Saving a 67 Delta HC found on CL

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2019, 11:27 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Saving a 67 Delta HC found on CL

So I was purusing CL yesterday and came across a 67 Delta Holiday Coupe about 3 hours from me. Appears to be in nice shape but has had some serious and not kind wheel modifications done (24" chrome on Nittos), plus a gauge and radio cluster box added to the hump, some thumper bass in the trunk and a stereo amp where the rear tire would lay up on the deck. The car has a vinyl top in what appears to be VGC, showing 71K miles. Was originally Pewter with grey cloth and vinyl, now cosmic blue with a vertical fender stripe reminiscent of an early 442. Contacted the owner and he says he has owned the car 1.5 years and had suspension done with new bushings in control arms. Engine is 425 and has been rebuilt from Jasper with TH400, also rebuilt and all come with transferable warranty.

The Delta isn't my first choice (I'd rather have a CS with Turnpike Cruising option) but the 67 grill design is growing on me along with the fastback window design of thes big coupes. I feel like maybe I should save this car from its current owner and restomod it back to something a little less flamboyant. A repaint back to pewter, disc brake conversion, a little lowering and 15" SSI wheels on redlines would be my deal. He is asking $20; I'm thinking $8-$10 tops.

What say the Olds world?
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by btw
a little lowering and 15" SSI wheels on redlines would be my deal.
No.

You can't put SS wheels on a B/C body (without bolt pattern adapters). The B/C body cars were 5x5" bolt pattern until 1976. The SS wheels were 5x4.75" bolt pattern.

Other than that I think it would be an AWESOME car. Be aware that the 65-70 B/C bodies have UNOBTANIUM disc brake parts; as well as, specific exhaust manifolds needed for dual exhaust.
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:30 PM

i think that car is gorgeous with maybe just a wheel change.the original drum brakes on those cars are adequate and fairly large.i think the front end looks quite a bit like a 68 442 and extremely attractive.true about the big bolt pattern on the wheels but there are a few options.rebuilding the 425 and 400 is worth quite a bit in itself,the dual exhaust S manifold for the driver's side is reproduced.i dont think there is much of a market for those B body cars and doubt they will get close to 20k even though there could be that much in it.i've owned a 66 88 convertible for 27 years and it doesn't get much attention and i sold one a few years ago that i had trouble getting $8500 for so they dont bring much money.a great car to own/drive.hope you save it,good luck! jc
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:46 PM

Oops!
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:47 PM

All I gotta say is, for $20,000, the windshield wipers should properly park themselves when switched off.

Old March 7th, 2019, 12:51 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Olds64
No.

You can't put SS wheels on a B/C body (without bolt pattern adapters).
Well there is the second choice to go with Cragers. I've got a set of 14" KH I can always powder to the car's paint and run a hot rodder setup.
Old March 7th, 2019, 12:55 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by jaunty75
All I gotta say is, for $20,000, the windshield wipers should properly park themselves when switched off.

Then there is that....did these base Delta come with chrome rockers and fender trim? I think I'm about right on the pricing. The young man who has it likely overpaid and I can't continue that unreasonableness. I would add a/c as well.

Last edited by btw; March 7th, 2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old March 7th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a data point. I paid $3500 for this 67 Delta, in this condition. That's the original trim for a Delta. The Delmont and Delta Custom had different trim. Given the difficulty in finding some of the 67 full size steering and suspension parts, be skeptical of claims of replacement. Too many times I've seen the wrong parts get hammered into place. I'll also note that despite the fact that I drove this car onto and off of the trailer, I'll have well over $15K into it by the time I get it done. That price includes rebuilt engine and trans, posi conversion, new suspension, steering, and exhaust, disc brake conversion, bucket seat conversion with console, new upholstery, and new paint.

Note to Jaunty: if you turn off the key with the wipers on, they stop like that.

Old March 7th, 2019, 01:22 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Thanks Joe. Yes I've seen very little support for replacement pot metal and trim on these cars. The fact that you found one in that condition is extraordinary.
Old March 7th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by btw
Thanks Joe. Yes I've seen very little support for replacement pot metal and trim on these cars. The fact that you found one in that condition is extraordinary.
There is zero support, other than replacement DELTA emblems. FYI, that side trim is all stainless, not pot metal. Unfortunately, it still isn't available. You'll note the cleverly installed wood screws that a P.O. used to hold the front fender wheel opening trim in place.
Old March 7th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Note to Jaunty: if you turn off the key with the wipers on, they stop like that.
I understand. I have one of these, too. But you would think that, if you're trying to sell a car for $20,000, you'd at least turn off the wipers before you switched off the ignition!
Old March 8th, 2019, 06:47 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Here's a data point. I paid $3500 for this 67 Delta, in this condition. That's the original trim for a Delta. The Delmont and Delta Custom had different trim. Given the difficulty in finding some of the 67 full size steering and suspension parts, be skeptical of claims of replacement. Too many times I've seen the wrong parts get hammered into place. I'll also note that despite the fact that I drove this car onto and off of the trailer, I'll have well over $15K into it by the time I get it done. That price includes rebuilt engine and trans, posi conversion, new suspension, steering, and exhaust, disc brake conversion, bucket seat conversion with console, new upholstery, and new paint.

You're about due for a new Hudson Bros. trailer. Let me know if you need a hook up on that.
Old March 8th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by btw
You're about due for a new Hudson Bros. trailer. Let me know if you need a hook up on that.

Yeah, I've had that one for about 20 years now. No complaints.
Old March 8th, 2019, 08:54 AM

The "Big Girls" are money pits. I jokingly say expect 50 cents return on each dollar spent and your labor is free. The A bodies are also money pits but one may break even on the money spent but labor is still free. Designer cars (442, A body convertibles) you'll get a little better return, if you're doing most of your work. I'd be interested in finding what that car sells for. All my comments are jmo.
Old March 8th, 2019, 09:12 AM

To Joe P. I remember reading your thread about your return trip when you picked up your 1967 Delta. I live about 8 miles from Canfield Oh. where you had a bearing problem. Now speaking "tongue in cheek" think about all the added cost and time and effort for getting your Delta. I've had similar experiences during my car travel adventures. That's part of the reason I call them "money pits."
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:43 AM

No way is that car worth $20,000, good luck finding the side trim in decent condition. I had this car in Pewter Grey with grey interior and black vinyl top in 1974 and had a hard time then finding parts for it. I think it's worth 5-6 thousand, he has changed too much on the car. For that kind of money I would keep looking and pass on it. That's just my opinion.
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kennybill
To Joe P. I remember reading your thread about your return trip when you picked up your 1967 Delta. I live about 8 miles from Canfield Oh. where you had a bearing problem. Now speaking "tongue in cheek" think about all the added cost and time and effort for getting your Delta. I've had similar experiences during my car travel adventures. That's part of the reason I call them "money pits."
You'll note that it's been nearly two years and I still haven't finished a car that ran when I got it.

The reality is that with very, VERY few exceptions, you'll NEVER make money restoring a car. I figure that the only car I own that will be worth more than I put into it is my 69 H/O. I figure I can finish it right for $40-45K, and values are running in the $75-90K range at auction. If you are paying someone to do the work, you'll never be above water. When I said I'll have $15K into my 67, that's parts and materials only. I'm doing every bit of work myself (except upholstery). I'd be hard pressed to get $10K for the car when it's done. I don't doubt that the seller of the car discussed in this thread has $20K into it - which is not saying that I think it's worth that much.

I look at it differently. I have no delusion that I'm restoring these cars to make a profit. I'm doing it for me. When I finish the 67, I'll have exactly the car I want, it will be brand new, and I couldn't have bought a new car that was at all close to it for four or five times the money. I plan to drive it daily - at least for three seasons out of the year. Same concept for the 85 D88 that I just bought for my wife. I paid well above market ($8K) for a 1985 Delta with 5000 miles on it. The car is brand new. She plans to drive the wheels off of it. The way I look at it, where else could I have found her a brand new, cushy, six passenger car with a V8 and RWD for four times that amount? And this one doesn't have the electronic nanny crap, and I can fix it in my sleep.
Old March 9th, 2019, 01:25 AM

The "Big Girls" are money pits. I jokingly say expect 50 cents return on each dollar spent and your labor is free. The A bodies are also money pits but one may break even on the money spent but labor is still free. Designer cars (442, A body convertibles) you'll get a little better return, if you're doing most of your work. I'd be interested in finding what that car sells for. All my comments are jmo.
If you get one the of the Big Girls it better be out of love .The only return I get on money spent is priceless memories of time cruising with the family.
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:36 AM

I wish I only had "one." I have the ones in the pictures plus a couple more. In the nineties I started dragging Oldsmobiles off hills and out of fields for the engines. Some I took a liking too and instead of parting them out, they became my "Money Pits."
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:42 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by San Fernando Olds
No way is that car worth $20,000, good luck finding the side trim in decent condition. I had this car in Pewter Grey with grey interior and black vinyl top in 1974 and had a hard time then finding parts for it. I think it's worth 5-6 thousand, he has changed too much on the car. For that kind of money I would keep looking and pass on it. That's just my opinion.
I've already braced the seller that my offer will be far less than half with some details as how I came up with my numbers based off conversations with Oldsmobile enthusists like those mentioned here. I finally got the plate numbers off the car: 4th week of March 67 build, VV paint (antique pewter), Linden NJ assembly, #3237 line sequence, 361 trim (pewter cloth) and 493 accessory # (anyone know it?)

VIN 35887E146260

I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by btw; March 11th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by btw
I've already braced the seller that my offer will be far less than half with some details as how I came up with my numbers based off conversations with Oldsmobile enthusists like those mentioned here. I finally got the plate numbers off the car: 4th week of March 67 build, VV paint (antique pewter), Linden NJ assembly, #3237 line sequence, 361 trim (pewter cloth) and 493 accessory # (anyone know it?)

VIN 35887E146260

I'll let you know what happens.
I assume that accessory number is A93, which would be power door locks. Too bad about the repaint. A pewter car with pewter cloth interior would be pretty cool.
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:56 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I jokingly say expect 50 cents return on each dollar spent and your labor is free. The A bodies are also money pits but one may break even on the money spent but labor is still free. Designer cars (442, A body convertibles) you'll get a little better return, if you're doing most of your work. I'd be interested in finding what that car sells for. All my comments are jmo.
That has been a rule of thumb (King Thumbdom) for many years and is good sound advice. I purchased a 1970 Corvette in July 2003. I drove it everywhere and enjoyed it thoroughly. Last July I sold it for what I paid for it in July 2003. I considered that to be a win-win.

I'm not a marque car purchaser with an expectation to swing for the fences on every sale. It just doesn't happen.
Old March 11th, 2019, 09:58 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I assume that accessory number is A93, which would be power door locks. Too bad about the repaint. A pewter car with pewter cloth interior would be pretty cool.
Correct Joe, A93. PDL is a nice option; a/c would have been great too. Yes the repaint is a debbie downer.
Old March 12th, 2019, 07:57 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

My cash offer was $7000; he countered at $10000. I wished him well in his efforts and went on my way.
Old March 12th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Keep an eye on CL. After the car gets relisted three or four times with no other offers, he might be more receptive. I've had success doing that.
Old March 12th, 2019, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by btw
My cash offer was $7000; he countered at $10000. I wished him well in his efforts and went on my way.
He'll be calling you back ,My car the Previous owner had it on craigslist over a year off and on .The market for the big girls is not their like for A Body