replace mechanical fuel pump with electric

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2017, 01:54 PM

replace mechanical fuel pump with electric

It seems the mechanical pump on my 63 dynamic 88 is no good. The roadside recovery (in a very well equipped mobile workshop) went as far as putting an electric pump onto my mechanical pump inlet and pulled fuel through no problem. It's clear the pump is the problem. I also tested it by cranking with the carb inlet in a plastic bottle. No fuel at all was flowing. The fact the,aftermarket, inline filter was full of Nevada desert sand probably explains that..

​​​​​​​I've decided to go for a Facet electric pump and remove the mechanical pump altogether. Rebuilding kits are available but it's a 3+ week lead time to the UK. I'll put an inline filter between pump and tank.

I'll wire the pump from a battery power supply through a relay. The relay will be ignition powered via an oil pressure switch to open the circuit if oil pressure drops.

I'm sure this is a common modification. If anyone would like to point out a flaw in my plan here I'd be grateful. Better now than after I've installed it!

Thanks as always. Gordon.
Old August 27th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

If you are going to remove the fuel pump , then you will have to fashion some kind of block off plate to cover up the hole . either that or simply leave it in place .
Make sure that the electric pump you buy has an output pressure of LESS than 5 PSI .
Old August 28th, 2017, 02:23 AM

Less than 5PSI? Ok, sounds like I need a pressure regulator as well. The manual states "5 to 6 pounds" which is the spec of pump i went for.
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by SkyBlueRacing
Less than 5PSI? Ok, sounds like I need a pressure regulator as well. The manual states "5 to 6 pounds" which is the spec of pump i went for.
You might be OK at 5 to 6 PSI . No more . Without a regulator .
Try it without one first .
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Gary

Electric fuel pumps (except the ones installed inside the fuel tank) can be very noisy.

Contact the maker of the pump and discuss options to reduce noise.
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:12 PM

In general electric pumps do best when mounted nearest the fuel tank. It's easier for the pump to push gas than it is to try and suck it 15 feet but I have see a few that sucked just fine mounted near the original fuel pump.Electric pumps probably are better constructed today than when I commonly used them and they were quite noisy as mentioned above.... Tedd
Old August 31st, 2017, 04:22 AM

The pump that arrived had the fittings with it, including two rubber isolating mounts so hopefully noise shouldn't be an issue. I will make up a blanking plate for the hole left by the mechanical pump and drain and blank off the return line and tank input...
I think that should be it! Can't wait to hear it running again it's been too long!
Old August 31st, 2017, 05:26 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Y o u can buy a block off plate for a big block Chevy and it will fit perfectly.
Old August 31st, 2017, 09:02 AM

And in the past when I used a electric pump with the rubber insulators and all it still sounded like Woody Wood Pecker was under my car on start up. At least I knew it was working.... Tedd
Old August 31st, 2017, 09:12 AM

Ok, well my experience has only been with old British cars that had electric pumps. I thought that hearing the pump tick was a good sign it was working! Can't say I've ever heard one over the engine and exhaust noise though. I had planned to mount it on the rear facing surface of the seat back. Above the trailing arm mount on right side of car. I thought it'd be easier than drilling the frame and also well out the way of road debris and jacking point.
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:32 PM

From personal experience I would suggest you install a clear fuel filter just in front of the carb. If you install a pressure regulator that doesn't have a bypass, this will allow you some advance warning in case your electric pump decides to start eating it's self from pumping against the restriction that a regulator creates. Chuck