Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Starfire forum?

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Starfire forum?

Hi group,
Wouldn't it be nice to have a specific Starfire forum, along with the others in the "big body" lineup? It is built on the 88 platform, but seems there are a lot of differences. They do have three variations of the Cutlass as separate forums, and the Starfire is the 442 of the big cars so it seems only fair to list it separately as well! :-)

Cheers,

John
Old June 20th, 2018, 09:17 AM

There is a specific Starfire Facebook site that functions much like a forum regarding technical issues, a number of the "Darksiders" are on there, check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/480186468822798/
Old June 20th, 2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
There is a specific Starfire Facebook site that functions much like a forum regarding technical issues, a number of the "Darksiders" are on there, check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/480186468822798/
That's where I found my Starfire!
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Did not know about the facebook group - way cool.
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
Did not know about the facebook group - way cool.
Yes, very cool. Vinny Buonfiglio is the owner/moderator of the group. Everyone is so helpful, and if you need parts, sometimes someone will have it. People also post ads for Starfires they see on Craigslist, ebay and so on. Nice group.
Old June 20th, 2018, 11:50 AM

I brought this point up when the site here was revamped, I was told that they couldn't do it and what about the 70's starfire. I agree there should be a starfire section but for now we are "darksiders" and I'm on the facebook group.
Steve
Old June 20th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I brought this point up when the site here was revamped, I was told that they couldn't do it and what about the 70's starfire. I agree there should be a starfire section but for now we are "darksiders" and I'm on the facebook group.
Steve
They couldn't?? More like they wouldn't. You can tell who ever owns this site doesn't care much about anything but Cutlass models. SMH...It's a bit rediculous too. They have "Cutlass, 442 and Hurst/Olds as one group, then each model gets a separate group..Really? But then they give cars like the Silhouette their own forum? I just don't get it. I also recently started a Facebook page for 65-66 big body Olds since there seems to be specific Facebook pages for other year Olds and those two years are so similar. Oh I just noticed, they have relegated the Starfire to "Other Oldsmobiles" for both versions, 61-66 and 75-80. Being one of Oldsmobiles most prestigious and expensive cars, it deserves better. I wonder how you reach the owner of this site. I'd like to send him/her a note.

John
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:06 PM

I am ok with being a "Darksider". I waste to much time on here just reading new posts. From what I can tell, there is very good information on this site and knowledgeable people. I choose to not use Facebook, and I don't feel like I am missing anything. A Starfire section would be nice, but I can live without it.
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jonjonbear
They couldn't?? More like they wouldn't. You can tell who ever owns this site doesn't care much about anything but Cutlass models. SMH...It's a bit rediculous too. They have "Cutlass, 442 and Hurst/Olds as one group, then each model gets a separate group..Really? But then they give cars like the Silhouette their own forum? I just don't get it. I also recently started a Facebook page for 65-66 big body Olds since there seems to be specific Facebook pages for other year Olds and those two years are so similar. Oh I just noticed, they have relegated the Starfire to "Other Oldsmobiles" for both versions, 61-66 and 75-80. Being one of Oldsmobiles most prestigious and expensive cars, it deserves better. I wonder how you reach the owner of this site. I'd like to send him/her a note.

John
I sent them a note. Will see what they say.
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Administrator

John
Its in the Other model section due to the limited amount of participation with the model. Just as the Final Years are combined. Work within the current structure and enjoy the site and I'll throw it out for moderator discussion.
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Its in the Other model section due to the limited amount of participation with the model. Just as the Final Years are combined. Work within the current structure and enjoy the site.
Eric, if you go to that forum, most of the posts ARE Starfire owners. Can't believe there would be a lack of participation. I guess it must be a huge deal to add one more forum...

Thanks....
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Administrator

There are a total of 11 pages. There is also Omega and F85 stuff in there. Its not that its a big deal, you have cull all the Starfire threads and move them into the new forum. That is the hard part. Like I said I submitted it for discussion amongst the Moderators.
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:56 PM

There are a total of 11 pages. There is also Omega stuff in there. Its not that its a big deal, you have cull all the Starfire threads and move them into the new forum. That is the hard part. Like I said I submitted it for discussion amongst the Moderators.
Thanks Eric!

John
Old June 20th, 2018, 01:24 PM

There are a total of 11 pages. There is also Omega and F85 stuff in there. Its not that its a big deal, you have cull all the Starfire threads and move them into the new forum. That is the hard part. Like I said I submitted it for discussion amongst the Moderators.
Also, if I can help with the moving of posts, I'd be happy to. I own/moderate a community Yahoo and Facebook group so have a bit of experience.

Cheers,

John
Old June 20th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 61-66 Starfire is just a B-body with brushed trim. Engines, brakes, trans, body panels are all the same (the Starfire engine was an option in other 88s). 90% of the questions relate to every other B-body and vice versa. I don't understand why the Starfire should go in "Other Oldsmobiles", let alone be a separate forum. For the same reason, I don't know why Cutlass and 442 are separate.
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 61-66 Starfire is just a B-body with brushed trim. Engines, brakes, trans, body panels are all the same (the Starfire engine was an option in other 88s). 90% of the questions relate to every other B-body and vice versa. I don't understand why the Starfire should go in "Other Oldsmobiles", let alone be a separate forum. For the same reason, I don't know why Cutlass and 442 are separate.
Joe, there's more to the Starfire than brushed trim. Most of the body trim and interior trim is different (But I don't have to tell you that, I'm sure you know that). It's easier for someone looking for a cast chrome trim part that doesn't exist on any other model to post on a specific Starfire forum where others might see it. Heck my 65 needs a new arm rest pad, the Starfire is different than all the rest and nobody repops it. Same with the Cutlass/442. lots of details that are different. Yes, mechanics are mostly the same but that is not the only thing people want to talk about with their model. Be it historical information or just posting pictures of other cars like theirs. If not a specific forum, it technically would fit better in the 88 forum which is where I initially posted because I didn't notice it in the "other Olds" forum. Just my pennies worth! :-) I'd still be happy to help move the Starfire specific messages to one place.

Last edited by jonjonbear; June 20th, 2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Have to agree with Joe P here.

The assertion of jonjonbear that "It is built on the 88 platform, but seems there are a lot of differences" does not comport with reality. Most of the differences are trim, be it exterior or interior.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Have to agree with Joe P here.

The assertion of jonjonbear that "It is built on the 88 platform, but seems there are a lot of differences" does not comport with reality. Most of the differences are trim, be it exterior or interior.
One could say the same thing between the Cutlass and 442 as well, no? If you're going to look at it that way.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 03:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

One could say the same thing between the Cutlass and 442 as well, no? If you're going to look at it that way.

Which I DID back up in my original post...
Old June 22nd, 2018, 03:48 PM

Hi group,
Wouldn't it be nice to have a specific Starfire forum, along with the others in the "big body" lineup? It is built on the 88 platform, but seems there are a lot of differences. They do have three variations of the Cutlass as separate forums, and the Starfire is the 442 of the big cars so it seems only fair to list it separately as well! :-)

Cheers,

John

What about the 1954 thru 1957 Starfire they were based on the 98 chassis??
Old June 22nd, 2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
What about the 1954 thru 1957 Starfire they were based on the 98 chassis??
At that time the Starfire name was a trim level, like the Regency or Regency Brougham later on. It wasn't it's own model.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 06:35 PM

I ran a forum for years, it is 100% possible to setup those sub forums as stated by the OP. The site may not have the man power to complete it though, it can be tedious... However, in my opinion it would benefit the site greatly to have separated sub forums for "All models" it should expand the content in those categories because people feel like they have a place to share and rely on information that pertains directly to their car/project. just my .02
Old June 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by carbizguy
I ran a forum for years, it is 100% possible to setup those sub forums as stated by the OP. The site may not have the man power to complete it though, it can be tedious... However, in my opinion it would benefit the site greatly to have separated sub forums for "All models" it should expand the content in those categories because people feel like they have a place to share and rely on information that pertains directly to their car/project. just my .02
THANK YOU!!!

They mentioned that the tedious step would be to move the Starfire related posts from "other Oldsmobiles" to the Starfire sub forum would be tedious. I volunteered to do it. I know they would have to make me a temporary admin, but I'm sure they can limit access. Just putting that out there.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 11:49 AM

I am new to this forum. If a newer guy can weigh in, I would say yes to creating a Starfire section. Thx again for letting me feel welcome.
Old June 24th, 2018, 12:20 AM

At that time the Starfire name was a trim level, like the Regency or Regency Brougham later on. It wasn't it's own model.

All 1954 thru1957 Olds 98 conv. were Starfires ,There was no such thing as a plain 98. So it was not a trim level.
Old June 24th, 2018, 01:02 PM

All 1954 thru1957 Olds 98 conv. were Starfires
All 1957 Ninety-Eights were Starfires, not just Ninety-Eight convertibles.

But this was true only for 1957, at least according to the Olds brochures from that time.

From the 1957 brochure:

In the 1956 brochure, only the 98 convertible is referred to as a Starfire.

The '54 and '55 brochures are the same as '56 with only the 98 convertible being referred to as Starfire.
Old June 24th, 2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
All 1957 Ninety-Eights were Starfires, not just Ninety-Eight convertibles.

But this was true only for 1957, at least according to the Olds brochures from that time.

From the 1957 brochure:

In the 1956 brochure, only the 98 convertible is referred to as a Starfire.

The '54 and '55 brochures are the same as '56 with only the 98 convertible being referred to as Starfire.

Didn't I say that in my last post???All 98 conv. from 1954 thru 1957 are Starfires
Old June 25th, 2018, 09:06 AM

Didn't I say that in my last post???All 98 conv. from 1954 thru 1957 are Starfires
That's not what your last post said.

The OP said this:
Then you said this:
All 1954 thru1957 Olds 98 conv. were Starfires ,There was no such thing as a plain 98. So it was not a trim level.
The first part of this is true. All 1954 through 1957 98 convertibles were Starfires.

But the second part of your statement is not true. There WAS such a thing as a plain 98 for 1954 through 1956, as I showed above. For those years, the Starfire name was attached only to the 98 convertible.

What you meant to say was "there was no such thing as a plain 98 convertible." So your statement could be taken more than one way, and I took it to mean as you wrote it.

As far as the OP's original comment, that the Starfire was a "trim level" and not it's own model during the '50s, the second part of that statement is true. The Starfire was not its own model in the '50s versions as it was in the '60s versions. It was a version of the 98. As far as the first part of this statement, that the Starfire was a trim level, that's not true, unless you define "trim level" as a body style, but most people would not do that.

Oldsmobile did both in the 1960s. When the Starfire was reintroduced in 1961, it was a convertible version of the Super 88 and not its own series. So, it that fashion, it was treated the same as the '54 through '56 versions. But starting in '62 and going through '66, the Starfire was its own series and was available in both coupe and convertible styles over those years.
Old June 25th, 2018, 09:18 AM

All 1954 thru1957 Olds 98 convertibles were Starfires ,There was no such thing as a plain 98 convertible. So it was not a trim level.[/QUOTE]

Trim level means interior or chrome treatments
Body style is conv. sedan, hardtop, wagon etc.
Model is 88,98,F-85.
Old June 25th, 2018, 02:48 PM

I also would like to see a Starfire specific section, especially for the 1961-66 model years.
Old June 25th, 2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
That's not what your last post said.

The OP said this:

Then you said this:
The first part of this is true. All 1954 through 1957 98 convertibles were Starfires.

But the second part of your statement is not true. There WAS such a thing as a plain 98 for 1954 through 1956, as I showed above. For those years, the Starfire name was attached only to the 98 convertible.

What you meant to say was "there was no such thing as a plain 98 convertible." So your statement could be taken more than one way, and I took it to mean as you wrote it.

As far as the OP's original comment, that the Starfire was a "trim level" and not it's own model during the '50s, the second part of that statement is true. The Starfire was not its own model in the '50s versions as it was in the '60s versions. It was a version of the 98. As far as the first part of this statement, that the Starfire was a trim level, that's not true, unless you define "trim level" as a body style, but most people would not do that.

Oldsmobile did both in the 1960s. When the Starfire was reintroduced in 1961, it was a convertible version of the Super 88 and not its own series. So, it that fashion, it was treated the same as the '54 through '56 versions. But starting in '62 and going through '66, the Starfire was its own series and was available in both coupe and convertible styles over those years.
Since you want to split hairs, please indicate your source of information that the 1961 Starfire was a version of the Super 88..I have checked all my Oldsmobile history books and I have found nothing other than stating that the 1961 Starfire was it's own model and nothing that it was a trim level of the Super 88 in 1961.
Thank you...
John
Old June 25th, 2018, 08:49 PM

Since you want to split hairs, please indicate your source of information that the 1961 Starfire was a version of the Super 88..I have checked all my Oldsmobile history books and I have found nothing other than stating that the 1961 Starfire was it's own model and nothing that it was a trim level of the Super 88 in 1961.
Thank you...
John
I have news for you, jonjon. I don't split hairs.

Second, my source is a book called "Setting the Pace, Oldsmobile's First 100 Years." It was written in 1996 for the Oldsmobile Centennial in 1997. In the back of the book are production records going back to the beginning. Below is the entry for 1961.

Note that there are FOUR series, F-85, Dynamic 88, Super 88, and 98 (which Olds called "Classic 98" that year). Note that the Starfire is shown as a submodel of the Super 88. I've used blue arrows to highlight these. It was offered only as a convertible. It was a mid-model year introduction, being added to the Oldsmobile line-up in January 1961. That's why it doesn't appear in the various 1961 Oldsmobile brochures, which were all printed before the start of the model year. The separate Starfire brochure can be seen here.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/olds/61os/61os.html

Now let's look at the 1962 entry. There are two F-85 series, plus Dynamic 88, Super 88, 98, and, at the bottom, Starfire. Available in two styles, convertible and coupe. The entries for 1963 through 1966 are the same as for '62. Starfire is its own series. For '61, it was a mid-year introduced, upscale version of the Super 88 convertible.

In case you are interested, the titles of the columns going left to right and starting with the first yellow one are base price, production, wheelbase, length (both in inches), weight in lbs, cylinders, type, bore and stroke, displacement, horsepower, and comments.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 25th, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old June 25th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Here is the book I refer to above. You can get it on Amazon and add it to your collection of Oldsmobile history books.

Amazon Amazon
Old June 26th, 2018, 04:48 AM

Joe P nailed it.

I’m behind on this, but Joe P is right. 99.99% of your 65-66 Starfire questions will have the same answers as the 88/98 forums. Except trim.

I’ve happily owned my ‘66 s/f for 20 years. Wow, that went quickly.

I’ve often described it to non-olds people as “an Olds 88 with a console shifter, bucket seats, and the Pontiac Grand Prix concave rear window. Or for foreign car people, “sort of like a 1966 BMW 635”.

But when you dig into it, by 1966 the S/f was really mostly a trim package with a slightly rare cam & dual exhaust. Which could be had as options on the other 66 big cars if you ordered them.

It’s a great car. Starts easily, runs great, A/c & power everything. It’s not much loved at the moment by my teenage girls (too showy for 1, too old for the other), but most everyone else likes it.

My $.02

Cheers
Cf