6-way Power Seat Switch '79 Delta 88 Holiday

Old October 17th, 2017, 02:05 PM

6-way Power Seat Switch '79 Delta 88 Holiday

Finally got our '79 Holiday 88 back and she's looking very nice in new paint, new vinyl top, and new headliner. She's been like running like a champ so I was unhappy to find a dead battery the other morning. I strongly suspect a broken power seat toggle switch that had made a connection and drained the battery over night. I've removed the switch which includes the chrome bezel in an assembly. The 6 way switches are in a block held securely in the bezel with 4 copper snaps that grab the bezel at each edge. Does anyone have experience with this assembly? There appears to be a switch from Fusik that may replace mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1981-Ol...hYgMTZ&vxp=mtr
It looks like I'll need to remove the defective switch block from the bezel and likely damage the clips and perhaps the bezel. Has anyone removed this block successfully? Any other ideas?

Right side toggle is no longer 'sprung' - flops - did work if I pushed in then 'up' or 'down' but this stopped working recently

Below - switch block back shows copper snap/tab (bend these up?)

Along side the snap/tab grip the bezel in a small window - (push these in?)

Anyone know a source for a complete assembly (switch block and bezel)?
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:25 AM

Well, with the switch out of the circuit I'm still finding the battery run down in the morning. So now I suspect the battery itself. I'll take it in and have it tested. I still need a fix for the power seat switch. I sent a message to the sales team at Fusick asking about their replacement part so hopefully they'll give me some guidance.
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jmatusiak
Well, with the switch out of the circuit I'm still finding the battery run down in the morning. So now I suspect the battery itself.
I would suggest that before you buy a new battery, simply disconnect the negative cable overnight and see if the battery loses charge. If not, the problem is not the battery.
Old October 20th, 2017, 03:17 PM

Good idea Joe - I'll do that. Thanks ..
Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:42 PM

OK, so I was at the shop today with the folks that did the restoration work on the Holiday 88. We pulled the switch and took it apart by prying up the snap retainers from the small windows on the sides of the bezel. The tech used a 2-part 'crazy glue' to reattach the broken toggle. Back together and installed, it works just fine now. So all is good on the power seat switch - for now.
Have not had the battery tested - nor tried Joe's suggestion - yet, but it definitely is not holding a charge....
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:54 PM
Administrator

With the car off place a 12v lamp in series with the negative battery cable and see if it glows.
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Forward into the Past

GM used that seat switch forever. I had them in my '95 Pontiac Bonneville, so they were in use at least through 1999. It's probably a $5 part at a U-Pull-It yard.
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:26 AM

So far the glue-up repair is holding but for sure will harvest a Pick-A-Part should it fail.
Turns out the battery was indeed 'toast'. Took it in to good old Canadian Tire where it was bought and tested on their bench. Reported as dead, dead, dead. Some warranty left so a replacement would cost a bit less. Problem is I just put the 88 away for the winter, so buying a replacement and sitting it for six months (no viable way to leave on trickle charge in my situation) did not make sense. I'll address all of the above next year.
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Human
GM used that seat switch forever. I had them in my '95 Pontiac Bonneville, so they were in use at least through 1999. It's probably a $5 part at a U-Pull-It yard.
Be aware that there are RH and LH versions of that switch, and the switch is different depending on whether it is mounted in the armrest or on the side of the seat. Nearly every one I've found in wrecking yards has the motor switch contacts burned out. I've gotten good at disassembly and filing the contacts. There are a LOT of fussy little pieces inside that switch.