That kid from Mich w/ the 77 pacecar

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Cool That kid from Mich w/ the 77 pacecar

Whats happinin?

I stumbled across this forum from a google search on adapting the 350 olds from tbhe sevill with the port fuel injection to a 403.

Well I have a decent 77 delta 88 indy pacecar, 1990 Toronado, and the odd man out is the 2003 regal GSX.

The indy is going through a eng/trans overhaul, the Toro is a upcoming candidate for a series II supercharged motor I have in the garage .

And the Regal just goes really faaast!!

Ask away, I preaty much know all abouts the 77 delta indy pace car from the one with the roof cut open to the one sold at barrett jackson. I have all of the detais and pleanty of pictures
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sounds like you got a fleet.

Glad you found us and decided to join in on the fun.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. Post four more times and wait a few days and you can show us your pics.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Oh I can show everyone the cars regardless Whats the internet without pictures!!

Well the first isnt my car but Id like to think it is

targatop.jpg

This is the summer sports car, or soon to be baby carrier

f7fa6b15.jpg

This bad boy is awaiting its heart transplant any day now!!

steve_loves_88s.jpg

This be the old daily driver that never left. Kinda glad it didn't. The tranny is showing its age but the Series II in the garage is screaming to be tossed in it! I guess as soon as I dig up a trans and wire harness with pcm for it !

sideshot.jpg

IF anyone cares I got pictures of the civic and HHR but meh, dime a dozen!!
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Looks like you have a garage full, welcome to the site
Old April 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by delta88
Whats happinin?

Ask away, I preaty much know all abouts the 77 delta indy pace car from the one with the roof cut open to the one sold at barrett jackson. I have all of the detais and pleanty of pictures

the top wasn't cut open on that car it never had a full length top.

anyways i have alot of qestions about these cars. i have one. how many where there. how many are still alive. is their a junk yard full of them.

thanks
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Well when i say cut open the top was cut across for the Targa look. See the picture of me in it As for how many official track cars I have seen two. I heard of a 3rd but it has not been confirmed. As for dealer replicas it was jsut over 2k. 2048? the number escapes me at the moment. As for a junkyard full of them, not full of pacecars but around me there are yards with 88's in them. Right now I have a 79 98 coupe with red interior. I need the drivetrain and dash but the rest of the car is here for parts!!!
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Welcome. Love those pace cars.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by delta88
Well when i say cut open the top was cut across for the Targa look. See the picture of me in it As for how many official track cars I have seen two. I heard of a 3rd but it has not been confirmed. As for dealer replicas it was jsut over 2k. 2048? the number escapes me at the moment. As for a junkyard full of them, not full of pacecars but around me there are yards with 88's in them. Right now I have a 79 98 coupe with red interior. I need the drivetrain and dash but the rest of the car is here for parts!!!
yeah that number sounds like right. mine is like 16** i forget the number.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Past Administrator

Don't forget to update us on the "transplant" procedure.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:38 AM
77 Delta Man

OK, how the F*@! did you get a pic IN one of the Targa cars????

if memory serves, the correct production# is 2401. But feel free to correct me.

Last edited by 77IndyPacer; May 11th, 2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add to post
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:43 AM
77 Delta Man

so, besides GM needs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, what was the history with the one at B-Jackson?
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Ok where are there junkyards full of 88's? Cause it ain't around here. I had to scrouge around to find one in a yard and was lucky it had the aluminum hood I was looking for.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:12 PM
77 Delta Man

x2 Yep, I'm wondering the same thing...WHERE ARE THE JUNKYARDS??

And how did you get lucky enough to find an aluminum hood?? I still have my hood, but wish I could find the aluminum bumpers!!!
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 77IndyPacer
x2 Yep, I'm wondering the same thing...WHERE ARE THE JUNKYARDS??

And how did you get lucky enough to find an aluminum hood?? I still have my hood, but wish I could find the aluminum bumpers!!!

I think the aluminum bumpers are just the pices behind the actual bumper but I won't say for sure. I actually knew where there was atleast one more but on that one the one aluminum hinge was bent. It really is quite the weight savings. Now I need the plastic(fiberglass?) tailgate for my wagon.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
77 Delta Man

Yeah, I'm not sure about the bumpers either. I have heard (like you said) about the rear supports, and I've heard it was a full alum bumper. My car had been wrecked front and back, so they have been replaced with stock steel ones.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldsowner1977
the top wasn't cut open on that car it never had a full length top.

anyways i have alot of qestions about these cars. i have one. how many where there. how many are still alive. is their a junk yard full of them.

thanks

this came out a little diffenretly then i ment it. i ment like full of old oldsmobiles.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by The Stickman
I think the aluminum bumpers are just the pices behind the actual bumper but I won't say for sure. I actually knew where there was atleast one more but on that one the one aluminum hinge was bent. It really is quite the weight savings. Now I need the plastic(fiberglass?) tailgate for my wagon.
First of all, welcome to delta88. Nice Oldsmobiles! Nice move with the Toro. Olds should have offered the supercharged 3800; it would have completed the Trofeo package!

The aluminum bumpers were the pieces behind the bumpers. Nice bit of engineering work there. NEVER PUT A BUMPER JACK ON THESE BUMPERS. The aluminum and steel together created a bi-metallic reaction that turned the aluminum to powder. That's why those bumpers fell off. Can you imagine having the car bumper-jacked up to change a tire and having it let loose?
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
First of all, welcome to delta88. Nice Oldsmobiles! Nice move with the Toro. Olds should have offered the supercharged 3800; it would have completed the Trofeo package!

The aluminum bumpers were the pieces behind the bumpers. Nice bit of engineering work there. NEVER PUT A BUMPER JACK ON THESE BUMPERS. The aluminum and steel together created a bi-metallic reaction that turned the aluminum to powder. That's why those bumpers fell off. Can you imagine having the car bumper-jacked up to change a tire and having it let loose?

I just today check my bumpers and low and behold I have the aluminum inner bumpers. Now the odd part is the rear has some white powder starting buy not alot. The front is like new.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

I had a '78 Delta 88 that had those kind of bumpers. The PO had put a class II hitch on the car and between the extra stress and the bi-metal corrosion the thing practically fell off on it's own one day. What a pain. Didn't those engineers ever learn the basics of corrosion in school?
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM

Bumper inserts

Since you guys got to talking bumpers, it reminded me that I am still looking for the rubber/plastic bumper inserts that fill the space between the body and the bumper. I know they make the hard plastic (ABS?) reproduction pieces for the rear corners, but what about the pieces below the taillights/fuel filler, and the ones across the front? Anyone ever seen these on the market as repro parts?
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I just tucked mine in closer to the body. Nolt for those going stock but for those that are ok with modding it sure looks better. In the back I will probably make metal pieces to fill those holes in and mate them to the bumper.