'67 A6 Compressor - Shaft seal won't come out?

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2016, 12:14 PM

'67 A6 Compressor - Shaft seal won't come out?

Not sure how many folks here are familiar with the front seal system of the A6 compressor, but I seem to be having a bit of trouble with a shaft seal replacement.

I finally started to tackle the seal in my '67 Delta's original compressor. The seal just... Won't come out. I got the snap ring out and pulled the seal from its seat with the puller tool, but then found that there's a fairly large metal ridge, kind of like a machined-in, permanent snap ring, on the outer walls which is preventing me from pulling the seal all the way out.

Any of the tutorials I've seen on this subject do not seem to show a ridge like this. Are there certain A6s out there which have to be further pulled apart to remove the shaft seal from within? I'm not sure why they'd design it that way since it seems like it'd make production a little more difficult (and service, a lot more difficult).

Quick poll: How many of you go with the double-lip seal swap when restoring AC to your vintage Olds? I've heard that like a timing cover seal, the lip could wear a small groove in the main shaft, in time, but allegedly it stops all the oil slinging... Seems like a reasonable trade-off compared with the ceramic seal.
Old May 9th, 2016, 12:38 PM

Edit: Never mind, dumb question. After cleaning the grime from the snout a little more thoroughly I noticed the seam, and was easily able to pry out the collar piece sitting in the snout. Not mentioned in the service manual seal removal procedure so wasn't aware that there was a removable piece stuffed in there. Live and learn.