56 olds instrument cluster removal

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM

56 olds instrument cluster removal

The shop manual says that the instrument cluster can be removed by taking off the 4 nuts holding the unit in place and then removing it thru the opening in the dash. After turning, twisting etc. I don't see any way to get the unit thru the opening unless I remove the large chrome facing piece that runs across the entire front of the dash. Removal of this chrome piece would be very difficult if not impossible with out removing the a/c. Any one removed the cluster on a 56? The 55's were different. Thax Chuck
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Administrator

This might help
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...r-removal.html
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:13 PM

cluster removal

Thanks Eric. Although I will have to take out the swing pedal assembly and move some of the new wiring I've installed it will be much better than trying to remove the chrome facing on the dash. I'm in process of installing a new duel diaphragm booster and another master cylinder anyway so these are already out of the way. Just means I'll have to wait until I get the speedo repaired before I start putting everything back together. Thax again, Chuck
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Your quite welcome, your car is turning out nicely btw.
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Chuck, I have a/c in my '56 and I don't see why that would be in your way.

It sometimes helps to get a view of the back of the instrument cluster, when you're on your back and the blood is rushing to your head!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Speedometer- rear view.jpg (43.5 KB, 28 views)
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Frank, my a/c is a vintage air unit and blocks ready access to the back of the dash. This only comes in to play if I were going to remove the chrome face piece that extends from the speedo opening to the speaker opening on the passenger side. I might be able to access the fasteners thru the glove box opening but much less risk in damaging the chrome if I drop the pedal assy. I might not have to remove the defroster vent since I have already modified it to allow for the re-route of the speedo cable to avoid the hanging pedal assy. Thanks for your input, Chuck
Old December 15th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Chuck, maybe an exploded view of the dashboard will help:
Attached Images
Dashboard.jpg (763.5 KB, 29 views)
Old December 15th, 2016, 03:48 PM

Thanks again for your efforts Frank. I have this exploded view in the shop manual also, and at this point removing the cluster thru the back, seems to make the most sense. After conferring with my friend with a 55 Olds, his speedo cluster does come out thru the front. As the guy in the post that Eric linked me to, the tail end of the attachment point for the speedo cable is about 1/4 inch too long to come out of the front. It is my belief that the 56 manual carried over the info from the 55 although the cluster is quite different. Thanks again for trying to help. Chuck
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:58 AM

The cluster does come out thru the back. Removing the 3 screws holding in the defroster duct is very difficult but once the duct is out the cluster must be twisted and turned thru the maze of wiring for removal. I intend to replace all the light bulbs in the wiring harness for the cluster before putting the cluster back in. It is very easy to reach thru the front opening and get at the harness with the cluster removed, with the cluster in place, not easy at all. I found a place near Rockford that is doing the restore on the cluster, I should get it back about the end of January. Chuck
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:02 PM

Got the cluster back from being reconditioned

They did a nice job in cleaning/ lubing the speedo. They also replaced the magnets in the gas gage so I'm hoping that will correct the erratic reading I have been getting even with the new tank sender unit and added ground wire. The needles for the gas and speedo were re-painted, the back side of the case was cleaned and the chrome on the front all buffed. I hope to start putting in back in later this week and then start putting the pedal assembly and new 2x diaphragm booster back in.
Attached Images
DSCN1742.JPG (1.57 MB, 21 views)
DSCN1743.JPG (1.55 MB, 20 views)
Old January 17th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Administrator

They did some awesome work.
Old January 18th, 2017, 01:50 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Very nice indeed.