My '64 Dynamic 88 Convertible is coming along

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Forward into the Past

My '64 Dynamic 88 Convertible is coming along

So I was down at my parents' for Thanksgiving and Dad gave me a little update on the '64 Dynamic 88 convertible. He said his buddy has done a complete brake system rebuild on it and is working on getting the engine running for the first time since 1986. Right now, he's got the plugs out and engine full of Marvel Mystery Oil in an effort to get things freed up. Dad did the same thing to his 1923 Hudson back in the early '80s when it had been sitting since sometime in the '50s. There's still no definite timetable for it to be done. It just kind of depends on when and how much this guy can work on it, but it is definitely moving close enough to the proverbial front burner that I'm to the point of adding a carport to my house for it.

I know several folks have asked me to post photos of it and I'll do it as soon as I take some but I still haven't seen the car since about 2004.

I've only been waiting to get hold of this car since 1978, so I reckon I can hold out just a little longer.
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Look forward to some pictures and updates.
Old November 28th, 2016, 06:24 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
look forward to some pictures and updates.
x2
Old December 26th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Forward into the Past

I visited my parents' over Christmas and was kind of hoping for some news on the car but there wasn't really anything to update. Dad's friend is still piddling with it, trying to get it running, but no new milestones have been reached since Thanksgiving. I was kind of hoping Dad would put a set of keys to it under the Christmas tree but I'm not giving up hope. The car will run again and it will eventually find its way to my driveway.
Old March 31st, 2017, 07:53 PM
Forward into the Past

After three months of no news, I talked to Dad this evening and he said the car is running and is "yard drivable", which I guess means it can move under its own power but it isn't yet road ready. I'm going to visit them over Easter and I'm hoping there will be time to go and see the car and talk to the guy who's working on it. I've been procrastinating putting up a carport because there didn't seem any point if the car wasn't coming anytime soon, but maybe it's time to look into it.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 09:29 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Human
After three months of no news, I talked to Dad this evening and he said the car is running and is "yard drivable", which I guess means it can move under its own power but it isn't yet road ready. I'm going to visit them over Easter and I'm hoping there will be time to go and see the car and talk to the guy who's working on it. I've been procrastinating putting up a carport because there didn't seem any point if the car wasn't coming anytime soon, but maybe it's time to look into it.
Good luck !
Old April 2nd, 2017, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Your moving in the right direction.
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Forward into the Past

I got an interesting update from my dad a little while ago. He told me I needed to go ahead and get the carport done because his buddy who's been working on it has been getting a lot of pressure from his wife to "get the yard cleaned up". Translation: get some of the project cars finished up and out of there. With a fire finally lit up under him, I may actually be seeing the car sooner rather than later. I guess this is one time when I can be thankful for a nagging wife--and especially that it's somebody else's nagging wife!

Last edited by Human; April 13th, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Phantom Phixer

Congrats!
Once you drive one of these "big girls" you will fall in love .
Old April 14th, 2017, 04:02 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Congrats!
Once you drive one of these "big girls" you will fall in love .
Do yourself an early favor and enclose the carport on at leat 3 sides for some protection. After all these years, that car deserves some extra TLC.
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:51 PM
Forward into the Past

I got a call today from the city planning department and my building permit application has been rejected because the free-standing prefab metal carport would be too close to the house. Has to be five feet away. So now it's back to the old drawing board. I'm thinking an attached carport may have a better chance for approval. Of course, that will be much more expensive than the $900 structure I was looking at.
Old May 27th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Forward into the Past

I talked with my dad's friend who's working on the convertible and things are not quite as far along as I was led to believe--not by a long shot. He said he's got the parts to rebuild the rear brakes but hasn't put them on yet. Same with the plugs, points, distributor and spark plug wires. Dad had led me to believe the car was actually running but the mechanic has only turned the engine over by hand. Frustrating, but at least I don't feel quite so much pressure to put up the carport.

Speaking of carports, I talked with a guy at a company in Greensboro who sells the metal carports and he said that while the city does require a building permit for one, their enforcement is lax at best and they have never heard back from a customer who put one up without a permit and ran afoul of the city for doing so. I'm not saying that's what I'm planing to do, but it's interesting information none the less.
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Administrator

The problem you have now is you've been rejected once and on their radar. If your luck is like mine, it will be a financial issue down the road.
Old May 29th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The problem you have now is you've been rejected once and on their radar. If your luck is like mine, it will be a financial issue down the road.
Yeah, sometimes it feels like I tend to get punished whether I do the right thing or the wrong thing.
Old February 24th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Forward into the Past

So my '64 convertible is now officially in limbo. My dad had a stroke in October and passed away last week, about six weeks shy of his 84th birthday. His buddy who's been working on the car, trying to get it road worthy after sitting for more than 30 years, had a heart attack in the summer and told me in Dad's hospital room last fall that he wasn't planning to resume work on the car until this spring. A few weeks ago, he got hit by a pickup truck while he was getting his mail out of the mailbox. This guy's life is like a bad country song. I saw him at the funeral yesterday but didn't have an opportunity to talk with him, nor was it really the place to do so. This project just seems totally jinxed. Sorry, just had to vent.
Old February 24th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Administrator

My condolences to you, family, and friends. Maybe its time to just trailer it to your place.
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Forward into the Past

Yeah, or have it trailered to someone who can actually do the work. Dad had some extreme control issues, so I was inclined to just take a hands-off approach. This project really isn't something that needs to be on Mom's plate at all, so it's going to be up to me to make some decisions about it and come up with a plan for completion. It's been gorgeous outside today--perfect convertible weather--and I would have loved to have been able to take the car out for a a little ride to remember Dad.
Old February 24th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Phantom Phixer

My condolences for your loss .
As others have suggested , have the car towed to your place . Get a sheltered place for it . Even if it is a temporary tent - like structure .
These cars are fairly simple mechanically , back in the day , a high school drop - out might still learn how to be a successful mechanic .
You might consider rolling up your sleeves , and getting your hands dirty . You'll be amazed at how much fun it can be .
These cars don't require a lot of special tools or equipment to repair them .

The one thing you will need though is a 1964 Oldsmobile Shop Manual ;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...anual&_sacat=0
It's a five volume set , and includes information on both "big " cars and F-85"s .
The information is very detailed and systems are explained . Best of all , it was written by the guys who designed and built your Olds .
At least with the manual , when you are faced with a job , you can look thru the manual and decide whether you want to tackle it yourself or "farm it out " . And , of course , there's always plenty of experienced help here on classicoldsmobile.com:

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 24th, 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old February 26th, 2018, 01:42 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Sorry for your dad's loss. Since the car is in the Charlotte area, would you like me to get you some names of some reputable guys who are Olds-savvy?

And if you like this year, I'll make arrangements to get you to AutoFair.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 10:01 AM
Forward into the Past

Thanks Brian. That's great on both counts.