Found a puddle of Transmission Fluid under my "goldie"

Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:10 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Found a puddle of Transmission Fluid under my "goldie"

Today i finally found the Time to Check Goldie in her Winter Storage. I was Really Scared Ehen i found a Bit puddle of Transmission Fluid under her but i could not see any Drops...
Could it be possible thats a seal was shrinking in low temperature became leaky and is now (at warmer temperatures) tight again?

It seems that not too much ran out as the check with the dipstick almost shown full level (checked with running engine). Any hints or ideas?

If it is a seal (which one would you expect?) can it be replaced without pulling the engine/transmission out of the car?

So far i did not had the chance to look at it in Detail - have to put her on a hoist to say more...

Any tip or advice Welcome...

Additional note: in last Summer she also sat sometimes for 3 to 4 weeks unser, nur i Never had any leak or Drops...

Last edited by snail; May 23rd, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Most of these Old cars will ooze a bit when they sit over the winter and once driven won't leak a drop. I would wipe it up and worry when it becomes a major leak.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by snail
Today i finally found the Time to Check Goldie in her Winter Storage. I was Really Scared Ehen i found a Bit puddle of Transmission Fluid under her but i could not see any Drops...
Could it be possible thats a seal was shrinking in low temperature became leaky and is now (at warmer temperatures) tight again?

It seems that not too much ran out as the check with the dipstick almost shown full level (checked with running engine). Any hints or ideas?

If it is a seal (which one would you expect?) can it be replaced without pulling the engine/transmission out of the car?

So far i did not had the chance to look at it in Detail - have to put her on a hoist to say more...

Any tip or advice Welcome...

Additional note: in last Summer she also sat sometimes for 3 to 4 weeks unser, nur i Never had any leak or Drops...
Yes, this happens to both of my Cutlasses that sits in a long period of time that I see a puddle of trany oil on the garage floor. No matter how I put silicone on both sides of the trany pan gasket or any kind of the best gaskets or a different kind of a trany pan or how much you tighten the bolts, it still leaks. Remember, its metal so when it gets hot, the metal expands and when it gets cold, the metal contracts. We need to drive it more often.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:27 PM

This happens to all three of mine. When the car sits for an extended period, the ATF drains down out of the torque converter, raising the fluid level in the transmission itself. Eventually it reaches something that will leak.

In the car I'm working on right now, I found two leaks - one at the kickdown cable, the other at the speedo cable.

Like Eric suggested, clean it up and drive it. When you regularly find puddles after sitting for a very short period of time you'll know you have a real leak.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...age-leaks.html
Old May 23rd, 2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by vi cutty
this happens to all three of mine. When the car sits for an extended period, the atf drains down out of the torque converter, raising the fluid level in the transmission itself. Eventually it reaches something that will leak.

In the car i'm working on right now, i found two leaks - one at the kickdown cable, the other at the speedo cable.

Like eric suggested, clean it up and drive it. When you regularly find puddles after sitting for a very short period of time you'll know you have a real leak.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...age-leaks.html
x2
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:12 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Thank you guys for the Information ans the provided Link.
That really tranquilizes me...