How to empty '84 D88 gas tank

Old July 9th, 2018, 08:04 PM

I am shuffling sh*t - I know you know what that's like. I am storing this gas tank (might swap it into the Pace Car straight away when it's time, not sure) and want to empty it before I sock it away again. There isn't THAT much gas in there but it's enough to throw the weight off when it moves - also the gas is gonna have to come out of there sometime.

I had thought I'd stick a hand pump fluid transfer hose down the neck - but I bet taking the "vent cap" off the top would be way more better.

"How do I do that?"

Thanks -

Brian in Houston
Old July 10th, 2018, 03:30 AM
"me somebody" site member

On the top center of the tank, where the hoses come out, you can see a retainer ring with tabs on it. Hit one of the tabs carefully with a wide screwdriver and hammer to turn it counterclockwise several degrees. Then the entire center piece with hoses should lift out.
Old July 10th, 2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
As noted, hit it on the tab in the direction where the arrow is pointing with a flat-blade screwdriver tapped on with a hammer. Be careful not to bend the tab over, so hit it as close to the base as possible. If it's recalcitrant, hit the other, similar tab at about the 5:30 position in the photo. If it's still tough to turn, spray a little PB Blaster or WD40 on it. It should turn relatively easily.

do not hit on that piece that is marked yellow.closer to the center where the lock ring turns up there are 3 tangs about 1/2 long,they stick up about an 1/8th inch.i see one of them right by the pink wire connector,hit on those with your screwdriver and hammer.
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Olds Collector

Hello Mr Stuff:

Yes I would not hit the tab marked in yellow. This is an alignment tab to tell you that it is fully locked in when repairing or replacing the sending unit. I have added three red circles. I would hit with the driver each one of these in turn a little each time, they are stronger than the yellow marked tab. As you hit one, the ring gets forced toward the outward edge and will stop turning. So if you work your way around the ring by taking turns on the three larger tabs the ring will work it way loose. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gas tank ring.jpg (127.6 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: docx
gas tank ring.docx (661.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by vistacruiser1971; July 11th, 2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:11 AM

Use a brass drift...no sparks!
Old July 11th, 2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyWildStuff
Originally Posted by The Cult
FIIIIIIIIIIURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!!!!!!!!!
Old July 11th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna pick up a brass punch set from O'Reilly tonight and get it done.
Old July 12th, 2018, 09:20 AM

I got it done. The pickup sock was decomposing, so I cut it all off before replacing the pickup in the tank for storage.

It didn't look like the sock was field replaceable...? No I didn't get a picture. But I didn't see a way to break the clamp at the base of the sock loose from the pickup tube proper (nor how a replacement sock would be affixed).
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:02 AM

If you ever do put the tank back in use, replace the sending unit. They're not that much money ($35 at Rockauto), and it would be brand new with a new sock filter. Dropping gas tanks is not something that anyone likes to do on a routine basis, so my attitude is that, if I've gone through all the trouble to remove the tank for whatever reason, might as well replace the sending unit. It's the same argument that one uses to replace the timing chain if you're replacing the water pump because you've got the front of the engine disassembled, anyway.
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
if you ever do put the tank back in use, replace the sending unit. They're not that much money ($35 at rockauto), and it would be brand new with a new sock filter. Dropping gas tanks is not something that anyone likes to do on a routine basis, so my attitude is that, if i've gone through all the trouble to remove the tank for whatever reason, might as well replace the sending unit. It's the same argument that one uses to replace the timing chain if you're replacing the water pump because you've got the front of the engine disassembled, anyway.