OldsCoolOne

Old September 7th, 2018, 09:23 AM

OldsCoolOne

Hello everyone. I have 64 Dynamic 88 ragtop I recently acquired. It has the Starfire 394 option ultra high compression 4bbl carb 345 horse engine
complete with dual exhaust. I’d like to convert the points ignition with electronic. I’m looking at a pertronix
hei complete distributor setup. Info says the unit they make will fit the early rocket. Anyone have any experience with the complete distributor swap? And if so, are they happy with it. Thanks for any and all helpful info!
Old September 7th, 2018, 09:30 AM

I used a Pertronix Ignitor system in the points distributor of my 64 98 with a 394. It worked well. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket distributors for the 394. The Pertronix kit just replaces the points with an electronic ignition module.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx
Old September 7th, 2018, 09:39 AM

Hey thanks for that info. I have heard of those modules and some stories are good and some not so much. Did you utilize stock ballast resistor wire or eliminate it altogether? Also, the ohms of your coil?
Old September 7th, 2018, 09:42 AM

I eliminated the stock ballast resistor wire. I never ohmed the coil, it was just the stock Oldsmobile coil.
Old September 7th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a real option.
Old September 8th, 2018, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rocketscienceguy
Hello everyone. I have 64 Dynamic 88 ragtop I recently acquired. It has the Starfire 394 option ultra high compression 4bbl carb 345 horse engine
complete with dual exhaust. I’d like to convert the points ignition with electronic. I’m looking at a pertronix
hei complete distributor setup. Info says the unit they make will fit the early rocket. Anyone have any experience with the complete distributor swap? And if so, are they happy with it. Thanks for any and all helpful info!
Unless one came out recently, there is no HEI large cap distributor available for your engine. You need to go with a points replacement kit and install it yourself.
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
As far as I know, there are no aftermarket distributors for the 394.
Actually, there is one, but it is not cheap. Joe Hunt Magnetos makes an electronic distributor for the early Olds V8s that looks like one of their old magnetos. Obviously this is for bling, and it's priced accordingly (about $600!), but never say never...

Old September 9th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Some have had had perfect operation from the Pertronix units others like me have not so much. From what i have gathered the issue is that the modular can and often gives it up with out warning leaving you dead in the water without recourse . While points generally give you warning that they need attending to with hard starts and rough idle and the bad miss at certain rpm.

There is no performance advantage with the Pertronix unit over points in a stockish vintage car only convenience of not having to spend 20 minutes to replace points every 12 to 20 thousand miles. My Pertronix unit did not last that long and did leave me in a bad spot so I have a sour spot in my mouth about these electronic units.

If I were to venture into the modern world again I would probably carry a spare modular in the glove box. I do carry a spare points setup in there now and so far not much need to change my ways..... Old and lost in the fifties.... Tedd
Old September 9th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am right on the same page as Tedd. We used to be on opposite sides of the fence until my Pertronix left me on the side of the road a year ago. Then I went back to points and carry a complete ignition system in the trunk that includes points, condenser, rotor, cap and ballast resistor. I also have a set of feeler gauges. I figure as long as I have then I will never need them. Of course you could carry a spare module also and it would be easier to change.
Old September 9th, 2018, 08:29 PM

I never fix something that isn't broke. If they quit making points sets, maybe I will rethink things.
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:13 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Rocketscienceguy
I’d like to convert the points ignition with electronic. I’m looking at a pertronix
hei complete distributor setup. Info says the unit they make will fit the early rocket.
Wait a second, I'm confused. Are you saying that Pertronix makes a complete HEI distributor for the early Olds V8 or are you talking about one of their points eliminator kits?

Old September 10th, 2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Are you saying that Pertronix makes a complete HEI distributor for the early Olds V8 or are you talking about one of their points eliminator kits?
The only aftermarket distributor available for the 394 is the one Joe mentioned above.

I was very impressed with the performance of the Pertronix kit.

I have a Summit HEI distributor in my 455 and it suffers from occasional module failure (it's only happened once). I think that's just the risk of running HEI distributors. It's a PITA overcoming the curve of the Summit HEI distributor as well. I had to buy a springs and weight kit to get it dialed in. I think they clone a Chevy distributor and make it work for the Olds.
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Olds64
I think they clone a Chevy distributor and make it work for the Olds.
A neat trick, considering it has to turn in the opposite direction.
Old September 10th, 2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am right on the same page as Tedd. We used to be on opposite sides of the fence until my Pertronix left me on the side of the road a year ago. Then I went back to points and carry a complete ignition system in the trunk that includes points, condenser, rotor, cap and ballast resistor. I also have a set of feeler gauges. I figure as long as I have then I will never need them. Of course you could carry a spare module also and it would be easier to change.
I can not tell you how many cars I have seen at shows over the years that have a Petronix set up -AND- also carry a "real distributor/points" system in the trunk as back for when, not if, the Petronix fails.
Old September 10th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, there is one, but it is not cheap. Joe Hunt Magnetos makes an electronic distributor for the early Olds V8s that looks like one of their old magnetos. Obviously this is for bling, and it's priced accordingly (about $600!), but never say never...

Not aftermarket, but do not Olds HEI distributors from the 80's drop in to a 394 engine? Thought I read that somewhere, sometime a while back?