Adding a 3 x 2 carb system to 56 Olds

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Adding a 3 x 2 carb system to 56 Olds

Adding multiple carbs may bring on some unexpected problems. Early on in the game of restoring/customizing my 1956 Olds I decided I wanted to add a 3 x 2 carb setup and an electric fuel pump.
I think the thought of just replacing the old mechanical pump with something more modern and the idea of a cool looking carb system just set the tone for the other changes/additions I’ve made over the years. Ignoring the fact that when I when I finally got around to installing the carb set up I discovered I would have to create new linkage that ran to the other side of the original setup.
In addition, the linkage would also have to reverse the direction and work at a different ratio to work with the transmission kick down linkage. One other thing, I found that the electric pump was going to put out too much pressure, the Hollys can’t handle over 2 psi. So, I bought a fuel pressure regulator and installed it just in front of the carbs and set it to the # 2 setting. After overcoming these opportunities, I thought I had it made. Several years later, when I finally got it running, it was plagued with hard starting when hot, and the carbs seemed to always leaking a little. After a few hundred miles of driving, mostly to iron out other problems I took the carbs apart (Holly 94’s with 1.25 bores) to address some throttle plate sticking issues. I found the float chambers contaminated with what appeared to be small rubber or plastic particles, I guessed the fuel pump was destroying its self, due to the restriction of the pressure regulator. I called the pump mfg. and they suggested another pump
After installing the recommended pump, I also installed a clear, fuel line filter in front of the carbs. Several hundred miles later, I noticed 2 or 3 small particles in the clear filter. I started researching by-pass fuel regulators; they return excess fuel to the gas tank to relieve strain on the pump. I found one that claimed to go down to 2 psi but I still had to figure out where to mount it and how to connect a return line to the tank.
I found that if I turned the battery 180 degrees, moved the main connecting terminal for the + cable and used a longer + cable it opened up a space near the end of the battery across from the carbs. I made a bracket that I contoured to fit the fender liner and mounted the new regulator.
I made a connector to attach to the fill tube on the tank for the return line from the regulator and then put a pressure gage on the regulator and found that even at its lowest setting it was still putting out 3 psi.
So, I added the first regulator back into the system, feeding it from the by-pass system. Using the pressure gage, I had to dial it down to the # 1 setting to get the 2 psi I wanted; there is no direct correlation to the numbers on the gage and actual psi.
I installed another new fuel pump, kept the old one for emergency, and put in a new filter cartridge. About 400 miles now and so far, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1744.JPG (1.74 MB, 17 views)
DSCN1745.JPG (1.77 MB, 17 views)
DSCN1747.JPG (1.70 MB, 16 views)
DSCN1858.JPG (1.71 MB, 16 views)
DSCN1751.JPG (1.76 MB, 15 views)
DSCN1764.JPG (1.65 MB, 17 views)
DSCN1859.JPG (1.69 MB, 16 views)

Last edited by rket56; August 10th, 2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add finished picture
Old August 10th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Nice work, sometimes projects can just snowball when you want to be different.
Old August 11th, 2017, 05:27 AM

Pretty cool!