1967 Delta 88

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:44 PM

1967 Delta 88

Just acquired my first ever Olds - a 1967 Delta 88 Convertible with the 425 + Quadrajet.

A few rust spots but the interior is in awesome shape. Over the next year I'll be having the interior vinyl re-colored, a new roof (its not bad but needs an update), seals and gaskets, and likely a paint job. A little bit of rust on the rear quarters but nothing terrible.

A couple of questions for the forum here - I'll likely post to the relevant technical section too.

1. Absolutely none of the electrics work (although it starts and runs). To save me some research time, is there a common fusible link that I can initially check?
2. Is it worth getting a rebuild kit for the quadrajet? The codes on the tag are 33 1(maybe) 26250 (which I think means it's a 60's carb built in 1966 for Olds, non Cali), RH. So far I cant find a kit, would appreciate some opinions here.

I've posted some pictures but I'll get better ones as the project progresses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image1.jpeg (958.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg
image2.jpeg (1.17 MB, 14 views)
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice foundation for a project. When you say nothing works... do you mean no instrument, courtesy or panel lights, radio, top, wipers, heater motor, etc?
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:03 PM

Welcome to CO, 88 looks very nice, probably want to post questions in another thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...king-help.html Thread with similar problem.

Last edited by classicmuscle442; November 22nd, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dolores
Just acquired my first ever Olds - a 1967 Delta 88 Convertible with the 425 + Quadrajet.

A few rust spots but the interior is in awesome shape. Over the next year I'll be having the interior vinyl re-colored, a new roof (its not bad but needs an update), seals and gaskets, and likely a paint job. A little bit of rust on the rear quarters but nothing terrible.

A couple of questions for the forum here - I'll likely post to the relevant technical section too.

1. Absolutely none of the electrics work (although it starts and runs). To save me some research time, is there a common fusible link that I can initially check?
2. Is it worth getting a rebuild kit for the quadrajet? The codes on the tag are 33 1(maybe) 26250 (which I think means it's a 60's carb built in 1966 for Olds, non Cali), RH. So far I cant find a kit, would appreciate some opinions here.

I've posted some pictures but I'll get better ones as the project progresses.
Welcome to the site .A Oldsmobile shop manual is your best friend to help with wire diagrams and troubleshooting.You can get one on ebay for your year and model.Try NAPA for carb kit .
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:57 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... As for your electrical problem, I would suggest to start at the fuse box and work from there... Is there power to the fuse box and/or how many (if any) fuses are blown???
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:19 PM

New '67 Delta 88 Owner

Just picked up my first Olds - with a 425 4BBl. A few questions:

1. What is the power/torque of this engine? The Code is what you'd expect for a 425 (389244D)

2. It starts and runs but none of the electrics work (lights/seats/dash/turn signals etc). I'll spend some time tracing down the problem(s) but is there a common first place to look (maybe a primary fusible link)?

3. The quadrajet code is 33 1 26250 RH. I's like to get a rebuild kit but it looks look I should have a 70- prefix on the code - what do you think (see pic).

Thanks!
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Welcome to the group... As for your electrical problem, I would suggest to start at the fuse box and work from there... Is there power to the fuse box and/or how many (if any) fuses are blown???
Thanks John - yes that's my first place to start. (Actually second place - the drivers door wont open from inside the car so I'll fix that first).

I have three things to solve on the electrics so I can take her out for a proper drive:

1. Turn signals and brake lights
2. Seat Adjuster (right now its set for someone much shorter than me)
3. Coolant sender/guage light situation (is there even one on these cars?) . This car was originally a "barn find and someone had stolen the radiator for the copper".. Weird. Anyway the PO has installed a massive aftermarket alum radiator and new hoses/water pump and clutch fan... but completely missed putting a shroud on so the fan is 5-6" from the radiator. He told me it overheats if left to sit idling for 10-15 minutes. I suspect they only ran it up to temperature in the shop with the hood open. So - choice is rebuild the shroud (I dont have any of the parts or any idea what it looks like), or install electric fan(s) with a decent fan controller, ideally with a sender from the water pump.

Looking forward to working on this car and cruising about!
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. The first thing you need is a factory Chassis Service Manual. Don't waste your time with reprints or electronic versions, as they all have issues. Get an original paper copy. There are several on ebay right now.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

It's not necessary to post the same questions in multiple forums - in fact, you'll usually get a better answer more quickly if all responses are kept in a single thread so incorrect info can be identified and corrected.

As for stock HP ratings, here are the available engines. Keep in mind that these are SAE gross HP ratings and are optimistic compared to today's net ratings.

Old November 23rd, 2017, 07:57 AM
Administrator

I moved your thread to the electrical forum.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:08 PM
Oldsdruid

Look on LH inner fender underhood and you should see a junction block. It will have: battery cable from battery to JB, battery cable from JB to starter, a horn relay, and a threaded post with numerous smaller gage wires attached to it. That's where ALL the electrical power for this car is sourced. Check to see those wires are in place, especially a 10 gage red wire.

The factory shop book Joe P showed you will have a full color wiring diagram in it that shows where all power feeds route to.

Good luck!
Old November 24th, 2017, 04:33 AM

Apologies for multiple threads, thanks for moving this to the correct sub forum.

Factory Service Manual on order and should be here in a few days.

The positive leads look intact at the JB and I suspect that the engine grounds are OK else this thing wouldn’t start and run. I’ll take a closer look in the FSM when I’m back in town but I strongly suspect that body grounds will be the first place to look.

My first mini project will be to get the drivers door panel off, fix the opening issue and I’ll try and get the power window working so I have something specific to chase down. I’ll post back with results.