68 delmont 88 disk brake swap- Was this ever ironed out

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Ben

68 delmont 88 disk brake swap- Was this ever ironed out

Waaaay back around 2001 when i had my 68 delmont, it was determined that there were no front drum brakes available for it, and apparently nothing would interchange from other full size GM cars (never understood why since a-body stuff swaps readily between GM makes), so I had to stick with drums that had already been turned beyond tolerance... brakes on that thing would get scary hot. you could smell them everytime you parked the car.

anyway- Since then every now and then I'd see someone referring to the scarebird conversions for these, or asking the same question if there was any way to swap or change... etc etc.

I'm contemplating another 68 delmont that I stumbled across... but the brakes are my number once concern after my last one. If the only option is the unobtainium original drums, then i may pass.

Can anyone fill me in- are there front disk brake kits or swap parts from another full size GM car that would work for the 67/68 full size oldsmobiles?

Thanks!
Ben

Last edited by RAMBOW; June 15th, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old June 16th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Apparently Scarebird is making kits to solve this problem. Check it out!

https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...tegory&path=62
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
and apparently nothing would interchange from other full size GM cars (never understood why since a-body stuff swaps readily between GM makes),
Because these aren't A-bodies.

The Olds and Buick front suspension was different from the Chevy and Pontiac front suspension on the 1965-70 full size cars. Disk brakes were not common in those years, and Olds/Buick full size cars are not popular, so there are almost no aftermarket sources for them.
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:14 PM

Ben, this is John down in Medford Oregon. I've got a 1970 Delta 88 parts car with front disc brakes. I haven't got them pulled off yet, but if your interested in the brakes send me a PM or email and I'll get the details for you. John
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Olds and Buick front suspension was different from the Chevy and Pontiac front suspension on the 1965-70 full size cars.
THIS!!!!This is the bit of info that has not been spelled out before, so thanks for including it!

I assumed this was the case- Do you know any more details about what exactly is different between the makes? Is the frame the same but the a-arms & spindles different, or is it a whole different front frame section?

just wanting to understand the differences, to figure out if there may be another option, just involving getting more parts from a donor vehicle than just the drums.

-----
John- I appreciate the offer, but as mentioned above, if i do decide to go after this car, I'd rather do a swap with more easily available parts.

Just looking for direct feedback from someone else with a b-body car from this era who has actually done the swap.

Last edited by RAMBOW; June 17th, 2016 at 10:33 AM.