Tall Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Royale Brougham w/ Cheese

Tall Ball Joints

77-85 Olds B bodies ....... Anyone used the "tall" lower ball joints that are sold for racing? Will the .5" longer stud give a half-inch lower ride height? Anyone notice geometry benefits like reduced bump steer?

Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2017, 05:33 AM

I've never heard of "tall" ball joints. If they are available with .5" extra on the stud it will only give you more threads. Unless of course the taper on the ball joint where it meets the spindle is actually .5" higher on the ball joint stud. If that is the case it could totally throw off your steering and alignment angles, I wouldn't do it.

Here you see that there are oversized ball joints available. You might need oversized ball joints if the control arms on your car are worn. If this is the first time the ball joints have been replaced on your car you'll be fine getting stock ones.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/o...ll+joint,10070
Old August 30th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Circle track guys say they improve geometry. For example, here is a discussion I came across:

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/t...joints.429472/

I do plan on lowering my car, between 2-4", as tire clearance allows. I plan on discussing the ball joints with an alignment shop as well, to see what they think.
Old August 30th, 2017, 05:50 AM

Well, I guess they are available. Apparently, the B body and G body use the same ball joints too. I suppose they might lower your car some, but most folks that lower their car to get a "slammed" look use drop spindles or airbag suspension. Plus, if you want to add these ball joints to get increased performance you need to ask yourself what are realistic expectations on increasing the handling of a Delta 88.

This coming from the guy who put "go fast" parts on his 71 98 4 door hardtop.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:00 AM

Right, I'll be lowering it with dropped coil springs. I was thinking that since I need to separate ball joints anyway, maybe these would be useful to do at the same time.
Old August 30th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, a 0.5" taller lower ball joint will drop the front end by about that amount. I question if this improves the suspension geometry, however. On the 1960s cars, the control arm angles and resulting geometry DO benefit from taller spindles or ball joints. The 1977-up cars already have tall spindles from the factory. Using a taller ball joint on top of this may or may not improve geometry, and then only if you have enough suspension adjustment to get the alignment back to where it needs to be. Cranking in more caster than spec will do far more to improve steering feel, I suspect, and it is free.
Old August 30th, 2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, a 0.5" taller lower ball joint will drop the front end by about that amount. I question if this improves the suspension geometry, however. On the 1960s cars, the control arm angles and resulting geometry DO benefit from taller spindles or ball joints. The 1977-up cars already have tall spindles from the factory. Using a taller ball joint on top of this may or may not improve geometry, and then only if you have enough suspension adjustment to get the alignment back to where it needs to be. Cranking in more caster than spec will do far more to improve steering feel, I suspect, and it is free.
Thanks, this is good info to have.