Info Needed Please

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Info Needed Please

I have tried to do some searching here, but was wondering if anyone had done any documentation on swapping a 455 into a 63 Eighty-Eight? I am working on a 2 door hardtop with updated suspension, disc brakes and did not want to have to re-invent the wheel if someone could share what they did with engine mounts? go to rack and pinion? Headers that fit, or did you have to revise the driver's side to clear steering box? Thanks for any info you could share.
My big problem I see is that with the Moroso pan, I do not have enough room to move the engine forward enough because of the rear steer center link to give me firewall clearance. I would also like to lower the engine a bit in the front, but I think some front cross member alterations are going to be needed to accomplish lower pulley clearance. Anybody ever put a rack on one of these? It might solve steering box and steering link issues. Thanks!
Old January 15th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, the factory kind of did this with the 1964 Jetstar 88 (the 330 and 455 mount the same way). The 64 J88 chassis has plates welded to the front of the crossmember that accept the rubber motor mounts bolted to the 330. You would need to do the same for your 63 (the 63 and 64 frames are otherwise the same). Obviously you'd also need a different trans crossmember. There are no headers that are even close, period. Your best option is to get the repro "Starfire" driver's side manifold sold by Thorntons. This duplicates the one used on 65-60 full size cars with dual exhaust and routes the outlet up and over the steering box. Good luck with the 7 qt pan - you'll need it. That pan is designed for A-body applications with front steer. Changing over to R&P just to fit that pan is a colossal waste of time and money, in my opinion. Do you really need 7 qts for this car?
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:06 PM

Joe-
Thanks for the insight. We will make some mods to get this thing on the road. The 455 should be fairly healthy ( built by Danny Sarvis) and look forward to making some progress on this one to get it back on the road. Seems he really wants all that pan and headers, so we will have to see what is realistic and how much more fabrication we will need to do.!