Gas tank filler tube extension for a 55 S88

Old September 13th, 2017, 09:15 PM

Gas tank filler tube extension for a 55 S88

The filler tube is so short I can only fit so much of the nozzle in it, so by the time it clicks off there is at least a quart of gas on the ground, back in the day you could buy a twist on extension at any parts store but not now. Fusick sells one for a 57 but I have know way of knowing if it would work since the 57 comes out of the back taillight I think. Any ideas??
Thanks, Roy
Old September 14th, 2017, 08:51 AM

A picture would be nice but if I'm understanding you correctly your filler tube is to low in the car to get the gas nozzle into it correctly.Take it to a muffler shop and have them cut a piece of muffler tubing the correct length to extend it to where it needs to be. Splice a piece in and attach it with a rubber sleeve and hose clamps should work. Or maybe the sleeve would extend it to the correct length without the added piece.

I'm just curious is this a replacement tank that isn't correct for your car you are trying to make work?.... Tedd
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:35 PM

Thanks Ted. I bought the car as is so I have no idea if it's a replacement tank. Like I mentioned before I remember back in the day they made an extension about 4" long and all you did was take the cap off, twist the bottom part on just like a gas cap and then just twist the cap on to the top half..simple. I will take your advise and check with a muffler shop about cost, if it's too pricey I'll just deal with it as is, or using a long neck funnel would probably work, I would just feel a little silly at the pump.
I will take a photo and measurement tomorrow to satisfy your curiosity 👍🏻

Thanks again,
Roy
Old September 16th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fitti Fi
The filler tube is so short I can only fit so much of the nozzle in it, so by the time it clicks off there is at least a quart of gas on the ground, back in the day you could buy a twist on extension at any parts store but not now. Fusick sells one for a 57 but I have know way of knowing if it would work since the 57 comes out of the back taillight I think. Any ideas??
Thanks, Roy
You're right about the '57 having the filler in a door just below the left side tail light. What you see at Fusick (GFH57) may not be what you seek. If I'm remembering correctly, the '57 had a two section metal filler tube connected by a rubber hose. The lower section was part of the tank. The upper section mounted near the tail light.

Thanks Ted. I bought the car as is so I have no idea if it's a replacement tank. Like I mentioned before I remember back in the day they made an extension about 4" long and all you did was take the cap off, twist the bottom part on just like a gas cap and then just twist the cap on to the top half..simple. I will take your advise and check with a muffler shop about cost, if it's too pricey I'll just deal with it as is, or using a long neck funnel would probably work, I would just feel a little silly at the pump.
I will take a photo and measurement tomorrow to satisfy your curiosity 👍🏻

Thanks again,
Roy
On my '55 here's how the door and fill tube relate.

I've known this one since it left Lansing, so I'm fairly certain that's how it's supposed to look with the original tank. I generally don't have much trouble with spillage while filling. During hot weather I'll usually set the pump at a lower flow setting so there is less turbulence in the tank and filler tube. I also noticed that if the right side of the car is lower than the left side there will be less fuel puking out.
What you seek may be available, but you'll likely have to do a search. This may be one possibility:

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/

Or perhaps search the used market on eBay or somewhere similar.

Or just find a tube with the correct I.D. & O.D., bend it and cut it as needed, and use it during the refueling process. Surely there will be one that will fit inside the filler tube and accept the pump's nozzle inside it.
Old September 16th, 2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all of the good info and I agree with you all that it can be fabricated or may be just the slower feed method 👍🏻 I hav not forgotten the photo and measurement I've been veryyy busy the last two days. Stay tuned ...

Roy
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:33 PM

Photo and measurement

With may be 1/2" of the measuring tape in the tube it's 6" to the bottom lip of the gas door .. and that a straight shot; add the curvature of the pump nozzle it probably takes 7" to 8" to barely get inside the filler tube.
It's no big deal it's just what it is.

Peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1920.JPG (599.2 KB, 1 views)
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:42 PM

That's definitely a long way down the hole to get a nozzle to fit and not stock ether.. Tedd
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:52 PM

Thanks Tedd.

Take care,
Roy
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:08 PM

With may be 1/2" of the measuring tape in the tube it's 6" to the bottom lip of the gas door .. and that a straight shot; add the curvature of the pump nozzle it probably takes 7" to 8" to barely get inside the filler tube.
It's no big deal it's just what it is.

Peace
If your tank is mounted to the normal height, I suspect that the tank is not the correct tank for the car. The 1955 tank (part number 564053) is the same as the one for 1954, but different from all the rest. It's possible that someone changed the tank and used an incorrect one. I can see why you're having difficulty filling it. It's amazing that the nozzle will even do the auto cutoff.
The interchange book says that the 1955 tank will also interchange with the 1956 tank, but they have different part numbers, so something is a little different.
Old September 17th, 2017, 04:08 AM

Thanks, Ozzie. If this winds up the biggest problem I have with her then I have it made in the shade.

You guys enjoy the rest of the week end 👍🏻
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:52 AM

Here's a gas tank I pulled from a 1955 I dismantled a few years ago. I've also got a 1954 parts car that has a gas tank that looks a little cleaner. If parts from either of these would help let me know. John

Old September 17th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks John, but for such a minor problem I'd rather not lay out the expense and the labor. Good looking out though, I appreciate the effort you took with camera and tape 👍🏻