Vendor Needed/72 Delta 88 Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2018, 02:25 PM

Vendor Needed/72 Delta 88 Gas Tank

Hi all,

Anyone recommend a good vendor for a new gas tank for my 72 Delta 88?

thanks,
Kensey
Pittsburgh, PA
Old April 2nd, 2018, 03:42 PM

Hello, my name is Jim. I do not know of any vendors making new gas tanks for these cars. I am not saying they are not available, I have never come across any new tanks. I have 3 or 4 nice used tanks if you have no luck finding a new one. They are from 1974-1976 deltas. Good luck
Old April 2nd, 2018, 05:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Spectra makes them (#GM38B) and you can get it on Amazon for $143.84 with free shipping if you are a Prime member. There was a thread on this last week. Try the search function and you should find it.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 06:11 PM

I need to crawl back under my 88 and take a look, but I don't think the #GM38B is the correct shape? I think mine is rectangle with the filler neck centered in the front, and the sending unit and stuff centered in the back.

Any additional thoughts?

Thanks for the help!
Old April 2nd, 2018, 08:11 PM

The thread that redoldsman mentions does talk about the GM38B fuel tank, but there are errors in that thread.

The initial link mentioned in that thread is this one:

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/spectr...f1990608f2262&

It shows GM38B as being the correct tank for a '72 Delta 88. But that site is wrong, and everyone, including me, was fooled by that site. The tank shown is correct for the '72 full-size wagon, the Custom Cruiser. I checked a couple of other sites just now, rockauto and Autozone, and both show the GM38B as being for station wagons.

Here's the image of the GM38B tank that many of the vendor sites show. It's misleading because the tank is not oriented correctly. The tank in the full-size wagons sits vertically in the left rear fender, not horizontally under the car. The clamshell wagons could not have their fuel tanks under the car at the rear like most cars have it because the descending tailgate took up the space.

Here's the diagram out of the '73 chassis service manual. It's the same for '72. Look at the upper right part of the diagram at the fuel tank and how it is situated. The tank should be vertical with the filler neck pointing up and to the right as you view the car from the front. The sending unit mount is on the other side from the filler neck at the top (just to the right of where it says "main fuel hose" on the diagram).

The correct fuel tank for the '72 Delta 88 does lay horizontally with the filler neck at the rear on top and the sending unit mounting hole centered on the top of the tank. It would look very similar to this (which also shows the sending unit attached).

The bottom line is that bigdooly is correct. No one makes fuel tanks for the early '70s Olds full-size non-wagons, yet they do for the wagons. Weird.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 08:18 PM

Just to finish the thought, here's a photo showing the fuel filler door location on a clamshell wagon. It's high on the left rear fender, and the top of the tank is right under that door. The filler neck on these is as shown in the first photo in the post above. It's only about two inches long as opposed to the foot or more length of the filler neck on the horiztonally-oriented tanks.

Old April 2nd, 2018, 09:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jaunty, thanks for straightening this out. Makes no sense they would make the tank for a wagon and not a passenger car. I checked Tanks Inc. and they have nothing.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 05:26 AM

There's a few tanks out there that totally look like they'ed fit, but I don't want to just try them. Shipping is too expensive... I may call a few of these dealers and ask if one will fit. Otherwise I guess I'll reseal mine.

I'm also hoping that maybe one of the rubber lines right above the tank is rotted and slow leaking, and not the tank at all. Wishful thinking.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the clarification Jaunty. When I resealed the tank on my 71 98 I searched for a replacement but had no luck. My fuel tank is actually dented pretty bad, but it still works.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 07:15 AM

Kensey, do you have the tank out of the car now? If so can you take some pictures and measurements of it? bigdooly has a gas tank from a 1974. I've got one from a 1970. Maybe one of us can provide you with a good used tank if we can match the 1972? bigdooly also lives in PA so if his would fit that would be best on shipping. John
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:04 AM

I haven't pulled it yet. Very slow leak, so I'm enjoying the few nice days here and there. BUT I have to fix it, even the smallest amount of gas is super stinky. Hoping this weekend, I'll update as soon as I pull it. I also need to figure out what to do with 18 gallons of gas...
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kensey
I also need to figure out what to do with 18 gallons of gas...
Burn it in a lawn mower, weed eater or chainsaw. You could also use it to burn brush if you live in the county.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:15 AM

also need to figure out what to do with 18 gallons of gas...
I just siphon it out into bucket until the bucket is full and then, with a big funnel, pour it into one of my regular cars. Do the job when the tank on one of your other cars is near empty. Gas is gas, after all, right?

It would take a long time to burn 18 gallons of fuel in a lawn mower or chain saw.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
It would take a long time to burn 18 gallons of fuel in a lawn mower or chain saw.
Yeah, I could never burn it in my chainsaw. My chainsaw is a POS Poulan Pro I got from Harbor Freight. It's never run right.
Old April 6th, 2018, 04:52 PM

I'm hoping to drop the tank this weekend, I'll get picts and measurements.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: It looks like the 1972 tanks for A body cars would fit. They are 17 gallon vs 25, but look to be the right shape, filler neck and vent holes. I know the purist guys won't like this idea, but it sounds better then restoring a tank with holes. Those slosh baffles are gonna make it hard to reline. I also emailed a few gas tank vendors to see what they come up with.

I'll update as I go.
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:01 PM

There's also this tank that's a 20 gallon. Anyone know why this wouldn't work?

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd302.htm
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:18 PM

Gas Tank Compatibility Question

Hi all,

I started this conversation in the 88 section, but want to pose my question the the entire board. I apologize to all the purists upfront.

I need a gas tank for my 72 Delta 88. NO ONE seems to repro it.

MY QUESTION IS: Can I use a tank for a 72 A-body car? I know it's a smaller tank, but the specs look like they'd work: shape, filler neck angle, vent holes.

Does anyone know why this WOULDN'T work? Other then stopping for gas a little more frequently?

Thanks!
Kensey
Pittsburgh, PA
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads. No reason to start a new one and get duplicate info.
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:17 PM

Thanks! I started the new one to reach the broader audience.
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:13 PM

There's also this tank that's a 20 gallon. Anyone know why this wouldn't work?
Anything can be made to work with enough effort. How handy are you or how handy do you want to be?

This tank wouldn't be a drop-in replacement. You'd have to modify the area under the car where the tank sits so that it is still tight to the car when the straps are tight while the filler neck still reaches where it needs to and there is room for the fuel lines and sending unit.

You might also search junkyards for an early '70s full-size Olds that's being parted out where you might get a gas tank. It'll be just as old as yours, but if it's in decent shape and can be made to work, you would not have the fitment issues.
Old April 6th, 2018, 08:27 PM

Instead of going with a tank for a smaller car, how about getting one for a full-size Oldsmobile but a later year?

Tanks are available for later-year Delta 88s.

Rockauto has them for the '74 through '76 Deltas.

Part number GM40A for the '74 and GM40K for the '75 and '76.

I showed the one that I bought for my '78 Toronado in message #5 in this thread. Model number GM40U. Looks pretty much the same as the one above. I bought mine from Amazon, but rockauto sells them, too. I'm not sure what the difference is among GM40A, GM40K, and GM40U, but any of them might be a better fit or require less modification than an A-body tank.
Old April 7th, 2018, 10:14 AM

I'm amazed that there hasn't been any reply to bigdooly's offer for 4 "nice" used gas tanks. AND they're right around the corner from you :-)....
Old April 7th, 2018, 10:33 AM

Well, I'd rather not have to restore a tank. That may sound odd, but if I can use a new tank that will fit but is just a little smaller I'd rather go that route.
Old April 7th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Well, I'd rather not have to restore a tank. That may sound odd, but if I can use a new tank that will fit but is just a little smaller I'd rather go that route.
They may not need to be restored. And having a shop refurbish, if needed, what would be a drop-in replacement is certainly better than trying to make an incorrect tank work. I understand the desire for new versus used. But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. My '67 Delta 88, now 51 years and 130,000 miles later, still has its original tank, and it's in great shape. I would at least look over the used tanks before rejecting them. And I've worked with Jim/bigdooly on several occasions for used parts. He will accurately describe what he has.
Old April 8th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Leaking along this edge. Enough to soak the top and bottom metal, weird.
Old April 8th, 2018, 11:39 AM

Got the tank dropped. I stink of gas... Poor engineering on these with that gutter/folded up metal edge. Was filled with mud, dirt, etc. That's were it's leaking, the seam. I didn't actually get into wire brushing everything to see the extent. The tank isn't horrendous, but I just feel like relining it is a temporary fix.

The measurements are: 34in wide, 33in deep, 8in high.

The A-body tanks are 39in wide, not sure if that will fit? I need to take a look underneath again.
Old April 8th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am in the same court as Jaunty. I would rather have the tank repaired than jerry rig something on there that doesn't fit. The tank on my 54 was re-lined about 6 years ago and I have had no problems. I would not hesitate to re-line that tank. It will probably cost you less than $200. Then you can paint the outside of it and be done. Of course it is your car and you should do what you want. JMO.
Old April 8th, 2018, 09:25 PM

That tank is probably beyond repair. It's not just the seam leaks that are the problem, but the metal walls of the tank have thinned because of rust. A new liner might seal the seam leaks, but I don't think it would take the place of metal and strengthen the tank walls.

Like I said, I'd check the used tanks available before trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.
Old April 8th, 2018, 09:36 PM

Thank you for posting pictures and measurements of your tank. One more measurement though, can you tell us how far apart the two straps are?

If Jim doesn't reply I'd encourage you to contact him and see what his tanks measure out at. I'll get the details and photos of my 1970 in case Jim's don't match up. John
Old April 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM

That tank looks to be in fine condition for a 46 year old car. I can't see any evidence of leaking from the pics. As redoldsman mentioned, find a new tank that will fit if it gives you peace of mind.

FWIW, I would consider lining a new tank as well. It's one of those MAW things.
Old April 9th, 2018, 06:09 AM

Morning all. I'm going to try the 72 Cutlas tank and sending unit. From what I can tell, it's a very close match. I'm already expecting to regret my decision, and I'll keep you all up to date on the project. Thanks.
Old April 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM

Well, my 1970 does have different vent locations. But the measurements looks to be the same or very close. Whatever tank you end up using make sure its secure. Last thing you want is for the tank to be moving around while your driving! Since these aren't reproduced I'll likely keep this tank when I make a scrap run to get rid of the remains of the 1970 Delta I parted out.

John

Old April 9th, 2018, 12:46 PM

73 and 88 and 98 have bump up in the trunk for the tank hump and 71 and 72 trunk has no hump. 73 gm ghange how the evap system worked
Old April 9th, 2018, 05:10 PM

Yep, that's why I'm going with the 72 Cutlas. Dam near the same tank, minus 5 gallons.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 04:15 PM
RWK

How did that work out? I have same problem, Cutlass tank wider and shorter, strap recess wrong also, just got a GM 34R, the strap spacing 20 in. vs 17 for the 88 tank, about 8" shorter front to back 8" wider, going to look for a used tank
Old October 11th, 2020, 04:13 PM

I’m curious if a plastic tank from say a mid 90’s impala could be used? I’m swapping my 71 Delta 88 with an LS motor so obviously originality doesn’t matter on my build. I’m looking at Ricks Tanks custom aluminum tank or possibly having mine re-sealed with a drop in style Holley or Aeromotive in tank pump.
Old October 12th, 2020, 06:59 AM
RWK

I also would use any tank that would fit safely,
I found this tank with similar dim's. Spectra 61A , fits other GMs same year, it MAY fit, but currently out of stock with some vendors, it's made in Canada and shipping is a problem now, and I'm not willing to spend the money on one when shipping it back,(100$ plus) if it doesn't fit, already stuck with a repop cutlass tank, cost more to return then I paid for it.
Old October 12th, 2020, 09:13 AM

the 90’s impala tank has a bump up like the 73 up tank does. you would have to modify the trunk floor under the spare tire.
Old October 12th, 2020, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by cfhcar
the 90’s impala tank has a bump up like the 73 up tank does. you would have to modify the trunk floor under the spare tire.
Well that sucks. Not willing to modify my trunk floor
Old October 12th, 2020, 05:08 PM
RWK

try the one I mentioned, no bump, fits LeSabre and Centurion of same year, Spectra 61A, let me know if it fits!

Quick Reply: Vendor Needed/72 Delta 88 Gas Tank