find the trim pieces that you need. We need pics, STAT!