BRAKE BOOSTER FOR 64 SUPER 88

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM

BRAKE BOOSTER FOR 64 SUPER 88

LOOKING TO BUY A 64 SUPER 88 NEXT WEEK THAT NEEDS A BRAKE BOOSTER. MY FIRST QUESTION IS WILL I BE ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR HOME WITH A FAULTY BOOSTER. A COUPLE PEOPLE HAVE SAID YES AND A COUPLE HAVE SAID NO. MY SECOND QUESTION IS WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY A NEW BOOSTER [I LIVE IN VANCOUVER BRITISH COLUMBIA]. NEW TO THE SITE AND ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM

BRAKE BOOSTER 64 SUPER 88 ANOTHER QUESTION

ALREADY POSTED ABOUT THIS BUT JUST WANTED TO ADD SOME INFO AND ASK ANOTHER QUESTION. ENGINE IS THE STOCK 394 ROCKET OR POSSIBLY SKYROCKET. THERE IS A PARTS PLACE IN MY AREA THAT I PHONED TODAY THAT TOLD ME HE MAY HAVE SOMETHING IF I CAN GIVE HIM THE SIZE OF BOOSTER, PART #, OR MANUFACTURER. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THIS INFO THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DAYBLISSER
LOOKING TO BUY A 64 SUPER 88 NEXT WEEK THAT NEEDS A BRAKE BOOSTER. MY FIRST QUESTION IS WILL I BE ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR HOME WITH A FAULTY BOOSTER. A COUPLE PEOPLE HAVE SAID YES AND A COUPLE HAVE SAID NO. MY SECOND QUESTION IS WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY A NEW BOOSTER [I LIVE IN VANCOUVER BRITISH COLUMBIA]. NEW TO THE SITE AND ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
For safety reasons, the brake system is designed so that even if the brake booster fails, the hydraulic part of the brakes still works. You'll just need to press a lot harder on the brake pedal. You actually need to press even harder than with manual brakes since the power brake system uses a different (less advantageous) leverage ratio on the brake pedal. So long as you allow for that when driving, you'll be fine.

As for folks who say you can't drive it, I find that there are a lot of people out there who have never driven a car without power steering or brakes. When one of these systems fails while they are driving, their immediate reaction is to panic and assume that the brakes or steering doesn't work. They are wrong.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info Joe. The car is on Vancouver Island and I was just worried about getting it home. Once its here I'll figure out where to get a booster. Any sugestions?