1961 88 Fuel line routing

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM

1961 88 Fuel line routing

Just as the title implies. My car has yards of rubber fuel line underneath and i want to eliminate it ALL. My biggest visible hurdle seems to be the routing from the tank to the passenger frame rail. It is a tortuous path through the rear suspension and exhaust. Some PO ran rubber through the frame rail and where it exits it will surely wear a hole given time. Does anyone have a photo or diagram of where the line runs here?
The other question is the engine compartment. The line goes from the carb to the passenger inner fender and then down to the frame at the firewall (currently running an electric pump on the frame) I'd like to see some pictures of this routing also if anyone can help. Thanks in advance fellow CO members!
Old March 6th, 2018, 07:47 AM

Factory ran rubber thru the frame.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:41 AM

Thank you.
Old March 8th, 2018, 06:17 AM

I just noticed where you live. I drove thru your town last week coming home from Florida. I was looking at the Protect-O-Plate and my Olds was Purchased in Carbondale Ill. not too far from you at Swindell Motors Later purchased by Pearl Motor Co.
Old March 8th, 2018, 07:12 AM

Yup they call Wentzville "Crossroads of the Nation" which I guess means people mostly just drive through.....

Its a nice little "small town" kind of still has that feel in some parts and some parts are "new" with our very own SUPER Walmart (I avoid the place) and all the latest fast food joints and eateries.

What I miss most though is MAR, Mid America Raceway. Yeah, we had a badass little 1/4 mile track here and it had a road course too at one point. A lot of big names ran here back in the day it was just a cool little track with lots of shade trees and a laid back atmosphere. They had a great nostalgia event here twice a year too. It was sold to housing developers and shut down in 2004.

They still have a cruise twice a year. It was always run in conjunction with the nostalgia race and they've kept it going as a DARE event. It's crawling with cops and they don't put up with shenanigans but it still has a pretty big draw.

Anyway, i hope you didn't blink as you drove through, maybe next time stop in and have a beer.
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:52 AM

My 63 has the same rubber at both ends only I have two lines due to factory A/C vapor return. I had them all replaced with FI quality hose which should last quite a while. The hose does go thru holes in the frame, your FSM should have a diagram of the factory routing.
Old March 10th, 2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 61Bat
Yup they call Wentzville "Crossroads of the Nation" which I guess means people mostly just drive through.....

Its a nice little "small town" kind of still has that feel in some parts and some parts are "new" with our very own SUPER Walmart (I avoid the place) and all the latest fast food joints and eateries.

What I miss most though is MAR, Mid America Raceway. Yeah, we had a badass little 1/4 mile track here and it had a road course too at one point. A lot of big names ran here back in the day it was just a cool little track with lots of shade trees and a laid back atmosphere. They had a great nostalgia event here twice a year too. It was sold to housing developers and shut down in 2004.

They still have a cruise twice a year. It was always run in conjunction with the nostalgia race and they've kept it going as a DARE event. It's crawling with cops and they don't put up with shenanigans but it still has a pretty big draw.

Anyway, i hope you didn't blink as you drove through, maybe next time stop in and have a beer.
Will do, I would like to seeyour Olds.
Old March 30th, 2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
My 63 has the same rubber at both ends only I have two lines due to factory A/C vapor return. I had them all replaced with FI quality hose which should last quite a while. The hose does go thru holes in the frame, your FSM should have a diagram of the factory routing.
My 61 88 2 dr sedan also has the return line they must have put them on all of them because they don't get any cheaper than that.
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:11 PM

That front rubber line snaking around the A arm sure looks scary for factory. Mine lasted 55 years, so I guess it works!
Old March 31st, 2018, 06:28 PM

So I ended up using 3/8" braided steel line i had from an old project I had bought a whole roll for. I used a black fabric electrical harness tape to cover it in the engine compartment so it doesn't stick out and look too modern. I ran solid line along the frame to the electric pump (still not sure if im keeping it long term) and then more braided steel to the tank using hose clamps and barbed fittings. No leaks so we will see.