Anyone installed door speakers in 80s Delta?

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Royale Brougham w/ Cheese

Lightbulb Anyone installed door speakers in 80s Delta?

In my 85 D88 RB I am planning a stereo upgrade. I want fuller sound in the front than I can get from 3.5" speakers only. I see that my power lock and window switches are in what looks like an "extension" off the front of the armrest. Thinking of relocating the switches elsewhere on the door, removing that armrest extension, and installing speakers in the door in that spot. Probably 6.5" round speakers.

Has anyone done this? How did it go?

Old December 20th, 2017, 09:44 AM

The problem you are going to run into is that you won't be able to simply cut a hole in the inner door skin and install the speakers. That would prevent your windows from operating!

You could build an enclosure and attach that to the door panel. How good are you at interior work?

If you want speakers on the door you might consider 2 or 3 inch speakers in the armrest. You could put them in the back under the rear pull-strap anchor or in the extension under the window switches.
Old December 20th, 2017, 09:57 AM

I think you'll be opening up a can of worms by doing that.
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Maintained

factory door speakers holes were in the carpeted bottom of the door near the front weren't they?

Old December 20th, 2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by scottv442
factory door speakers holes were in the carpeted bottom of the door near the front weren't they?

Didn't know those were there Only had this car a matter of months, and haven't pulled door panels yet. What size are they?

My other idea, actually, was to try to fit 4x10s along the bottom of the door. Thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-...lack/5760914.p
Old December 20th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Maintained

i think the opening is for 6" dia. but could be wrong.
the kickers will need some cutting to make them fit and could
stop the window from full downward movement depending on door hardware in the way.

best to take off the full door panel and see where your at.
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:03 PM
Olds Collector

I agree a can of worms. Without proper seals, water ruins the door panels, shorts wires, etc. Long Island rains a lot, I have made many trips to Bohemia, Long Island, NY. Original in most cases is best. Have you replaced the speakers in the corner of the dash with a newer upgraded unit that still fits in the original space? years from now you might be looking for door panels without holes to replace yours. They are hard to find in nice condition. Your gray ones look nice. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:14 AM
C-Lock85BroLife

I run kicker 6x9 components in the rear deck and kicker dash speakers in stock configuration along with 2 audiobahn 12’s and a 2600w amp. I use bass baffles and Dynamat to help direct the sound plus a pioneer DeH80prs head unit which uses internal auto EQ and level adjusting which helps direct your highs according to seating position. I think high end good quality speakers will satisfy what your looking for without any major modifications. Good tweeter positioning will also help.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by C-Lock85BroLife
I run kicker 6x9 components in the rear deck and kicker dash speakers in stock configuration along with 2 audiobahn 12’s and a 2600w amp. I use bass baffles and Dynamat to help direct the sound plus a pioneer DeH80prs head unit which uses internal auto EQ and level adjusting which helps direct your highs according to seating position. I think high end good quality speakers will satisfy what your looking for without any major modifications. Good tweeter positioning will also help.
OK this is good to know. Do you have any pictures of 6x9 installation? I have a pair that's ready to go in -- but I have read that 6x9s need an adapter or a spacer? Haven't pulled anything apart yet to start figuring. I'd like to look at someone else's installation first if I could.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:27 AM
C-Lock85BroLife

Yes I can take some pictures later, I didn’t have to use an adapter because the speakers I use have a 1/2” thick rubber pad on the mounting area. Also where they mount from inside of the trunk as opposed to dropping in from inside the cab you won’t be able to use speaker grilles on the 6x9’s because the rear deck is not wide enough. I made the mistake of cutting my carpet on the deck before taking these measurements lol.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:29 AM
C-Lock85BroLife

Originally Posted by C-Lock85BroLife
Yes I can take some pictures later, I didn’t have to use an adapter because the speakers I use have a 1/2” thick rubber pad on the mounting area. Also where they mount from inside of the trunk as opposed to dropping in from inside the cab you won’t be able to use speaker grilles on the 6x9’s because the rear deck is not wide enough. I made the mistake of cutting my carpet on the deck before taking these measurements lol.
Also I haven’t found a permanent home for my tweeters right now they are currently hanging above my head on the clothes hanger hooks...😂