Added a 67 Delta to the collection

Old March 5th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

It's aliiiive!

Got the 67 running again for the first time since I pulled it into the shop. Got the tail pipes built and installed. Just need to finish up the S-turns that line up with the stainless tips. The 20" Dynomax Turbos are louder than I expected, though the fact that the tail pipes don't yet go all the way to the bumper may have something to do with that. Amazingly no leaks from the PS system, despite installing a new pump and the Monte SS quick ratio box. I used the conversion flare seats that press into the O-ring ports on the metric boxes. They were pretty loose, so I was concerned, but no issues. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be doing a valve job before too long, but the smoke may have been residual oil from sitting so long. It seemed to clear up as I let it run longer. Lots of black smoke too - the carb needs a rebuild.
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:25 PM

awesome, well I hope its just the carb! I must say that yes the Dynomax turbos are not exactly quiet but...they do sound great don't they! can't wait to see some video of it running and updated pictures!
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It's aliiiive!
Excellent! How long since the car last ran?
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Excellent! How long since the car last ran?
When I brought it home last fall. Atypically for me, I actually drove a new acquisition on and off the trailer.

Car has been apart for suspension, brakes, steering, exhaust, etc. Getting dangerously close to getting it back on the ground.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:05 AM

Sounds like it's coming along well! That's great to hear. Nice work on the exhaust, too. Certainly a big step up over the hack-job dual setup it had before.
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Joe, a few questions about the Monte SS steering box. Was it a rebuilt box and how is the handling? Thanks
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Joe, a few questions about the Monte SS steering box. Was it a rebuilt box and how is the handling? Thanks
The Monte box was a used one I got off of ebay a while ago. Had it in my 84 Custom Cruiser first. Pulled it out, cleaned it up, and bolted it into the D88. I still have to align the front end, so I haven't driven it any distance other than along the farm road at slow speeds. Steering effort is definitely higher than on the original "one finger" box (and consistent with how it felt in the 84).

I did finally get the car back on the ground and moving under it's own power today. The front wheels in this photo are only temporary until I finish the alignment. I didn't want to scratch up the new aluminum wheels with the alignment gauge.

Old March 25th, 2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Monte box was a used one I got off of ebay a while ago. Had it in my 84 Custom Cruiser first. Pulled it out, cleaned it up, and bolted it into the D88. I still have to align the front end, so I haven't driven it any distance other than along the farm road at slow speeds. Steering effort is definitely higher than on the original "one finger" box (and consistent with how it felt in the 84).

I did finally get the car back on the ground and moving under it's own power today. The front wheels in this photo are only temporary until I finish the alignment. I didn't want to scratch up the new aluminum wheels with the alignment gauge.

Hi,Joe how many turns lock to lock with the Monte box and what kind of shocks you running on your car. Nice progress on your Delta.
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:45 PM
GM Enthusiast

Haven't been on here in a while and wanted to say hi Joe and nice work so far. Car looks really clean, can you post more pictures?
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by eric66
Hi,Joe how many turns lock to lock with the Monte box and what kind of shocks you running on your car. Nice progress on your Delta.
It's a 12.7:1 constant ratio box, which I believe gives you about 2.5 turns.

Shocks are KYBs, but read this thread. Haven't had the car above 30 MPH yet, so I can't comment on the suspension, but with everything new in the front and new springs and shocks all around, it is quiet. The exhaust is actually quieter now that the car is outside on the ground, the clamps are all tight, and the tail pipes run all the way past the back bumper. Inside it isn't appreciably louder than the stock exhaust on my wife's 1985 D88.
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Haven't been on here in a while and wanted to say hi Joe and nice work so far. Car looks really clean, can you post more pictures?
Thanks. I need to hose off the bird droppings and polish the bumpers before taking more/better photos.

I was hopping to get the front end aligned and the new wheels and tires installed too.
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Hey Joe!!! I haven't been around here in a while and just wanted to say Congrats on the new 88!!! Looks great!!!
Old August 27th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

An update and a rant about idiot "mechanics".

As you may know, I've been trying to get this 67 D88 on the road for about a year now. At every step, I've take three steps backward thanks to the idiots who have worked on this car previously. To recap, every bit of rubber was gone from the bushings in the front suspension, so someone welded a nut to the side of the lower control arm to limit steering movement. Likely this same someone stuffed a Saginaw center link into the Thompson idler and pitman arms, screwing up both the new center link and the idler arm. The brakes were hosed and someone had even left out the self adjuster arms. The dual exhaust fitted to the incorrect single exhaust manifolds had required the driver side down pipe to be nearly squashed flat to clear the starter and steering linkage.

The wires to the headlights had been cut and spliced (apparently that was easier than just disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs when the front end was replaced after a crash), but the "splices" were simply twisted wire with gummy electrical tape and the copper was an attractive shade of green. The incorrect heater core had been forced into the HVAC box, causing it to crack and since the retainer straps couldn't be installed around the core, they just cut them. Of course, someone managed to break the hard plastic ducting under the dash, requiring me to fiberglass it back together.

The valve seals on the 425 were in pieces blocking the drainback holes, so I swapped it for the rebuilt 455 I had taking up space in the shop. The vacuum hoses for the HVAC were a complete mess. The main wire from the alternator BATT terminal to the horn relay was melted for it's entire length, so someone just re-wrapped that harness with electrical tape.

The latest problem is the carb. This is the relatively rare 7027156 Qjet with the side inlet. Naturally the inlet fitting threads were stripped. Fortunately, I had a repair fitting that bites enough to seal. I've bent a new fuel line and installed an external filter. Now that I have the car running and mobile with the 455, I decided it was time to rebuild that carb. What a mess!

The carb has obviously been apart before. Every screw on it was loose. The choke shaft was bent - how the heck does that happen? The spring on the fast idle cam follower has been completely distorted and wound around. This early Qjet has the sheet metal well plugs that are prone to leaking and naturally someone gooped epoxy all over them. Naturally this is not fuel-resistant expoxy... I have the correct o-ring repair plugs, so I was planning to replace them anyway, but naturally this is more cleanup time.

People who suck this much at mechanical tasks should not be allowed to own tools. Here's the choke shaft as an example of what I'm dealing with.